• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Now that this season is dying a slow death....

40/70 Benchmark

I know many love 1994, but the issue with that season in my mind is twofold:

1) The mid atlantic and s coast of ne has done much better than they did in that season, which featured a rather steep gradient between Boston and Providence.

2) This season, though very similar with regard to seasonal total IMBY, was less prolific throughout much of sne n of the CT/RI borders.

I am going to nominate 1986-87, which featured very respectable snowfall totals from the mid atl. into NE....on par with the season imo.

Any other nominees?

'94 verbatim for snowfall may not be the best, but there were similarities.  I think this time around we didn't see so much warm air intrusion aloft like that year did. Many areas from the s coast to DC had some bad icing events in 1994. This time around featured more in the way of snowfall there and it's still going on.

I know many love 1994, but the issue with that season in my mind is twofold:

1) The mid atlantic and s coast of ne has done much better than they did in that season, which featured a rather steep gradient between Boston and Providence.

2) This season, though very similar with regard to seasonal total IMBY, was less prolific throughout much of sne n of the CT/RI borders.

I am going to nominate 1986-87, which featured very respectable snowfall totals from the mid atl. into NE....on par with the season imo.

Any other nominees?

I don't know about nominees...but definitely more than respectible for NYC-DC corridor. Especially after Monday.

'94 verbatim for snowfall may not be the best, but there were similarities.  I think this time around we didn't see so much warm air intrusion aloft like that year did. Many areas from the s coast to DC had some bad icing events in 1994. This time around featured more in the way of snowfall there and it's still going on.

Absolutely.

Same general regime (-EPO/+NAO couplet), but with less mid level warm air intrusion.

Agreed.

This is why I was not surprised that you were one of the jack pot areas of sne.....I knew going in this would be a circle-jerk season, like 1994.

I think another difference was that we were less fortunate this year with regard to the exact tracks of systems...mainly over the course of the final month.

Just some bad luck, which is why this season has been less prolific, for the most part, across the area.

all i can continue to say is thank goodness for two weeks in feb.....and im glad someone else pointed out for much of sne n of the ct ri border it was good but certainly not epic

I don't think there is anyone still claiming that this was an epic season in sne....part of the region were on pace for such a lofty distinction about a month ago, but no more.

Then again, you never know.....we could always strike oil with one bowling ball.

'Tis the season.

Snow to date:

DCA: 23.1 (150% if normal to date)

BWI: 30.7 (165% of normal to date)

PHL: 66.9 (220% of normal to date)

NYC: 57.4 (250% of normal???why is NYC lower climo vs Philly?)

PVD: 43.3 (140% of normal)

BOS: 58.6 (160% of normal)

We slip a 8-10 in all those locales before its over and it brings it up in category

Hmm thought DC was getting snow tomorrow night?

No Steve winter is over. Forget about the day 4 potential setup, for which one of the main players is a piece of vorticity that is currently half over east Siberia and half about 1000 miles due north of Hawaii.

It's over 'cause the Euro says it is.

We slip a 8-10 in all those locales before its over and it brings it up in category

I don't keep exact measurements but I am in the 70's for snowfall.  My average is probably around 85" so I am not doing nearly as well as most, but we know that.  Just north of me caught up quite a bit this past week.

Snow to date:

DCA: 23.1 (150% if normal to date)

BWI: 30.7 (165% of normal to date)

PHL: 66.9 (220% of normal to date)

NYC: 57.4 (250% of normal???why is NYC lower climo vs Philly?)

PVD: 43.3 (140% of normal)

BOS: 58.6 (160% of normal)

Wow.

That must be one of the largest disparities in history between DC and Philly.

I don't keep exact measurements but I am in the 70's for snowfall. My average is probably around 85" so I am not doing nearly as well as most, but we know that. Just north of me caught up quite a bit this past week.

BTV is now above normal but the mountain communities around here are below normal like you. J.Spin said he is now only 19" below normal after the last storm, and I'm probably in that ballpark too. The ski resort needs 96" prior to April 20th to get above average. Probably not happening.

Up here though, the issue is the lack of upslope. A few upslope events and we are normal to above. Those are built into our climo and have been pretty much non-existent this season.

Archived