• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Reconsider majoring in meteorology!

That average is skewed by the few who work on large-market TV stations.

Someone posted an article some time ago that said the 80K or whatever was actually the median salary, not the average. The median would not allow it to be skewed by the higher paid folks on TV, high level NWS, or energy jobs, but I have a hard time believing that is actually the median salary for a met.

• 1 month later...

This thread is a pretty discouraging read for anyone trying to enter the field like myself. Unfortunately, I don't have anything good to add to it since I've been looking for a job in the field for a better part of a year without much luck. I'm a case in point that even with an MS degree and some programming background it is still very difficult to break-in. Despite applying for a number of positions and a some interviews, no offers. Due to my lack of success, this leaves me in a position where I will probably have to either train for a new line of work or return to grad school pursue a PhD in the field if I don't land a job soon. This is not where I saw myself several years ago when I began my pursuit of meteorology. Yes, it is my passion, but I wasn't really thinking about the job market in this field when I was entering college.

If I chose to find something else, I may try to go into the computer programming or IT field as this seems to be a field where there are many more opportunities with better compensation than meteorology. I'm not sure if IT certification or an Associate's Degree is enough to land me a job in IT or computer programming, but I can't stay motionless forever. Of course, my other option is to return to grad school to pursue a PhD, provided I can gain admission to a program. Question is, what are the job prospects for someone with a PhD in atmospheric science or related discipline? I was told that it may "open more doors", but if it's still really tough to break in with a PhD, then it may not be worth the effort. However, I enjoy research and programming a lot more than forecasting, so maybe this is in my best interest. Then again, if it doesn't ultimately land me a position such as a postdoc or research job, maybe not.

While I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from pursuing their passions and dreams, please be aware of how competitive getting into this field is. Jobs are scarce and exceedingly difficult to get. Considering the challenge of the meteorology major and the state of the job market in this field, I think that the energy is better invested in another major such as engineering or computer science where there are more opportunities for employment upon graduation.

Of course, my other option is to return to grad school to pursue a PhD, provided I can gain admission to a program. Question is, what are the job prospects for someone with a PhD in atmospheric science or related discipline? I was told that it may "open more doors", but if it's still really tough to break in with a PhD, then it may not be worth the effort. However, I enjoy research and programming a lot more than forecasting, so maybe this is in my best interest. Then again, if it doesn't ultimately land me a position such as a postdoc or research job, maybe not.

Is your desired area of expertise climate change?

The problem is that there are only so many mets that are needed and as a result the continuing growth in the number of graduates in unsustainable. In some fields, supply can create its own demand and/or there are good reasons that the field will grow. I think in the comming years growth in some sectors of meteorology will be roughly offset by the number of jobs lost to automation. If you have the time and money and have a real passion for meteorology the best bet is probably to do a double major in a related field, such as math or computer programming. This helps you in two ways: 1) you have something to fall back on 2) you will be that much more marketable since many jobs in meteorology are also looking for someone with these additional skills. It's tough. One question, have you had someone critique your resumes / cover letters? These things will make you or break you just as much or more than your actual qualifications - if its not written in the best possible format / wording you may not stand out. Good luck to you.

This thread is a pretty discouraging read for anyone trying to enter the field like myself. Unfortunately, I don't have anything good to add to it since I've been looking for a job in the field for a better part of a year without much luck. I'm a case in point that even with an MS degree and some programming background it is still very difficult to break-in. Despite applying for a number of positions and a some interviews, no offers. Due to my lack of success, this leaves me in a position where I will probably have to either train for a new line of work or return to grad school pursue a PhD in the field if I don't land a job soon. This is not where I saw myself several years ago when I began my pursuit of meteorology. Yes, it is my passion, but I wasn't really thinking about the job market in this field when I was entering college.

If I chose to find something else, I may try to go into the computer programming or IT field as this seems to be a field where there are many more opportunities with better compensation than meteorology. I'm not sure if IT certification or an Associate's Degree is enough to land me a job in IT or computer programming, but I can't stay motionless forever. Of course, my other option is to return to grad school to pursue a PhD, provided I can gain admission to a program. Question is, what are the job prospects for someone with a PhD in atmospheric science or related discipline? I was told that it may "open more doors", but if it's still really tough to break in with a PhD, then it may not be worth the effort. However, I enjoy research and programming a lot more than forecasting, so maybe this is in my best interest. Then again, if it doesn't ultimately land me a position such as a postdoc or research job, maybe not.

While I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from pursuing their passions and dreams, please be aware of how competitive getting into this field is. Jobs are scarce and exceedingly difficult to get. Considering the challenge of the meteorology major and the state of the job market in this field, I think that the energy is better invested in another major such as engineering or computer science where there are more opportunities for employment upon graduation.

My International Biz teacher from China had 7 patents on dialysis machines... eventually left the science side when sales VPs/COs of said med tech sales firms were banking on his invention.

He left and got an MBA in London around the age of 35, then he went to another med-tech firm to be the COO...

Millions later, he definitely insisted we take his later route (business), sooner.

IMO, the OP needs to understand its not a great life to be a met (or any type of science) if you are even going to introduce the idea of financial compensation into the decision-making process.

Go into the private sector with your ideas and your met degree and make a ton of money...I have only a business background and I follow weather as a hobby.

If the NWS provides my business needs with as much free info as I need, of course the market for 'mets' is low...

Show my business how you can provide me with something my tax dollars don't, and I'll pay you what your value prop is worth.

IMO, the OP is backwards. The state of affairs is perfect for people to innovate, create and discover in met....instead of working in a local weather office cranking out forecasts, you are creating new ideas and advancing technology.

