joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Warm season 2014 thunderstorm thread

famartin

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My power went out. Crazy stuff. It has been a bit windy for the past few hours, with some 2 second strong wind gusts. Every once in a while, I hear a very loud noise of leaves shaking about. Sort of felt like Hurricane Irene. Almost two inches of rain here.

Well, I mean the power went out and is back. Ugh, some lightning flashes and lights are flickering. ;-;

Perhaps a dumb question but does the NWS keep records at KMIV? This has got to be one of the wettest days on record there. 

From our AFD...

MILLVILLES 8.92 ON AUGUST 12, 2014 WAS THE SECOND HIGHEST DAILY

RAINFALL THERE ON RECORD DATING BACK TO 1947. THE RECORD OF 9.06

WAS SET AUGUST 20 1997.

9.06 AUGUST 20 1997

8.92 AUGUST 12 2014

7.21 AUGUST 3  1967

5.06 AUGUST 27 2011

Funny sight outside right now. The moon is out shining above me and yet off to my west I see darker clouds with CC bolts lighting up the sky.

Barely have a cloud in the sky here. Lightning is about 50 miles off. The moon is shining bright and there are meteors to boot. Though I'm standing in a field photographing this and the mosquitoes are killing me. Worth it.

not to get trolled by mentioning climate change...but I never recall non-tropical rains producing so much rainfall in years past. Just the overall intensity of heavy rainfall the last few years (nation-wide) has been pretty impressive and record breaking.

It was crazy man, I've never seen rains like we saw last night.

not to get trolled by mentioning climate change...but I never recall non-tropical rains producing so much rainfall  in years past.  Just the overall intensity of heavy rainfall the last few years (nation-wide) has been pretty impressive and record breaking.  

Yeah, I don't want to get into a climate change debate either, but I've noticed the same thing -- at least here along the EC. It seems that ever since Floyd these sorts of heavy rainfalls have become more common. Perhaps it has something to do with the AMO. Anyway...

Fortunately I missed out on the heavy rains overnight. Had a good downpour around 12:30. Looks like .5" for the entire event.

Yeah, I don't want to get into a climate change debate either, but I've noticed the same thing -- at least here along the EC. It seems that ever since Floyd these sorts of heavy rainfalls have become more common. Perhaps it has something to do with the AMO. Anyway...

Fortunately I missed out on the heavy rains overnight. Had a good downpour around 12:30. Looks like .5" for the entire event.

My generation barely remembers Floyd so we are quite normalized to long heavy rainfall events.

Archived