CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tuesday over running event

Mitchel Volk

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone that thought warning criteria snow was possible ever with this storm was setting themselves up for a let down.

That is so easy to say when model guidance has dramatically shifted to support such a comment. Do you want a pat on the back?

It seems like Mount Holly is committed to going down with the ship, although I would love to see them nail it down again:

"THE MAIN LOW TO OUR WEST WILL MOVE THROUGH THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES

OVERNIGHT, LIFTING AN OCCLUDING FRONTAL BOUNDARY TOWARD OUR AREA.

AHEAD OF THE BOUNDARY, WE EXPECT PRECIPITATION TO OVERSPREAD THE

AREA AFTER MIDNIGHT, AND CLOSER TO DAYBREAK ON TUESDAY. MOST AREAS

WILL BEGIN OUT AS SNOW. THE EXCEPTION COULD BE FAR SOUTHERN

DELAWARE AS WELL AS EXTREME SOUTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY WHERE SOME

RAIN COULD MIX.

IT APPEARS THE MAXIMUM LIFT ASSOCIATED WITH THE SYSTEM COMBINED

WITH EFFICIENT SNOW GROWTH WILL LEAD TO A 2 TO 3 HOUR PERIOD OF

MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL RIGHT AROUND THE MORNING RUSH.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN PLACE ACROSS MUCH OF THE

AREA."

That is so easy to say when model guidance has dramatically shifted to support such a comment. Do you want a pat on the back?

The problem is that no serious guidance really suggested warning criteria snows. A few of the short-range/hi-res models started printing out some high QPF's (not unsurprisingly) and it sort of snowballed into a case of "Well, if the NAM is trending wetter and more dynamic, there's no reason it can't continue to trend more dynamic!", inflating expectations a bit. Mt. Holly, NYC, and Albany are all sticking to their guns so it'll be interesting to see if their collective skill comes out on top over guidance and enthusiast analysis.

A cookie would be preferable as I have an aversion to being touched by strangers. So thanks but no thanks.

With that said, if you have been reading ,my forecast all along has been 1-3 with more n and w. Models or not.

Mount Holly must of just look at the new RAP model. It does have a slight shift to the west the past couple of runs. Look at the 700mb VV's.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=008ℑ=data%2Frap%2F02%2Frap_namer_008_700_rh_ht.gif&model=rap&area=namer&param=700_rh_ht&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M

Looks good for a couple hours of pretty heavy snow.

Unfortunately with the low getting going just a hair late,

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=011ℑ=data%2Frap%2F02%2Frap_namer_011_700_rh_ht.gif&model=rap&area=namer&param=700_rh_ht&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M

You are left with a little gap (similar to what happened the other day when the dynamics jumped from CPA to ENJ/LI quite quickly.

The GFS trended wetter from 00z last night, to 6z, to 12z today. It wasn't just NAM and friends.

The problem is that no serious guidance really suggested warning criteria snows. A few of the short-range/hi-res models started printing out some high QPF's (not unsurprisingly) and it sort of snowballed into a case of "Well, if the NAM is trending wetter and more dynamic, there's no reason it can't continue to trend more dynamic!", inflating expectations a bit. Mt. Holly, NYC, and Albany are all sticking to their guns so it'll be interesting to see if their collective skill comes out on top over guidance and enthusiast analysis.

The GFS trended wetter from 00z last night, to 6z, to 12z today. It wasn't just NAM and friends.

But this is sort of the catch 22 with public access to models. All of a sudden some start upping amounts for a few runs and everyone gets the expectations up. But with a 2-4 hour event its going to be hard to pull off more then 3" for most locations.

It seems like Mount Holly is committed to going down with the ship, although I would love to see them nail it down again:

"THE MAIN LOW TO OUR WEST WILL MOVE THROUGH THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES

OVERNIGHT, LIFTING AN OCCLUDING FRONTAL BOUNDARY TOWARD OUR AREA.

AHEAD OF THE BOUNDARY, WE EXPECT PRECIPITATION TO OVERSPREAD THE

AREA AFTER MIDNIGHT, AND CLOSER TO DAYBREAK ON TUESDAY. MOST AREAS

WILL BEGIN OUT AS SNOW. THE EXCEPTION COULD BE FAR SOUTHERN

DELAWARE AS WELL AS EXTREME SOUTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY WHERE SOME

RAIN COULD MIX.

IT APPEARS THE MAXIMUM LIFT ASSOCIATED WITH THE SYSTEM COMBINED

WITH EFFICIENT SNOW GROWTH WILL LEAD TO A 2 TO 3 HOUR PERIOD OF

MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL RIGHT AROUND THE MORNING RUSH.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN PLACE ACROSS MUCH OF THE

AREA."

So one of the smarter guys that care to contribute on this board makes a case for a weaker system throughout the day and the models have trended his way .And you`re response is to be obnoxious . I really hope guys like Mitch Jets John Chris Snowgoose aren't dissuaded by dumb stuff like this . Its one off stuff , not the norm .

So one of the smarter guys that care to contribute on this board makes a case for a weaker system throughout the day and the models have trended his way .And you`re response is to be obnoxious . I really hope guys like Mitch Jets John Chris Snowgoose aren't dissuaded by dumb stuff like this . Its one off stuff , not the norm .

Thanks man, I hope you as well are not dissuaded, you are clearly one of the valued posters on this board.

I take it all in stride though, people are obviously welcome to disagree with me though I would prefer it be in a more constructive manner lol.

+1

Thanks man, I hope you as well are not dissuaded, you are clearly one of the valued posters on this board.

I take it all in stride though, people are obviously welcome to disagree with me though I would prefer it be in a more constructive manner lol.

UW , Some good returns just passed through the PITT down thru the Morgantown area and hopefully they hold . Looks like the surface around is cold.

ie Colts Neck down to 17 , if we can that  burst for 2 hours or so , we may be able to put down a quick 2 or 3 .

Maybe MT HOLLY maybe looking at it in a similar fashion .

UW , Some good returns just passed through the PITT down thru the Morgantown area and hopefully they hold . Looks like the surface around is cold.

ie Colts Neck down to 17 , if we can that burst for 2 hours or so , we may be able to put down a quick 2 or 3 .

Maybe MT HOLLY maybe looking at it in a similar fashion .

I feel as long as there is an area of decent lift that passes over us rather than completely jumping us than we should be able to muster that up judging by the rates experienced further west like you said. The trend to develop the secondary slightly later scares me however in that regard.

This. Back to lurking.

And I found the comment critical of others' thoughts on the situation, made 10-12 hours later after things had played out differently than modeled at the time to have a faint whiff of hubris. If you think my benign comment was "obnoxious" and "dumb," take a cue from the snow pack and get thicker.

And I found the comment critical of others' thoughts on the situation, made 10-12 hours later after things had played out differently than modeled at the time to have a faint whiff of hubris. If you think my benign comment was "obnoxious" and "dumb," take a cue from the snow pack and get thicker.

Guy my comment was just as benign and I wasn't calling out anyone here...

Did I say anyone specific was calling for warning snows? Nope... It was a mere comment that there would be let down if anyone was expecting extreme amounts to verify.

I enjoy reading this immensely, but please don't make it seem like I'm reading a clan forum on a multiplayer game :)

You guys are the best of the best, hands down. I don't even bother with mainstream weather reports anymore since they don't seem to have as much finesse and understanding for the weather. Thank you for the valued information for the past few years! (Sorry this isn't on the banter, mods, feel free to delete it if you want)

Archived