Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
December Banter

metalicwx366

Folks,

I have just survived the first 11 days of December, 2013, in Savannah at about 8 F above normal, including a tie of the all-time Dec. high of 83 and four highs of 80+ without incident. I know it doesn't seem possible, but It really is survivable, folks, it really is....well, if you are strong enough mentally. Above normal periods during winter aren't nearly as evil as they are made out to be. I think I'm going to be ok. Now, if I can just get rid of this nasty cold that I caught.  ;)

Yeah, we might not get a wall to wall cold winter until the ice age has been set in a few years, lol. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks,

I have just survived the first 11 days of December, 2013, in Savannah at about 8 F above normal, including a tie of the all-time Dec. high of 83 and four highs of 80+ without incident. I know it doesn't seem possible, but It really is survivable, folks, it really is....well, if you are strong enough mentally. Above normal periods during winter aren't nearly as evil as they are made out to be. I think I'm going to be ok. Now, if I can just get rid of this nasty cold that I caught. ;)

By the way I know have a cold as well. Hate being sick. I liked it better when we were torched last week.

Thinking of taking the kids to the Christmas lights tomorrow night at Piper's Lights and Lake Myra Lights in Wendell. Has anyone else ever been to those? Never been but they are free and that sounds better than $10 a person to go to Hill Ridge Farms in Youngsville for their lights.

we may do this tomorrow night as well.

Brad P tweeted out a link to this surveillance video.  It is a four-camera view of an individual's house in Washington, Illinois, directly before and during the powerful EF-4 tornado that tore through that town.  This is both incredibly awe-inspiring (to witness the power of this tornado) and devastating (to witness the destruction wrought on these people) at the same time.

Brad P tweeted out a link to this surveillance video.  It is a four-camera view of an individual's house in Washington, Illinois, directly before and during the powerful EF-4 tornado that tore through that town.  This is both incredibly awe-inspiring (to witness the power of this tornado) and devastating (to witness the destruction wrought on these people) at the same time.

This is the wildest footage I've seen so far, shows what living through one of these feels like.

Thinking of taking the kids to the Christmas lights tomorrow night at Piper's Lights and Lake Myra Lights in Wendell. Has anyone else ever been to those? Never been but they are free and that sounds better than $10 a person to go to Hill Ridge Farms in Youngsville for their lights.

Haven't been to Piper's Lights, but I've been to Wendell. They are neat since they are synchronized with music and repeat every 50 minutes or so. But I have also driven by Hill Ridge at night -- there's not really a comparison. Hill Ridge has the hayrides, candy store, train, activities for kids, and at least 20X more lights everywhere but not set to music. If you've ever been to or heard of Meadow Lights in Benson, it's more comparable to that but much much better. I had family wait in traffic for 3 hours to get to Meadow Lights and it was seriously underwhelming/disappointing for the time spent in traffic.

Haven't been to Piper's Lights, but I've been to Wendell. They are neat since they are synchronized with music and repeat every 50 minutes or so. But I have also driven by Hill Ridge at night -- there's not really a comparison. Hill Ridge has the hayrides, candy store, train, activities for kids, and at least 20X more lights everywhere but not set to music. If you've ever been to or heard of Meadow Lights in Benson, it's more comparable to that but much much better. I had family wait in traffic for 3 hours to get to Meadow Lights and it was seriously underwhelming/disappointing for the time spent in traffic.

But all that other stuff is extra at Hill Ridge Farms. You pay $10 a person to ride through the lights and the train and all the other stuff costs extra. I just can't see spending $30 to go see the lights. My daughter would be free because she doesn't turn 4 until Saturday, and they start charging at age 4. That is even more than it was when they had it at Walnut Creek before, and at least there they charged for the whole car.

But all that other stuff is extra at Hill Ridge Farms. You pay $10 a person to ride through the lights and the train and all the other stuff costs extra. I just can't see spending $30 to go see the lights. My daughter would be free because she doesn't turn 4 until Saturday, and they start charging at age 4. That is even more than it was when they had it at Walnut Creek before, and at least there they charged for the whole car.

It's your call -- if you want to save $30+, then don't go to Hill Ridge. Every light show is different, so pick what best suits your kids interests. You should have an idea of what they like.

Lake Myra has the cool synchronized with music thing going on, the flying angel, and whatnot. But if your kids expect to see lights similar to what Walnut Creek had with the wire frames of elves and reindeer and snowmen and animated snowflakes jumping over the pathway and stuff, you won't find that in Wendell.

Both are great places to go, but very different types of light shows. You need to pick what your kids would like best, but also what your wallet can afford.

I just looked at the accuweather 45 day forecast :blink:  for kick and giggles... and there's no mention of snow not even a flurry in the next 45 days!!!  two or three times they said watch for ice. lol    (SAD THING IS, THEY WILL PROBABLY BE RIGHT).  It has just as good chance of verify as any guess that far out. Because it's the SE where it hardly ever snows...  You would think GFS would have a fantasy storm here within 45 days?  Like I said just for laughs, that will probably turn to tears in 45 days!!! :cry:

Don't misunderstand me here, I don't even take their 5 day forecast serious much less 45 day....

Boy the SE forums aren't what they used to be. We now have way too many JI posters and negative Nannies who just can't wait to deliver all the bad news of how hot its going to be and cancel winter before it even starts. I've been around for 10 years including the Eastern Days. Things use to be more pleasant here. Thankfully. We do still have some good posters though.

Archived