• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Warm season 2014 thunderstorm thread

famartin

Why does Lancaster always have that "bubbling and bust effect"? Topography?

Worcester, PA. Not much here. Some strong gusty winds for a period of time. Only a couple of hundreds inch of rain. .07 for the day (some around 3 PM).  Line looked impressive in Lancaster Cty and did the typical "fall apart" as it hits Montgomery Cty.

On to the next one.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The storm clouds moved in. It's a lot darker now, and the wind from earlier has stopped. I see the occasional yellow flash of light.

Edit:

Welp, as soon as I sent that message, we got insane winds. We got 2 very strong wind gusts so far, and a few smaller ones. It started to rain, and it just stopped. The second wind gust caused some branches to bang up against my wall.

Another chance tomorrow afternoon as this is a two front deal before cooler arrives

SPC holding back on the 'slight risks' since such an expansive area involved. ( i'm guessin )

MIDDLE ATLANTIC... MODEST SWLY CYCLONIC FLOW ALOFT IS EXPECTED TO EXTEND ACROSS THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC INTO PORTIONS OF NRN NC WEDNESDAY. THIS FLOW REGIME SHOULD ENCOURAGE LEE TROUGH TO ORIENT ITSELF FROM THE CNTRL CAROLINAS INTO SERN VA WHERE LOW-LEVEL CONVERGENCE SHOULD BE MAXIMIZED FOR POTENTIAL STRONG CONVECTION. WHILE STRONGER DEEP-LAYER SHEAR IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN FARTHER NORTH...SUFFICIENT MID-LEVEL FLOW SHOULD ALLOW MULTI-CELL UPDRAFTS TO EVOLVE...ESPECIALLY ACROSS VA. FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST GUSTY WINDS WILL BE THE GREATEST RISK WITH MORE ORGANIZED CONVECTION.

Have had no power since the storm blew through; about 1/4 town is in the dark. Winds cranked hard for about 5 minutes, estimate 50-60mph. Despite the sheer lameness of all severe storms here this year, this one, rather rainless marks only the third event in 10 years where I've lost power for more than a few minutes.

Have had no power since the storm blew through; about 1/4 town is in the dark. Winds cranked hard for about 5 minutes, estimate 50-60mph. Despite the sheer lameness of all severe storms here this year, this one, rather rainless marks only the third event in 10 years where I've lost power for more than a few minutes.

Same here, still. Last night it was going to be 12:10 am, then 6 pm today, now it says 6 pm tomorrow the 10th. I'm hoping it's sooner, obviously. I was hoping that after February this year I'd have time to save up for a whole house system before the next extended outage ....apparently not, lol.

According to family & friends a pretty intense storm in Levittown last evening, a number a large trees down particularly in Bristol Twp.

Locally certainly an interesting gusty storm however not the magnitude of the last Thurs storm., winds gusted to 48mph at TTN last night.

Already more significant storms locally this season than the past 5-6yrs. combined, nice change of pace, been a dead zone for storms around here for a number of yrs.

According to family & friends a pretty intense storm in Levittown last evening, a number a large trees down particularly in Bristol Twp.

Locally certainly an interesting gusty storm however not the magnitude of the last Thurs storm., winds gusted to 48mph at TTN last night.

Already more significant storms locally this season than the past 5-6yrs. combined, nice change of pace, been a dead zone for storms around here for a number of yrs.

^ Yeah I watched as the gust of wind came from my backyard which is pretty big, and that 60mph wind that came, seemed out of no where. A lot of people around thought it was a tornado and went into their basements.

my goodness, that outta be some huge hail in the Northhamton / Bath PA area.   62+ DBZ's. 

EDIT : -------------------------------------------

NWUS51 KPHI 092214LSRPHIPRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARYNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ614 PM EDT WED JUL 09 2014..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0553 PM     HAIL             MOORE TWP               40.78N  75.43W07/09/2014  M1.50 INCH       NORTHAMPTON        PA   SOCIAL MEDIA            1.5 INCH HAIL IN MOORE TOWNSHIP.

Same here, still. Last night it was going to be 12:10 am, then 6 pm today, now it says 6 pm tomorrow the 10th. I'm hoping it's sooner, obviously. I was hoping that after February this year I'd have time to save up for a whole house system before the next extended outage ....apparently not, lol.

Power came back on about 2am so it wasn't too bad. I have a little 4000 watt genny which is perfect to run a window air cond I keep in bedroom for these events. Hope your power came back today.

Power came back on about 2am so it wasn't too bad. I have a little 4000 watt genny which is perfect to run a window air cond I keep in bedroom for these events. Hope your power came back today.

Thanks - glad you got yours back as soon as you did. We got ours back this afternoon after the latest status update had said 6 pm tomorrow, so the under promise/over deliver was good. That's what I have, a 4000 watt, good for the refrigerator and a few other things, actually used it to also run the boiler, circulator and ahu fan last February, but today I tried running a cad station off it along with the fridge and the breaker kept tripping out, which surprised me. It's been pretty handy this year regardless...

I've noticed that too, and as many seasons seem to have a recurring theme or pattern, one of those for this spring/summer in my mind has been "the return of the strong thunderstorm".

I was caught outside when the line hit and had to hide behind where the mailboxes are for my apartment building. Since I had my cellphone on me I videotaped it but you hear me basically panicking because branches were flying past me. I went to take a walk to see the line approach and forgot it was moving at 60mph so it went from dark skies to the west to full on 60mph winds in seconds.

Thanks - glad you got yours back as soon as you did. We got ours back this afternoon after the latest status update had said 6 pm tomorrow, so the under promise/over deliver was good. That's what I have, a 4000 watt, good for the refrigerator and a few other things, actually used it to also run the boiler, circulator and ahu fan last February, but today I tried running a cad station off it along with the fridge and the breaker kept tripping out, which surprised me. It's been pretty handy this year regardless...

If your referring to an autocad station that is surprising. I have an all pro 4000 5500 peek genny. During Sandy I wired it into a 20amp breaker to the main and ran the whole house off it. Had to run washer and drier separately but it chugged along for 7 days straight.

my goodness, that outta be some huge hail in the Northhamton / Bath PA area. 62+ DBZ's.

EDIT : -------------------------------------------

NWUS51 KPHI 092214
LSRPHI

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARY
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
614 PM EDT WED JUL 09 2014

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0553 PM     HAIL             MOORE TWP               40.78N  75.43W
07/09/2014  M1.50 INCH       NORTHAMPTON        PA   SOCIAL MEDIA

1.5 INCH HAIL IN MOORE TOWNSHIP.
Wow, I didn't know that storm had hail. 15 minutes prior to that report, I was driving through the heart of the storm in Orefield - it was definitely a bad storm but I saw no hail.

Archived