SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

meatwad

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the 93-94 analog is indeed playing out, that year had a big storm.

Also, here's climo for Pittsburgh, which can be found on what is quite a good snow data page: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/pbz/tsnow.htm:

FREQUENCY OF HEAVY SNOWFALLS

Snowfalls of 16 inches or more...............once in 15 years

Snowfalls of 13-15 inches or more............once in 5 years

Snowfalls of 8-12 inches or more.............once every two years

Snowfalls of 5 inches or more................twice a year

I have read that before but if the analog 1994 is being thrown out we had a SW PA special with two feet falling in some places. I would take that in a heartbeat. I wish it was just warming up and not raining everyday. The warmth for a few days would not be all that bad.

SE ridge is gonna be in full force. Hopes for any type of white Christmas are zero. Hopefully we can see a huge storm this year but its tough living in Pittsburgh.

I thinkwe see more of the same from early december, at least after the torch. We will see a gradient setup with NS systems dropping in and if we are on the right side of the gradient we get wintry weather. No big bombs, but frequent chances at lighter snow.

Its definitly going to be a miserable weekend witth the pouring rain. It is a shame the torch didn't hold off until after Christmas but what can you do. It looks like after the cold front goes through there may be some LES, if we can get the ground to freeze up again and get a bit of a widespread light snow, sort of like we have today it may be whiteish for Christmas in some locations.

I wonder if we see flood watches go up for the weekend? Probably about .5 - 1 inch worth of liquid equivalent in snow and ice on top of a frozen ground with a possible 2-3 inches more coming this weekend. :flood:

post-328-0-12827800-1387377812_thumb.jpg

I thinkwe see more of the same from early december, at least after the torch. We will see a gradient setup with NS systems dropping in and if we are on the right side of the gradient we get wintry weather. No big bombs, but frequent chances at lighter snow.

Its definitly going to be a miserable weekend witth the pouring rain. It is a shame the torch didn't hold off until after Christmas but what can you do. It looks like after the cold front goes through there may be some LES, if we can get the ground to freeze up again and get a bit of a widespread light snow, sort of like we have today it may be whiteish for Christmas in some locations.

I wonder if we see flood watches go up for the weekend? Probably about .5 - 1 inch worth of liquid equivalent in snow and ice on top of a frozen ground with a possible 2-3 inches more coming this weekend. :flood:

attachicon.gifflood.JPG

Let just say I wouldn't park on the Mon Wharf this weekend....

attachicon.gifflood.JPG

I never want a big storm Christmas Eve only because of all the travel I have to do to church and visit the family and the elderly that like to go out have a tough time. The best I remember and I am not sure of the year it was around 1991-93 in that range. My wife and I came out of Christmas Eve service around 10:00 at night and we had a surprise big flake fluffy white snow that gave us about 1/2 inch and covered everything. There was no wind at all. It was like a snow globe snowfall. MY wife and I drove around in it looking at all the lights in the neighborhood. I was living in the Plum/Murrysville area at the time. It made for a white Christmas but not enough to deter travel. I would take one of those on Christmas Eve.

attachicon.gifflood.JPG

Oh man look at that banana high, too bad it isn't another 200-300 miles south.  If we could get the PV down into our area that would be a decent snow signal.

Well folks it's been an interesting start to the season so far.

It reminds me a bit of some of those 1990's winters that featured the rain/snow line in sw pa, and cad in central pa.

Now of course most of us will always take the cold and snow, however the break we have coming up isn't all that bad.

So hopefully we can look foward to a reboot around new years, and start 2014 with more storm chances.

This will be my last post with Christmas coming up and some family issues. I shall return once we see some more winter weather. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and they enjoy the warm weather even though it will be pouring. Anyway safe travels and enjoy the holidays.

Well folks it's been an interesting start to the season so far.

It reminds me a bit of some of those 1990's winters that featured the rain/snow line in sw pa, and cad in central pa.

Now of course most of us will always take the cold and snow, however the break we have coming up isn't all that bad.

So hopefully we can look foward to a reboot around new years, and start 2014 with more storm chances.

All of PA is above or well above normal for snow so far. I'll take it.

All of PA is above or well above normal for snow so far. I'll take it.

Agree, can't complain thus far one bit. I'll also be happy to not feel the need to check the models while visiting relatives and trying to sneak onto their computer lol. Once Christmas wraps up things might start getting interesting again. Also a plus for those traveling is that there aren't any impending treachours travel conditions on the horizon.

I know it may not seem like a big deal to some but has anyone else noted this little disturbance that has been showing up on the models for Tuesday? Right now it looks like nothing but maybe 1/2 inch of snow showers possible but I would be happy to get even a coating Christmas Eve for a White Christmas. 

I know it may not seem like a big deal to some but has anyone else noted this little disturbance that has been showing up on the models for Tuesday? Right now it looks like nothing but maybe 1/2 inch of snow showers possible but I would be happy to get even a coating Christmas Eve for a White Christmas. 

Is everyone off on Christmas break? I still think we get some snow on Tuesday. 

Man look at the radar!!.....it just keeps coming and reloading-why can't we get that kind of conveyor when the cold is in place??! Haha

Yeah really. lol

Mabey not so much last weekends storm, but so far it seems that these nice moisture laden storms, have only had narrow areas of snow associated with them.

Could just be climo, but it is a waste of so much moisture.

mcd2108.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2108
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1155 PM CST SAT DEC 21 2013

AREAS AFFECTED...ERN OH...WRN PA AND NRN WV

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 220555Z - 220730Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...40 PERCENT

SUMMARY...AN ISOLATED WIND DAMAGE THREAT MAY CONTINUE FOR A FEW MORE
HOURS ACROSS ERN OH AND MAY AFFECT WRN PA AND NRN WV. A BRIEF
TORNADO WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE WITH THE STRONGER PORTION OF THE LINE
ACROSS SE OH. WW ISSUANCE CAN NOT BE RULED OUT ACROSS THE MCD AREA.

