joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

meatwad

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice I was just about to start the new one.....surprised they're being so bullish with the WWA....is honestly be surprised if we saw 3-4" from the clipper....I was thinking more on the lines of 1-2"....

Yeah, 1-2 is probably what we'll see out of it. The WWA isn't for us. North and east will see a little bit more. Look at it this way, you and I will probably see more out of this clipper than we did that last storm.

Let me be the first to post in this thread. woops. 3rd to post in this thread. You guys are fast.

Looking forward to 2 rounds of snow. 1-2 overnight and another inch or so tomorrow late in the day.

Hope we can get the front to move faster this weekend to get some cold in here to change the rain to snow.

As far as Christmas goes I could go either way as I have to drive the day after Christmas to southwest New York and I want good driving conditions so as much as I want a White Christmas I would rather have a safe driving Christmas.

Last year was great as we had that big snow the day after that I drove just ahead of and had over a foot of snow after I got to my destination and snow all week.

I would take that again. 

Then we still have January and February so I am optimistic.  :santa:  :snowing:  :snowwindow:

Looks like precip is entering the area soon. Atleast with clippers we know its usually all snow. Maybe we can eek out 4 inches from this.

Not looking very good, unless that shield of precip starts expanding pretty quickly. As it looks now I'd say we'd be lucky to see an inch tonight from this. Maybe another inch tomorrow. 

Not looking very good, unless that shield of precip starts expanding pretty quickly. As it looks now I'd say we'd be lucky to see an inch tonight from this. Maybe another inch tomorrow. 

And that's the downside to clippers. Usually we have no problems with it being all snow, but at the same time they have little moisture to work with. I never get real excited about clippers. Every once in a while you get one that overperforms, which is a nice surprise. Usually it's an inch or two at best around here. North and east tend to do a little better.

Anyone have an idea as to when we may get some more favorable teleconnections? Right now nothing is on our side; +NAO, -PNA, +AO.  Rubbish.  Is this warmup prolonged or just a respite before winter comes back? I have a funny feeling with the unusually wintry December, one of January or February is going to be warm and not-so snowy.

Also I can't find a link for the EPO projections - anyone have one?

Anyone have an idea as to when we may get some more favorable teleconnections? Right now nothing is on our side; +NAO, -PNA, +AO.  Rubbish.  Is this warmup prolonged or just a respite before winter comes back? I have a funny feeling with the unusually wintry December, one of January or February is going to be warm and not-so snowy.

Also I can't find a link for the EPO projections - anyone have one?

This is what I have been able to gather from reading the other forums, after this brief albeit major torch (could see temps in the 60s Sunday, nice way to vaporize a snow pack :cry: ) we go back to more seasonable temperatures. After we go back to more favorable temperatures, the storm chances will be more northern stream dominated for awhile before the split flow looks to possibly re-establish itself. All the while, the -EPO continues (possibly flirting with neutral or positive for a bit), albeit flattened out a bit, and may even be a pseudo +PNA for awhile. Long term does look to have a period of better AO and NAO however the extent and duration remains to be seen. All in all nothing points to a complete lack of wintry weather, but its not a perfect setup either. Given the time of year, I'll take temperatures near normal with clippers and possible return an STJ influence.

SE ridge is gonna be in full force. Hopes for any type of white Christmas are zero. Hopefully we can see a huge storm this year but its tough living in Pittsburgh.

If the 93-94 analog is indeed playing out, that year had a big storm. 

Also, here's climo for Pittsburgh, which can be found on what is quite a good snow data page: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/pbz/tsnow.htm

FREQUENCY OF HEAVY SNOWFALLS

Snowfalls of 16 inches or more...............once in 15 years

Snowfalls of 13-15 inches or more............once in 5 years

Snowfalls of 8-12 inches or more.............once every two years

Snowfalls of 5 inches or more................twice a year

Archived