• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/18 Storm Obs...Can PHL move into #3 all time?

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It continues to amaze me the way the strip from near Philly northeast to Monmouth continues to get jack-potted again and again.  Meanwhile northwestern areas which were thought to be favored in this latest storm have been ripped off.  Again.

If I ever get back to NJ, I will use my super weather powers to repel all snow from the PHL-Monmouth corridor, sending it anywhere else.  :lol:

Ray,

How do you read the CC radar out of DuPage? Yellow vs reds? Regular radar shows all snow in NJ but it seems in a lot of your posts you indicate the rain/snow line is where the yellows meet the reds.

Correct.  Generally the snow versus mix line is along the southern edge where the pure red meets the mixed yellows/oranges/reds.  It helps to know where it is snow first ;)  Below the mixed yellows/oranges/reds, where it turns pure red again, that often means that area is rain or freezing rain.  The CC is basically picking up the mixed dimensions of the hydro-meteors, indicating mixed precip.

Edit: It also helps to keep in mind the elevation of the beam at the level you are seeing.  It goes up from radar dome level at the center to 15,000 feet near the edge.

Was at PARX all day yesterday until 1 am, so I missed all the tracking fun. Got 2" of new snow here in Metuchen and judging by the radar, the snow is about done. 29F right now, so definitely colder than expected - roads are all snow-covered and slippery. 2" brings me to 60" on the season - nice!

Archived