• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
2014 Global Temperatures

StudentOfClimatology

Okay. Problem is the data outage has compromised most of the operation sites like OSPO..that's why I mentioned it. That doesn't excuse the crap that was thrown at me..like, who would invent an imaginary dataset? It's just crazy.

You throw of plenty of jabs except you're just more subtle about it.  I don't think you need to worry about "excusing" anything.  A PhD student should have thicker skin, IMO.

In any event, attaching any percentage to the chance of records being set on any of the datasets is meaningless.  You're both making qualitative statements but trying to use quantitative descriptions.  What is apparent, however, is that for many of these datasets to avoid breaking records we will have to have a much cooler final two months of the calender year.  That does seem fairly unlikely given the current conditions.  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you think I'm lying about the data? Really? Scientific integrity is, and has always been my core principle.

It's funny, I've always been called an alarmist by my peers, but I almost feel a denier when I post here. Maybe I'm just treating this board like an academic circle when I should be treating it more like Twitter, but I'm a bit dumbfounded, to be honest.

I'm not sure what to think.  But the data that you mentioned should be posted to back up your point.  Many of us can't afford and/or do not care to have access to the datasets that you spoke of.  If we are skeptical, you should take it as an oppurtunity to set the record straight.  Data and statistics speak louder than words.

It's not about scientific integrity.  It's about sharing the knowledge you have with us in a way that can be verified.  The scientific community demands just that, as you said, we are not JBs twitter feed, why should we be any different?

We are never going to see this "windsat" sea surface temperature anomaly data set and it's climo.

We never saw the proof of orbital drift and decay with the OISST anomalies that SOC said NOAA personally told him about.

Those are facts.  Folks can play nice and dance around it if scientific integrity holds little value to them.  But it matters to me.

CFS is now at 0.173C+ on the dailies for the month of October.  This is a 0.72C+ GISS equivalent.  it looks like CFS will finish October around 0.180-0190C+ which is a 0.73-0.74C+ on Giss.

AMSU channel 6 temps are now the second warmest on record at this time.

The models are currently showing an all out blow torch as we start November with CFS likely running near 0.40C at the start of the month.

So as well head into NOVEMBER no cooling whatsoever to speak of.

c2f8f980-284e-4962-9478-4cb632563fb8_zps

b2346633-75fe-4c54-8f09-e1591c5963b3_zps

4b31d6f4-b37a-421e-a711-ea82eab0bab7_zps

Hadley also a September record but down a little from August.

2014 0.508 0.305 0.548 0.658 0.596 0.619 0.542 0.667 0.595

The drop in HADCRUT4 global temperatures was almost solely confined to the ocean basins, as SST anomalies dropped. Not surprising at all.

The global SST anomaly began dropping more rapidly at the end of September, so I suspect that October will come in colder than September did.

The drop in HADCRUT4 global temperatures was almost solely confined to the ocean basins, as SST anomalies dropped. Not surprising at all.

The global SST anomaly began dropping more rapidly at the end of September, so I suspect that October will come in colder than September did.

Not much difference between September and October across various series with HADCRUT4 and NOAA cooler and GISS, UAH and RSS warmer. So far CFS for October is between Sept and Aug.so I don't expect big changes in October. 

Hadley is essentially clinched for the yearly record now.

2010 had a very warm November.  But a .493 October and .339 December.

CFS is at 0.183C+ for the month.  Which is between a 0.73C and 0.74C on GISS.

It's very very likely GISS has it's third .70C+ month in a row.

The models show October finishing on huge torching with CFS going up around 0.40C+.  So November is going to start on a major torch.

Not much difference between September and October across various series with HADCRUT4 and NOAA cooler and GISS, UAH and RSS warmer. So far CFS for October is between Sept and Aug.so I don't expect big changes in October.

The CFS correlation is not static though, as is made obvious by the cooling from August to September. This is because the surface datasets analyze SSTs differently than the CFS-R.

The majority of the SST drop has occurred over the last three weeks, so I suspect that will be reflected in the surface datasets in the future.

The CFS correlation is not static though, as is made obvious by the cooling from August to September. This is because the surface datasets analyze SSTs differently than the CFS-R.

The majority of the SST drop has occurred over the last three weeks, so I suspect that will be reflected in the surface datasets in the future.

Anomalies are not going to drop much on the surface datasets as long as a weak El Nino continues to develop.  November is likely to be close to the same warmth as September/October if recent history has anything to say. November has warmed faster than any month the last 20 years.  I also believe the SST drop is likely over as the equatorial areas take over.  Are the SSTas back online?  

Anomalies are not going to drop much on the surface datasets as long as a weak El Nino continues to develop.

Looks like an August peak to me on HADCRUT4. ;)

You'd need a pretty significant ENSO warming (over 0.3C) for any statistically significant warming at the surface, though technically it's the atmospheric circulation itself that's responsible for both the SSTs and global temperature rise in El Niño, not the Nino SSTs themselves. So, if the tropical forcings remain heavily Niño-biased, that could change things.

The two are relative, though. Global SSTs will probably drop off further, with the W-PAC/IO now included as the subsidence there evaporates. The ENSOS domain should warm, however.

November is likely to be close to the same warmth as September/October if recent history has anything to say. November has warmed faster than any month the last 20 years. I also believe the SST drop is likely over as the equatorial areas take over. Are the SSTas back online?

They're online, and the drop has continued..the N-PAC is almost neutral now, which is pretty astounding.

navy-anom-bb.gif

It has nothing to do with some made up CFS lag. That is absurd. 

GISS and UAH both went up from August to September.

RSS was slightly up because of less influence from the poles.

NCDC and Hadley were cooler in September and warmer in August because of the poles.

