Welcome to American Weather
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John1122

Snow/Ice Event 10-9/10-10 Miss/TN/Alabama

34 posts in this topic

Currently 34 degrees here at my area on the Northern Cumberland Plateau. Under a WWA for ZR/Sleet/Snow. 

Moisture returns are showing up fairly nicely to the SW. OHX has mentioned the possibility of upgrading the WWA to a Winter Storm Warning for their Southern and Eastern portions.

Temp now at 40 as the cold air at the surface slowly works in from the northwest. Have that feeling that it won't pan out but should be fun to watch. QPF has slightly increased on last few runs and radar looks good. Cumberland plateau should get 2-4 inches after the switch (if it doesn't start as snow) as temps already are at freezing.

OK, you guys are just intentionally messing with me regarding these titles now.  :)

LOL. Its all good bro, even I forget sometimes that this is americanwx instead of ncwx :D

Cumberland Plateau looks to be a pretty scene in the AM

This is shaping up to be an impacting event for these areas and there was no thread for it at all. So I figured it was needed. 

JKL's evening discussion says that their I-75 corridor counties in Southern KY have the potential to see up to 4 inches in areas where it's all snow. 

How much rain/zr/sleet falls will have a big impact of potential accums of course. It's going to be close for any area East of I-75/South of 1-40 on getting much frozen to accumulate.

OK, you guys are just intentionally messing with me regarding these titles now.  :)

Granted the month could be changed from 10 to 12, but it's perfectly cromulent.  :)

Granted the month could be changed from 10 to 12, but it's perfectly cromulent.  :)

Heh it was an homage to the VA snow thread. 

Actually I had a brain lock apparently. I also meant to add OBS to the thread. If the mods could change it to 12-9/12-10 and add OBS I'd appreciate it.

OK, you just embiggened my vocabulary with that one, Stovepipe.  I confess I had to look it up.  :D

Per Huntsville WFO, they are seeing a rain/sleet/snow mix in Northern Alabama. Tupelo, Miss is also reporting "unknown" precip. The freezing line is in Southern Middle TN and lined up along the western edge of the Plateau.

According to the RAP, it looks to me like 850 temps might be good to go for the plateau for several hours of snow.  The valley might see a token flake.  Hard to say how much ice will muck with things though as temps drop.  Temp up to 40 now from 38 here earlier.  Not expecting anything noteworthy for Knoxville.

Sleet being reported in Cookeville now. Things look to get nasty on the Plateau to the Eastern Highland Rim in Tennessee.

How did that precip start up your way John?  Obviously cold rain here now but I'm curious at your elevation. 

Dropped to 39.

Just started here, it's sleet/rain and 34, the temp went up a degree right before the precip started reaching the surface. I wouldn't be shocked to see several hours of rain, as my sounding was on the borderline.

Seems legit.

dxqhs.jpg

Hopefully I wake up to a backend flizzard and you end up with a couple of inches.  Probably the best we can hope for with this one.

It's basically all sleet now, not sure how long that'll last. Crossville is reporting freezing rain and 33 degrees. Seems a bit impossible basically. It was 32 there but their temp also bumped a degree as precip moved into the area.

Snowing in Nashville, it's been an odd year with almost all the wintery weather happening from Nashville and points west, while the higher elevations in Eastern Tennessee have mostly missed out and just had the copious rain.