joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25-26 storm potential

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, look how fast and progressive the pattern is and the neutral tilt on the trough. That has nowhere to go but the boot out to sea.

Yeah and I should have over 2' of snow by now if the other models were right 2-3 days away from each respective storm this month. Day 5-6 storms are a total crap shoot and far from the final solution. We should be happy they are not hits right now. 

I'm not a fan of the 'boxing day' comparisons. NAO was close to -1 (if my memory serves me correct). The issue with that system nearly going OTS was the location of the upstream ridge- it was much further east than ideal for a big EC storm.That system had plenty of downstream ridging (unlike this system) to move north. With the progressive nature of the pattern this year, I really want to see the ridge over the Pacific Northwest begin to amp up over the next few days, and I think it will.  We are going to want a really potent shortwave before this makes it to the EC, that way it will be able to pump up heights enough such that it will travel more meridionally and slow down for the interaction with the vorticity coming in behind it.  I'm still strongly favoring southern and eastern sections of the forum with this.

I'm not a fan of the 'boxing day' comparisons. NAO was close to -1 (if my memory serves me correct). The issue with that system nearly going OTS was the location of the upstream ridge- it was much further east than ideal for a big EC storm.That system had plenty of downstream ridging (unlike this system) to move north. With the progressive nature of the pattern this year, I really want to see the ridge over the Pacific Northwest begin to amp up over the next few days, and I think it will.  We are going to want a really potent shortwave before this makes it to the EC, that way it will be able to pump up heights enough such that it will travel more meridionally and slow down for the interaction with the vorticity coming in behind it.  I'm still strongly favoring southern and eastern sections of the forum with this.

Are comparisons to March 01' completely unfounded?

BTW thanks for contributing to this forum. We really need more red taggers like you.

this from WPC

...SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

THE FCST REMAINS FAIRLY CONSISTENT FOR AN UNUSUALLY WINTRY PATTERN
OVER THE CNTRL-ERN STATES DURING MOST OF THE PERIOD WITH A BROAD
AREA OF TEMPERATURE ANOMALIES REACHING 10-25F BELOW NORMAL BEFORE
MODERATING BY DAY 7 THU. AT SOME LOCATIONS EXPECTED TEMPS WOULD
BE CLOSER TO MID-JANUARY NORMALS... AND COMPOSITE ANALOGS CONTINUE
TO SHOW FAVORABLE COMPARISONS TO OTHER MID MARCH TO EARLY APRIL
COLD EVENTS OVER RECENT DECADES. THIS COLD AIR WILL SUPPORT A
PERIOD OF WINTRY PCPN POTENTIAL FROM THE NRN/N-CNTRL PLAINS INTO
THE MID ATLC/NORTHEAST. AREAS FROM THE CNTRL APLCHNS/MID ATLC
INTO NEW ENGLAND SHOULD MONITOR EXPECTED WRN ATLC DEVELOPMENT
TUE-WED FOR SNOW/STRONG WIND POTENTIAL. SMALL CHANGES IN TRACK
WILL MAKE BIG DIFFS IN SENSIBLE WEATHER IMPACTS AND ORIGIN OF
SUPPORTING ENERGY ALOFT SUGGESTS IT MAY TAKE AT LEAST ANOTHER 2-3
DAYS TO GAIN MORE CONFIDENCE IN DETAILS OF SYSTEM EVOLUTION.
BEFORE THIS SYSTEM DEVELOPS...

In reading through other blogs, it appears that an SSW event took place over the past ten days. Just trying to gage what influence this may have on the upcoming storm. My basic understanding is that an SSW event as model, may spilt the Polar Vortex. Would this not lead to more of a suppression of any STJ low? Leading ultimately to a cold, dry outlook?

Archived