We have discussed this already many times here.  It has nothing to do with some "shift in the ssts".

GISS in August was cooler versus it'self than Hadley and NCDC because of the poles.

GISSAugust_zps1e89b689.gif

GISS in September was warmer because of the poles.

GISSSeptember_zpsf9525f03.gif

DRUMROLL please.......

October with it's cooler poles.

z7YnphI.png?1

September with it's torching poles.

jrFKLSy.png?1

August with it's not torching poles......

bTY1fxO.png?1

I guarantee that NCDC and Hadley both have bigger anomalies in October than they did in September.

Looks like an August peak to me. ;)

You'd need a significant ENSO warming (over 0.3C) for any statistically significant warming at the surface, though technically it's the atmospheric circulation itself that's responsible for both the SSTs and global temperature, not the Nino SSTs themselves..so if the tropical forcings remain heavily Niño-biased, that could change things.

The two are relative, though. Global SSTs will probably drop off further, with the W-PAC/IO now included as the subsidence there evaporates.

They're online, and the drop has continued..the N-PAC is almost neutral now, which is pretty astounding.

I assume you are being facetious here.  August is looking to be cooler than both September and October.  The NPAC turned neutral around this time last year too.  It actually warmed a bit (anomaly wise) towards winter.  Do you have any graphs for SSTas?

Looks like an August peak to me on HADCRUT4. ;)

You'd need a pretty significant ENSO warming (over 0.3C) for any statistically significant warming at the surface, though technically it's the atmospheric circulation itself that's responsible for both the SSTs and global temperature rise in El Niño, not the Nino SSTs themselves. So, if the tropical forcings remain heavily Niño-biased, that could change things.

The two are relative, though. Global SSTs will probably drop off further, with the W-PAC/IO now included as the subsidence there evaporates. The ENSOS domain should warm, however.

Where is your windsat fdata?

It has nothing to do with some made up CFS lag. That is absurd.

GISS and UAH both went up from August to September.

RSS was slightly up because of less influence from the poles.

NCDC and Hadley were cooler in September and warmer in August because of the poles.

We have discussed this already many times here. It has nothing to do with some "shift in the ssts".

GISS in August was cooler versus it'self than Hadley and NCDC because of the poles.

GISSAugust_zps1e89b689.gif

GISS in September was warmer because of the poles.

GISSSeptember_zpsf9525f03.gif

DRUMROLL please.......

October with it's cooler poles.

z7YnphI.png?1

September with it's torching poles.

jrFKLSy.png?1

August with it's not torching poles......

bTY1fxO.png?1

I guarantee that NCDC and Hadley both have bigger anomalies in October than they did in September.

The satellite data warmed in September as the sensible and latent heat flux into the atmosphere increased over the NH. A lot of that was kinematically mixed out of the N-PAC. It's pretty obvious in the spectral data.

The drop in the surface temperatures was confined to the ocean basins..the poles are/were largely irrelavent to that.

Where is your windsat fdata?

Don't even think about it. I'm going to skewer you bloody.

If you were to read the peer reviewed literature for once in your life, you'd find the data is used widely. You can PM me if your deranged mind cannot see the obvious, but you're not going to derail this thread again.

The satellite data warmed in September as the sensible and latent heat flux into the atmosphere increased over the NH. A lot of that was kinematically mixed out of the N-PAC. It's pretty obvious in the spectral data.

The drop in the surface temperatures was confined to the ocean basins..the poles are/were largely irrelavent to that.

Just in case this got buried. You can look at either AIRS or CERES and note the changes in the open portion of the AW.

I assume you are being facetious here. August is looking to be cooler than both September and October. The NPAC turned neutral around this time last year too. It actually warmed a bit (anomaly wise) towards winter. Do you have any graphs for SSTas?

August was warmer than September on HADCRUT4, due to HADCRUT's superior SSTA interpolation method. Just calling it as it is. The satellite data did clearly warm, and will probably continue to do so in the long run.

Last year around this time we saw strong ridging begin to develop over the N-PAC, which reduced kinematic transport and warmed the SSTAs. We don't have that this time, at least for now.

UAH differences from August to September:

Yeah pretty obvious.

North Pole:

August: -0.50C

September: +0.20C

South Pole:

August: 0.28C

September: 1.13C

Northern Hemisphere:

August: 0.25C

September: 0.19C

Southern Hemisphere:

August: 0.15C

September: 0.41C

Okay? The heat doesn't just sit over the domain of which it was sourced. It's carried poleward, as it was through most of October, forcing a strong -AO. Poleward heat displacement has been impressive since October 5th.

You said:

The satellite data warmed in September as the sensible and latent heat flux into the atmosphere increased over the NH.

October has nothing to do with that statement. 

Nor was it because heat was carried poleward.

And no this heat out of the Northern Hemisphere oceans didn't cause the SH warming.

You said:

October has nothing to do with that statement.

Nor was it because heat was carried poleward.

And no this heat out of the Northern Hemisphere oceans didn't cause the SH warming.

The heat flux increased, and the lower troposphere was significantly warmer than it would have been, as a result.

Unless you want to deny reality? You've done a lot of that lately.

The Northern Hemisphere oceans were 0.31C in August and 0.31C in September on UAH.

The Northern Hemisphere land was 0.18C in August and 0.06C in September.

The ocean stayed the same and the land cooled.

The Southern Hemisphere ocean warmed from 0.16C in August to 0.30C in September. The land warmed from 0.15C in August to 0.74C in September.

The vast majority of that was the South pole land warming from 0.20C in August to 1.99C in September.

the North pole cooled.

So you are claiming heat out of the Northern Hemisphere oceans warmed the South Pole and SH oceans?

How am I denying reality?

Archived