DISCUSSION...A FINE LINE CURRENTLY EXTENDS FROM A 999 MB SFC LOW
JUST SOUTH OF CLEVELAND OH SSWWD INTO ERN KY. SFC DEWPOINTS AHEAD OF
THE LINE ARE IN THE UPPER 50S F AND INSTABILITY IS WEAK.
HOWEVER...OBJECTIVE ANALYSIS SHOWS A VERY STRONG LOW-LEVEL JET IN
CNTRL KY WITH WINDS SPEED AROUND 80 KT . THIS FEATURE ALONG WITH A
FORWARD SPEED OF THE LINE AT 55 KT WILL MAKE WIND DAMAGE POSSIBLE
OVER THE NEXT 1 TO 2 HOURS AS THE FINE LINE APPROACHES WRN PA AND
NWRN WV. FURTHER TO THE SOUTH...DUE TO THE VERY STRONG LOW-LEVEL
SHEAR...A BRIEF TORNADO CAN NOT BE RULED OUT NEAR THE OH RIVER ON
THE OH-WV STATELINE.

..BROYLES/THOMPSON.. 12/22/2013

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 589

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

130 AM EST SUN DEC 22 2013

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 589 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 AM EST

FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

PAC003-005-007-019-031-051-053-059-063-065-073-085-121-125-129-

221200-

/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0589.131222T0630Z-131222T1200Z/

PA

. PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ALLEGHENY ARMSTRONG BEAVER

BUTLER CLARION FAYETTE

FOREST GREENE INDIANA

JEFFERSON LAWRENCE MERCER

VENANGO WASHINGTON WESTMORELAND

SXUS71 KPBZ 222215

RERPIT

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

0512 PM EST SUN DEC 22 2013

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT PITTSBURGH PA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 72 DEGREES WAS SET AT PITTSBURGH PA

TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 67 SET IN 1949.

Well, maybe one of us will get lucky tomorrow and get a quick coating from a snow shower or two. Not holding my breath on that one, but you never know. Otherwise, it'll be another green Christmas.

Yeah with generally light precipitation and warm ground temps I'd be worried that it will melt on contact. Maybe I'm over doing that warm ground aspect, but with highs in the 70s yesterday its going to be hard to overcome. At least there will be snow in the air tomorrow.

Yeah with generally light precipitation and warm ground temps I'd be worried that it will melt on contact. Maybe I'm over doing that warm ground aspect, but with highs in the 70s yesterday its going to be hard to overcome. At least there will be snow in the air tomorrow.

Yes it will be nice to see snow in the air on Christmas Eve. Hope we can at least get a coating or so.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

828 AM EST TUE DEC 24 2013

OHZ041-049-050-059-PAZ007-008-013>016-020>022-029-073-WVZ001>003-

241445-

ALLEGHENY PA-ARMSTRONG PA-BEAVER PA-BELMONT OH-BROOKE WV-BUTLER PA-

CLARION PA-COLUMBIANA OH-HANCOCK WV-HARRISON OH-JEFFERSON PA-

JEFFERSON OH-LAWRENCE PA-MERCER PA-OHIO WV-VENANGO PA-WASHINGTON PA-

WESTMORELAND PA-

828 AM EST TUE DEC 24 2013

...MODERATE SNOW SHOWERS WILL AFFECT ALLEGHENY...ARMSTRONG...BEAVER...

BROOKE...BUTLER...CLARION...EASTERN LAWRENCE...HANCOCK...JEFFERSON...

NORTHERN BELMONT...NORTHWESTERN WESTMORELAND...OHIO...SOUTHEASTERN

COLUMBIANA...SOUTHEASTERN HARRISON...SOUTHEASTERN MERCER...SOUTHERN

VENANGO...WASHINGTON AND WEST CENTRAL JEFFERSON COUNTIES...

AT 808 AM EST...A BAND OF MODERATE SNOW SHOWERS MOVING EAST AT

25 MPH ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM VENANGO COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA

TO BELMONT COUNTY OHIO WILL RESULT IN A PERIOD OF MODERATE

SNOW SHOWERS THIS MORNING IMPACTING THE MORNING COMMUTE. THE PERIOD

OF MORE INTENSE SNOW SHOWERS WILL LAST FOR APPROXIMATELY ONE HOUR

ONCE THE INTENSITY PICKS UP AT ANY GIVEN LOCATION AND RESULT IN

SNOW COVERING UNTREATED ROADS AND VISIBILITIES REDUCED TO BETWEEN

1 AND 3 MILES.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

PITTSBURGH... WEIRTON... TOMLINSON RUN STATE PARK...

SUN VALLEY... NEWELL... NEW MANCHESTER...

NEW CUMBERLAND... CHESTER... SLIPPERY ROCK...

SHIPPINGPORT... MORAINE STATE PARK... MCCONNELLS MILL...

KENNERDELL...

PLEASE REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER BY CALLING...412-262-1988...POSTING

TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING TWITTER

@NWSPITTSBURGH.

LAT...LON 4129 7896 4004 7996 4004 8115 4130 8008

$$

Well I was wrong, woke up to a coating of snow and its still coming down. Even spotty areas on the road have some covering. No reason to suspect it will melt as temps should fall as the day goes on. Merry Christmas everyone!

Warm ground is consistently overrated on here going back to when we were all posting at Wright-Weather. Looking at Pittsburgh webcams I see today can be added to the many examples where so-called warm ground isn't much of a factor. The ground obviously chilled enough overnight. Just have seen so many examples of snow on ground after warm spells including some in Oct.

Archived