• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Christmas Winter Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

That '94 event is the same one I mentioned above. The last good ice storm here...But I was much too young to remember it.

Yeah I was in high school.  The forecast had called for freezing rain to change over to snow, with significant accumulations.  I remember being in class looking out the window wondering when the hell the changeover would happen.  It didn't change over until well after midnight that night, and was just a small amount of snow.  Didn't have the benefit of models back then, so had to depend on TV/weather radio etc.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only remember one real ice storm here from when I was in elementary school....not sure when it was, but looking at records, April 2003 probably?

Remember it being awesome. I live with a big forest area right behind my house facing west...the sunset was extraordinary. Enough so that it still sticks with me.

I only remember one real ice storm here from when I was in elementary school....not sure when it was, but looking at records, April 2003 probably?

Remember it being awesome. I live with a big forest area right behind my house facing west...the sunset was extraordinary. Enough so that it still sticks with me.

Yup same here. I remember walking around our property and hearing the crack of tree limbs pretty much every minute. We were without power for 7 days

Yeah I was in high school.  The forecast had called for freezing rain to change over to snow, with significant accumulations.  I remember being in class looking out the window wondering when the hell the changeover would happen.  It didn't change over until well after midnight that night, and was just a small amount of snow.  Didn't have the benefit of models back then, so had to depend on TV/weather radio etc.

At least there probably wasn't the same let down of not getting what was initially expected after tracking it for days, as is the case now.

Yes April 2003 3 days of FRZ with thunderstorms then we had a 6" snowstorm. , Some places in Northern Oakland was without power for 10 days! My house hold was w/o power for 5 days. 

my brother and I skated around our front yard during that event. P sure we had a snow pack going into it as well.

yup...my sister and I had a longest "skate" (in shoes) competitions down the driveway...running start on the lawn and see who travels the furthest without extra strides...Pretty sure we had snow at our house...we had to break through the crust to pat down the snow to make our running path for the competition

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The temps are forecast to be not too far above freezing. The snow still has probably 0.7" water content in it so that is sustaining power. I can tell you that we are FULLY on the same page with your last two sentences - Now this all depends if it's all a rain event. Hopefully we don't have to find out. :)

Wipe this SP out and start fresh after the new year. Snow looks like **** piled on the side of the road. Not mention ice damming in gutters is a huge issue.

We had a real bad ice storm here back in Dec '94 with 3/4-1" of glazing.  No power for a few days.  From a met standpoint it was fascinating, but the damage it does and being without power is a pain in the arse to deal with. 

I think the 1994 Ice event was Jan 26-27th. It was widespread from Iowa to Ontario

Yeah Northern and Central Oakland County got something like 1.0-1.25" of ice. I remember seeing a good ice storm like that at CMU, it damaged most of the trees in town. I believe it was in February of 2006.

A snippet from NWS DTX with respect to the 03 storm

The Ice Storm of April 3rd – 5th, 2003 – Several rounds of showers and thunderstorms erupted along an arctic front. Heavy freezing rain impacted locations from the northern Detroit Suburbs up through the Tri Cities and thumb region, while just rain occurred farther south due to warmer air. Hardest hit areas included Oakland, Lapeer, Macomb and St Clair Counties, where ice accumulated over an inch. The ice brought down thousands of trees and damaged hundreds of homes, businesses, and cars. An estimated 450,000 people lost power, many of which were without power for up to a week. Three deaths and several injuries were attributed to this storm.

Another one I can remember from years previous was in 1997

From DTX:

On March 14, 1997, low pressure tracked across Southeast Lower Michigan. The storm brought widespread precipitation, mostly in the form of freezing rain, to Southeast Michigan from late on the 13th into the morning of the 14th. Total precipitation amounts ranged from around an inch to nearly two and a half inches. In the Detroit Metropolitan area, the ice storm resulted in power outages to over 425,000 homes and businesses; one of the largest outages in history. Several thousand residents were without power for as long as 4 to 5 days. In addition to powerlines, falling trees damaged dozens of cars and houses throughout the area.

Archived