Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday 2/18 Winter Storm thump thread.

Heisy

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting comments from Drag on the long term :

FRIDAY...SHOWERS AND POSSIBLE TSTMS AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT WITHPOTENTIAL WIND ADVISORY CRITERIA 45 MPH GUSTS AND IF THUNDER...POTENTIAL FOR SVR IN NJ/DE WITH 60 TO 70 KT OF WIND FROM 850-700MB. CLEARING LATE. MLCAPE RIGHT NOW IS MODELED UNDER 300J...MAINLY DELAWARE.A QUESTION THIS DAY WILL BE WHAT TIME THE COLD FRONT WILL ARRIVE.AT THIS TIME...EXPECT THE FRONT TO SWEEP THROUGH THE REGIONFRIDAY AFTERNOON. WHAT THIS TIMING WILL MEAN FOR THE REGIONSWEATHER IS THAT THERE WILL LIKELY BE A LARGE MAX TEMPERATUREGRADIENT ACROSS THE REGION...WITH HIGHS POSSIBLY ONLY IN THE 40SLEHIGH VALLEY NORTHWARD THROUGH NW NJ AND THE POCONOS TO THE 60SIN SOUTHERN DE.

Latest meso guidance isn't looking good, the 12z NAM had that secondary moisture over us, however the RAP/HRRR are developing that SE of I-95....Still, based on where the 500mb low is I think there is a chance it forms more NW...We'll see. 

I recall at this range they were forecasting 10"+ at PHL for round 2 of the Thursday storm and were at one point or another throwing those totals to the SE as well...

Seems this always happens with these storms........The models a couple of days ago had the right idea with the precip dying over the mountains, not sure how I got sucked into the idea of a 2-4 inch storm.

That wasn't the reason the models have gone with less moisture. The 12z NAM had the developing coastal much farther NW, it showed Philly getting very heavy snow during the dawn hours. It backed off at 18z. 

It is wrong. Look at the radar, that heavy band is setting up nicely. The NWS snowfall map looks great too me.

Radar is overdoing that band.  Lots of virga on the front.  It will diminish as it approaches KDIX simply because the radar beam from there is getting lower and lower.

Archived