joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014-15 Lakes/Ohio Valley Snowfall Contest

Chicago WX

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I lived over on the NE side of Norther Lower I would not be able to take it knowing that about 80-100 to my West is getting 100+ more inches of snow a year.

to make matters worse, in the spring you often have some type of easterly component to the wind making it cooler there than a place like Gaylord. So you can watch Gaylord get the LES in the winter and have warmer spring weather too. I think NE lower does get more t storms though if you're into that.

to make matters worse, in the spring you often have some type of easterly component to the wind making it cooler there than a place like Gaylord. So you can watch Gaylord get the LES in the winter and have warmer spring weather too. I think NE lower does get more t storms though if you're into that.

Usually the higher elevations such as my area are the first to get snow especially LES and are the last to lose it.  I don't think many places in Northern lower get storms, at least not compared to where I used to live in southern Michigan.  I am a winter guy anyway and prefer the snow. Although the first yer we moved to Gaylord, there was a confirmed tornado that touched down approximately 4 miles due south of me, went right over i75. So if can happen but pretty rare.

for fun

2014-15's snow totals

attachicon.gifAnnual_snow14-15.png

After seeing that map I can see why I never used our snow blower last winter up at our place. Around 40" of snow is about half of normal for our area. The past 2 winters have been really cold so what snow did fall stuck around pretty good most of the winter even though they were both well below normal snowfall wise.

After seeing that map I can see why I never used our snow blower last winter up at our place. Around 40" of snow is about half of normal for our area. The past 2 winters have been really cold so what snow did fall stuck around pretty good most of the winter even though they were both well below normal snowfall wise.

wow 2013-14 was below normal? That is the benchmark for epic/historic winter in southeast Michigan.

wow 2013-14 was below normal? That is the benchmark for epic/historic winter in southeast Michigan.

Almost all of Northern Lower was at normal or below for the season, I missed my average by about 2 inches although that doesn't tell the whole story considering we received almost a 100" in November. Which meant from December - April we only got about 39" more inches which is pretty incredible if you think about it. 

snowtable.png

Almost all of Northern Lower was at normal or below for the season, I missed my average by about 2 inches although that doesn't tell the whole story considering we received almost a 100" in November. Which meant from December - April we only got about 39" more inches which is pretty incredible if you think about it. 

snowtable.png

Great point Josh. After Nov, most of northern lower had a so so winter snow wise and the places that didn't get the heavy lake snows in Nov had a pretty bad winter "snow wise" over all. I think snow freek was was surprised to hear we had a below avg snow season up around Higgins two winters back in 13/14 because of the great snow that fell in south east MI and pretty much everywhere that year but the non snow belts of northern lower. I'm already looking forward to this coming winter even though there talking about a El Nino.

Great point Josh. After Nov, most of northern lower had a so so winter snow wise and the places that didn't get the heavy lake snows in Nov had a pretty bad winter "snow wise" over all. I think snow freek was was surprised to hear we had a below avg snow season up around Higgins two winters back in 13/14 because of the great snow that fell in south east MI and pretty much everywhere that year but the non snow belts of northern lower. I'm already looking forward to this coming winter even though there talking about a El Nino.

you are correct,.I was referring to 2013-14 when Detroit (94.9") & Toledo, OH (86.3") broke their all-time seasonal record.

It doesnt surprise me that 2014-15 was below normal. Detroit only finished 5" above normal, though a second consecutive winter of deep snowpack was certainly not typical of SE MI.

you are correct,.I was referring to 2013-14 when Detroit (94.9") & Toledo, OH (86.3") broke their all-time seasonal record.

It doesnt surprise me that 2014-15 was below normal. Detroit only finished 5" above normal, though a second consecutive winter of deep snowpack was certainly not typical of SE MI.

I do not think Toledos record will ever be broken again. It smashed the previous one of 73" which had 6" more than second place and 23" more than 10th. Best analogy I've used is home runs, it was basically like watching someone have an 86 Home Run season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not think Toledos record will ever be broken again. It smashed the previous one of 73" which had 6" more than second place and 23" more than 10th. Best analogy I've used is home runs, it was basically like watching someone have an 86 Home Run season

Sent from my iPhone

Never say never. Winters have certainly trended snowier in our region.

Archived