12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

meatwad

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody is claiming all rain. I think everyone sees a few hours of snow, but I think the warm air will save us from ice.

The models aren't even showing that. They are showing a prolonged period of ice. The 0c line does get north of pittsburgh but surface temps stay below freezing on most models for a long portion of the precip.

I still don't see all rain like some are claiming.

8hnf7xE.png

Nobody is claiming all rain. I think everyone sees a few hours of snow, but I think the warm air will save us from ice.

I've actually seen instances in Bethel, with storms similar to this, where I get snow for maybe a half hour and then it quickly changes over to a mess the rest of the time. Wouldn't surprise me if that happens with this one as well. That "WTOD" is almost always underestimated by the models and even the local mets. I've just seen it happen too many times with storms like this one to not think it'll happen again.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

The models aren't even showing that. They are showing a prolonged period of ice. The 0c line does get north of pittsburgh but surface temps stay below freezing on most models for a long portion of the precip.

12z Runs have been a step in the wrong direction for sure. Certainly warmer aloft which should keep snow totals down. Big question will be how long do we stay sleet before transition to zr and does the surface actually stay below freezing. Heavy rain and 31 degrees will limit icing for sure.

Variables that I have no idea how much if anything will come into play, at least for the surface is the substantial fresh snow pack to our South, and the lows last night in most areas were in the teen,  ie pavement temps aren't going to be terribly warm to start plus most of this is happening overnight.

I've actually seen instances in Bethel, with storms similar to this, where I get snow for maybe a half hour and then it quickly changes over to a mess the rest of the time. Wouldn't surprise me if that happens with this one as well. That "WTOD" is almost always underestimated by the models and even the local mets. I've just seen it happen too many times with storms like this one to not think it'll happen again.

Sent from my XT897

I agree, and with things trending warmer its probably even more prudent to lean on past experience. The text output of the GFS now has nearly .5 qpf as 33 degree rain at kagc. These things rarely bust colder. Not seeing a lot of reason to be optimistic if you are South of Butler and Armstrong right now for much snow. Heck I'd settle for 2 inches of sleet, that would be pretty odd to see, but guessing zr and rain end up being the main story. Keep expectations low, and hope for a surprise.

My forecast rules for this one, for areas south of I80 and west of the ridges:

If you got 6"+ from the last storm, enjoy the rain and the fact ice won't be extreme on the front end.

If you got 2-5" from the last storm, it will be a typically battleground slop storm where rain eventually wins out. However, it may be impactful for a while

If you got less than 2", you may see a significant snow from this one, and better chances of all frozen

My forecast rules for this one, for areas south of I80 and west of the ridges:

If you got 6"+ from the last storm, enjoy the rain and the fact ice won't be extreme on the front end.

This!

After hearing a lot of communities are telling people to stay home if it's ice cause they only enough salts to do bends and hills is scary. I'll gladly take all rain here especially since we have white stuff on the horizon.

Ice at this time could be a tragic mess.

Archived