• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Saint Patrick's Day Snow Event

stormtracker

Thanks for the input. Yeah I'm usually bearish on snow in mid-March...almost anything can go wrong.

That said, I felt the same way before 3/27/13, and ended up with 2.5" covering all surfaces including a busy street. This airmass is similar to that one..so I don't know what to think yet. I think if we can get this to fall at night we have a good shot at grass/deck accums.

it was very good timing on 3/25..I got 2.25" and street stickage at sea level and 33 degrees...timing here is not as good..but still not bad...it doesnt get dark until almost 8 which kind of sucks

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12z runs made some subtle long wave changes that affected the way our s/w manifests. Initially, you'll look at the models and say "more energy is hanging back/split off" and really that would be a fine analysis. The issue here is that the subtle changes in the western ridge affects the jet across the northern-tier. Between this process and the slower exit of the PV (which by itself wouldn't be a big deal...but it is a killer in combination with broadening western ridge), the flow speeds up, reducing partial phasing of s/w.

Here's the good news before you start to compare how amazingly annoying that it was the 12z runs 2Fridays ago that also started to shift the storm: that 3/3 system was being punished by a much more wicked PV and lobe dropping down from Ontario. In fact, it pushed in considerable dry and cold air advection throughout the precipitation shield, reducing accumulating snow to just the convergence zones post-initial thump WAA. In this case, despite the 12z shifts, we are still seeing frontogenetic forcing within general WAA across MA. This means, old rules apply about "edge of QPF shield" since that is conveniently placed along the 850mb deformation zone.

The 12z runs made some subtle long wave changes that affected the way our s/w manifests. Initially, you'll look at the models and say "more energy is hanging back/split off" and really that would be a fine analysis. The issue here is that the subtle changes in the western ridge affects the jet across the northern-tier. Between this process and the slower exit of the PV (which by itself wouldn't be a big deal...but it is a killer in combination with broadening western ridge), the flow speeds up, reducing partial phasing of s/w.

Here's the good news before you start to compare how amazingly annoying that it was the 12z runs 2Fridays ago that also started to shift the storm: that 3/3 system was being punished by a much more wicked PV and lobe dropping down from Ontario. In fact, it pushed in considerable dry and cold air advection throughout the precipitation shield, reducing accumulating snow to just the convergence zones post-initial thump WAA. In this case, despite the 12z shifts, we are still seeing frontogenetic forcing within general WAA across MA. This means, old rules apply about "edge of QPF shield" since that is conveniently placed along the 850mb deformation zone.

Thanks,, HM

Euro makes the same shift, putting the deformation zone over you guys. If things hold and we don't keep trending in the wrong way, this could be another nice event for the Mid Atlantic. Amazing, really...

Euro makes the same shift, putting the deformation zone over you guys. If things hold and we don't keep trending in the wrong way, this could be another nice event for the Mid Atlantic. Amazing, really...

yes...Frankly speaking the Euro is the best run for DC metro of any of the models by a mile

Not to be IMBY but how is it for Baltimore? Is it CMC like in cutoff between just south of DC and Baltimore?

It is way better than 0z for me and you which basically threw cold moisture over a warm dome

I personally love the run verbatim. The nice 1"+ stripe is well within range to move north or simply expand larger. Could be some good bands and rates setting up for a lot of us imo. Things are looking better today. I like the later start of the good stuff as much as anybody. 

yes...Frankly speaking the Euro is the best run for DC metro of any of the models by a mile

Yeah this is a good way to get accumulating snow into DC. You get a nice shot along the deform, then it's dark...but let's hope today's 12z runs were not a developing "trend" but just a total "ingest" to make them all see the correct evolution of s/w. Calling today a "trend" is actually incorrect, really, if you think about the last few days.

Verbatim the euro looks a bit dry and south but I totally see what hm just explained. It's a good run and a small shift come game time is a pretty good hit at optimum timing.

The "front-end" with the deformation / 850 convergence is the main show later Sunday. Good timing to get heavier stuff first and then lighter stuff after, too.

It is way better than 0z for me and you which basically threw cold moisture over a warm dome

I personally love the run verbatim. The nice 1"+ stripe is well within range to move north or simply expand larger. Could be some good bands and rates setting up for a lot of us imo. Things are looking better today. I like the later start of the good stuff as much as anybody. 

yeah hard to say where that best axis will finally end up -- but it's about as good of a compromise between QPF and cold as we can hope for

I think we'd all more or less give up the "heaviest" precip (but still good amounts) but be situated in the good deformation area.  Nice to see that the bulk of the precip is also holding off until it's colder.

For those that are able to see the Euro, anything interesting concerning the ULL on Monday?  I know we were focusing more on hoping we'll get the WAA stuff Sunday night and take the "bowling ball" as a bonus.

.40 - .50 falls between 2am-8am for almost all of us from balt southward.

Beautiful Bob, thanks. You guys have taken over for Philly as the "spot" to end the winter. El Nino must be approaching! ;)

I think we'd all more or less give up the "heaviest" precip (but still good amounts) but be situated in the good deformation area.  Nice to see that the bulk of the precip is also holding off until it's colder.

For those that are able to see the Euro, anything interesting concerning the ULL on Monday?  I know we were focusing more on hoping we'll get the WAA stuff Sunday night and take the "bowling ball" as a bonus.

we get about 0.25" between 8am and 4pm.....verbatim the euro is ludicrously cold...25 degrees for DC in the middle of the afternoon....we'll have to see about that,.,.lol

It's around 6z, too, that the 850mb convergence zone passes south through the area with wind minimum at 700mb too. Also, there's a brief but double jet structure for divergence! Not bad...and it's overnight with a good high to the north.

So...okay then. lol

Edit...scratch that about the divergence. That happens much earlier.

we get about 0.25" between 8am and 4pm.....verbatim the euro is ludicrously cold...25 degrees for DC in the middle of the afternoon....we'll have to see about that,.,.lol

Even if those temps verify, which I don't think will happen, no way that would accumulate in the urban or suburban areas.  

Thanks.  That actually sounds pretty good for the daytime Monday amount.  Won't be huge, but keep things "pretty" after whatever falls overnight.  I don't buy 25 degrees during the day on St. Paddy's (guessing you can't buy it either), though it would be pretty neat!  Maybe closer to low 30s DC proper and closer in 'burbs, if we keep thick cloud cover.  DCA did manage a cold 39 for the high on 3-25 last year, and that after the snow was done falling (I recall it getting kind of "bright" in the afternoon too).

Archived