• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western PA Weather II

tsteel, are you anywhere near the Villa up there in Cabot? Its been a favorite restaurant of almost everyone in my Family since I can remember.

My Aunt and Uncle were there up there once a couple of years ago and Troy Polamalu and his wife were there. Nobody bothered him during his meal so he paid everyone's tab. Pretty cool story.

Anyways, its been a good winter. Close to if not surpassed 60+ inches of snow and record cold and we're likely to add at least a little more to that.  I'd welcome a -EPO next winter too especially if it could invite it's cousin -NAO, and we throw in weak to moderate Nino. I wonder what could have been had this winter had some better blocking in the Atlantic, maybe we break 80 and set an all time snow record.

It is about 20 mins east from me, but I've been there before and it usually is really good from what I remember. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a really bad winter for the Pittsburgh area. All big storms has either gone north or south of the area. We pretty much got the freeze. Well maybe next year. I'm at the point where I'm now looking forward to tornado and thunderstorm season. Bring on the heat.

This has been a really bad winter for the Pittsburgh area. All big storms has either gone north or south of the area. We pretty much got the freeze. Well maybe next year. I'm at the point where I'm now looking forward to tornado and thunderstorm season. Bring on the heat.

Yeah, our overall snow totals for the winter are great, but from a storm perspective it's been disappointing. This one being the king of the disappointments. I can do without the frigid temps. Give me just one big storm and the rest of the winter can be in the 40s and 50s for all I care. That's just me though.

Tough to see all that precip to our southwest and know that most of it is going to miss us. It'll be tough to take another storm seriously two or more days out after this one. I'll still keep an eye on models because it's what we do. I'll just remember back to this one when the next monster shows up on some models and realize that a lot can happen in a short period, even within just a day or two of the event, after days of consistency.

Tough to see all that precip to our southwest and know that most of it is going to miss us. It'll be tough to take another storm seriously two or more days out after this one. I'll still keep an eye on models because it's what we do. I'll just remember back to this one when the next monster shows up on some models and realize that a lot can happen in a short period, even within just a day or two of the event, after days of consistency.

Same, I'll be back to checking the models once per day. I usually check 18z 00z and 12z all at once after 12z comes up and just look for trends. If a storm pops up I get sucked back in. Speaking of that, I did check the 18z GFS and it looks below normal with several storm chances.

I can add one to that. There was a potential major snowstorm back in early April of 1987. I can remember all of the local mets had a lot of us getting at least a foot the very night it was getting ready to start up. Joe Denardo had me in the 9-18 inch area on his map. I can remember the big flakes coming down that night and how excited I was as a kid. The next morning I woke up expecting to see a blizzard outside. What did I see when I looked out the window? Rain. It changed to rain over night. Complete bust. That was when I learned how cruel this area can be to anyone that loves snow. Yeah, it was early April, but I was just a kid and the mets seemed so confident about it. Big letdown.

That April 87 storm just got too wound up, as i believe a major negatively tilted trough rectrograded the surface low in to east central Pa. Officially it was still 9" - but too much warm air wrapped in east to west. The funny thing was places south of the city saw less of that warm air too the north. So where I was in Fayette county went back to snow and we got over a foot eventually. So pretty good storm for me, and historic for April

That April 87 storm just got too wound up, as i believe a major negatively tilted trough rectrograded the surface low in to east central Pa. Officially it was still 9" - but too much warm air wrapped in east to west. The funny thing was places south of the city saw less of that warm air too the north. So where I was in Fayette county went back to snow and we got over a foot eventually. So pretty good storm for me, and historic for April

Was it the airport that ended up with 9" from that storm?  I know I didn't come close to that where I lived. I remember waking up that morning to rain and almost no snow on the ground after a call for huge amounts. I lived southeast of Pittsburgh in Wesrmoreland County at the time. Not the mountains but southwestern Westmoreland County. I guess I was just in a really bad area that saw a ton of that warm air turn it over to rain sooner. Basically, that was a huge bust for me anyway based on the forecasts. I guess it depends on where you lived with that one. 

Did the cold air get here too fast or was it just stronger than they thought it would be? Or both? I know early on last week they had our highs in the mid 30s yesterday and it ended up only in the low 20s by the afternoon. High occurred overnight.

Nice article in the Trib today about the Winter cold and snow.

With 60 inches of snow this winter our largest storm was 5.2 inches.  :axe:

23 days of at least a trace of snow in January and 20 days inf February. 73 days since October.

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/5681202-74/snow-inches-car#axzz2uxLVQPEp

Archived