Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Hurricane Arthur

Brick Tamland

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Psshtt I doubt it. Looks to me like the COC is racing NW away from the convection in the last few images unless my eyes are playing tricks. Hvward what do you see?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/91L/imagery/swir-animated.gif

I'm nearly due west and on the coast of this right now and it's a pretty big meh. Western side issues of a struggling TC embryo look to win out.

Indoor pool would work best.

I swam in hurricane Glady's in 1968.  I was in the army and several of us went to Virginia Beach.  It was awesome.  Ocean was solid white.  My buddy got slammed on the bottom dislocating his shoulder and breaking two ribs.  When he couldn't report for duty on Monday the army, in its infinite wisdom, gave him an Article 15 for misuse of government property.  

Psshtt I doubt it. Looks to me like the COC is racing NW away from the convection in the last few images unless my eyes are playing tricks. Hvward what do you see?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/91L/imagery/swir-animated.gif

Yeah we will have to see if that convection backs and closes off or if the dry air inhibits this.  Oh the joy of tracking hurricanes.

I swam in hurricane Glady's in 1968.  I was in the army and several of us went to Virginia Beach.  It was awesome.  Ocean was solid white.  My buddy got slammed on the bottom dislocating his shoulder and breaking two ribs.  When he couldn't report for duty on Monday the army, in its infinite wisdom, gave him an Article 15 for misuse of government property.  

Haha awesome story!

Yeah we will have to see if that convection backs and closes off or if the dry air inhibits this.  Oh the joy of tracking hurricanes.

Haha awesome story!

It was one of he dumbest things I've ever done and one of the most fun.  I didn't come out unscathed. I looked like I had tangled with every alley cat in Norfolk.  That sand hurt.  I could hardly bend my arms and legs, but I managed to report for duty and avoided the colonel's wrath.

I'm lolling right with you as a member in Port St. Lucie. Even our mod is telling stories that happened 46 years ago.

What are the winds like in your area? 1mph? 2mph? Have you boarded up your windows? Do you have your hurricane kit ready? Lol the eyewall is right offshore from you.

Now when I look at radar it looks like there are multiple centers. I think the one in the deepest convection may become the dominant one and that is when we will start to see some more substantial intensification once we have one real consolidated center.

What are the winds like in your area? 1mph? 2mph? Have you boarded up your windows? Do you have your hurricane kit ready? Lol the eyeball is right offshore from you.

Now when I look at radar it looks like there are multiple centers. I think the one in the deepest convection may become the dominant one and that is when we will start to see some more substantial intensification once we have one real consolidated center.

Actually partly cloudy and as still as night can be! It is always surreal to be so close yet so far from a TC that could possibly be in real genesis mode. We shall se in the AM.

radar_flanim.gif

What are the winds like in your area? 1mph? 2mph? Have you boarded up your windows? Do you have your hurricane kit ready? Lol the eyewall is right offshore from you.

You better get ready.  If that thing hits Waycross, it could cause hundreds of dollars of improvements.

The current forecast track is the one most folks along the coast are hoping for ( or even east of that ),  anything west of there would be a disaster for NC beaches on one of the biggest weekends of the year for businesses etc...Even a fast moving Cat 1 would create a bunch of issues and Hwy 12 is sure to over wash in several locations stranding people all up and down the OBX.

So, the track was more west, and then it moved back more east. Any chance it could move back west again, or further east?

Really? You know better to ask that or you should. The current track will most likely be wrong to some degree east or west but its impossible to tell at this time which. The thing about a track like this is if the turn flattens out even for a few hrs it can make a huge difference between wide right to running right into Swansboro. There is a pretty good consensus on the overall track but 100 miles either side of the current track is very much in the game right now.

So, the track was more west, and then it moved back more east. Any chance it could move back west again, or further east?

It will probably remain offshore, Brick.  This was not really ever much of a threat to go inland, regardless of what the models were showing.  The incoming trough is quite strong and will deflect the system east.  The beaches should be fine this weekend.  Hopefully, the front will bring us a few raindrops, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I wonder if there's any chance of severe weather from the system once it gets closer. I notice storms in my local forecast for Thursday.

I'm hearing that most of the rain will be east of I-95 and amounts may be around a couple of inches.  It's still a bit early to make any firm predictions, but the piedmont may not see much from soon-to-be Arthur.  Our rain may be from the typical summer convective storms.

I wonder if there's any chance of severe weather from the system once it gets closer. I notice storms in my local forecast for Thursday.

The only members in the SE that will be impacted are AFJO62, downeastnc?, and smog stranger, and others I believe. The storms in your forecast are from the cold front.

Thanks for the chase help last night, guys. Definitely still considering it, but I'd like to see it shift west some. If it takes the forecast track now, only the Outer Banks would really get in on the wind action.

Alex 2004 is looking like a good analog, given its forecast track and increased organization today.

Archived