It couldn't be a better time to have a degree in met, actually. The internet is making people far more in tune with weather, and there are enormous opportunities to enjoy a successful career in nearly every industry by having a degree in met...

What other factor, besides weather, does everyone in the world have to factor in to their daily plans in some way, shape or form?

That's why I tell the sales team I manage to bring up weather if they're having a tough time breaking the ice with a client - it never fails.

using Tapatalk

Is your desired area of expertise climate change?

Possibly...I am considering possibly going into the realm of ocean-atmosphere interaction and am looking at some oceanography programs. I can definitely see how climate change could be applied to this topic though. Are the opportunities more numerous in this area? Your response would seem to imply it.

Possibly...I am considering possibly going into the realm of ocean-atmosphere interaction and am looking at some oceanography programs. I can definitely see how climate change could be applied to this topic though. Are the opportunities more numerous in this area? Your response would seem to imply it.

Most definitely, yes.

If I cared all that much about money, I wouldn't have gone into meteorology in the first place, I'm much more motivated by advancing the science or improving the lives of the population as a whole.

well you can't live off of 35K a year and support a family.

Engineering... Engineering... Engineering...

Everything else is pretty much toilet paper degree unless you get a masters.

Graduated last year in engineering making 60K a year straight outta the gate

Cool

My arguments weren't just about money though. Facts are fact and the issue is that there are only a couple hundred entry level jobs opening a year with the number of grads per year in the 600-1000 range ( see http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/2008BAMS2375.1 ) How does that make it a good time to be a met? I know my new posts are going to anger a bunch of people since they can't stand it if I have the last word on this issue. But sorry, I strongly believe I'm right - the facts unfortunately support my arguments. We'll have to agree to disagree.

My International Biz teacher from China had 7 patents on dialysis machines... eventually left the science side when sales VPs/COs of said med tech sales firms were banking on his invention.

He left and got an MBA in London around the age of 35, then he went to another med-tech firm to be the COO...

Millions later, he definitely insisted we take his later route (business), sooner.

IMO, the OP needs to understand its not a great life to be a met (or any type of science) if you are even going to introduce the idea of financial compensation into the decision-making process.

Go into the private sector with your ideas and your met degree and make a ton of money...I have only a business background and I follow weather as a hobby.

If the NWS provides my business needs with as much free info as I need, of course the market for 'mets' is low...

Show my business how you can provide me with something my tax dollars don't, and I'll pay you what your value prop is worth.

IMO, the OP is backwards. The state of affairs is perfect for people to innovate, create and discover in met....instead of working in a local weather office cranking out forecasts, you are creating new ideas and advancing technology.

It couldn't be a better time to have a degree in met, actually. The internet is making people far more in tune with weather, and there are enormous opportunities to enjoy a successful career in nearly every industry by having a degree in met...

What other factor, besides weather, does everyone in the world have to factor in to their daily plans in some way, shape or form?

That's why I tell the sales team I manage to bring up weather if they're having a tough time breaking the ice with a client - it never fails.

using Tapatalk

Who cares?

Sure, I could get a degree in engineering and probably do fine and have plenty of money to support a family. But, you only live once so I'd much rather have a career in something I'm interested in.

no I do; but the people who are arguing against me are also saying the exact same stuff ("it's not all about the money" or "if you have drive you can be successful", etc), over and over again. It works both ways:)

Your points don't anger anyone, I think they have some merit, but you just say the exact same thing over and over again every time someone posts something that you don't agree with, and you don't seem to realize it.

Good for you.

My arguments weren't just about money though. Facts are fact and the issue is that there are only a couple hundred entry level jobs opening a year with the number of grads per year in the 600-1000 range ( see http://journals.amet.../2008BAMS2375.1 ) How does that make it a good time to be a met? I know my new posts are going to anger a bunch of people since they can't stand it if I have the last word on this issue. But sorry, I strongly believe I'm right - the facts unfortunately support my arguments. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Sometimes you make silly points over and over again for no reason (hence why some folks get fed up with your posts)--but I agree with you here. It is such a tough market for all levels of meteorologists from B.S. to Ph.D. I think others have alluded to it here--but the best thing one can do is gain as much unique experience as possible in college to standout from the rest, try and get internships during the summer, volunteer at a NWS office, and double major in a different field for backup.

If I cared all that much about money, I wouldn't have gone into meteorology in the first place, I'm much more motivated by advancing the science or improving the lives of the population as a whole.

Exactly. I love helping people and having a positive impact in peoples lives--even if they don't know it. Weather is an important job--and that is all anyone could ask for in a career field.

I'm actually thinking seriously about switching majors to electrical or mechanical engineering. I have only completed 2 yrs of college so far, and the great thing is I did not waste time really because all the math/physics/gen ed classes required for MET is required for Engineering, and I have not taken any MET classes. So as much as it pains me to possible do this, math is also a big passion of mine, and engineering was always my plan B. Thoughts?

Note my sig. I was already set to be a MET major, but now is the time to switch as that is not set in stone yet.

I'm actually thinking seriously about switching majors to electrical or mechanical engineering. I have only completed 2 yrs of college so far, and the great thing is I did not waste time really because all the math/physics/gen ed classes required for MET is required for Engineering, and I have not taken any MET classes. So as much as it pains me to possible do this, math is also a big passion of mine, and engineering was always my plan B. Thoughts?

Note my sig. I was already set to be a MET major, but now is the time to switch as that is not set in stone yet.

There are a lot of options out there. I have a number of friends who graduated with a met degree then went into various engineering programs for their M.S. degrees--and they are successful and working in the engineering field. Doing this route would give you a chance to pursue your passion (meteorology) while setting you up for a different field should it not work out. Of course--this would also require that you get a M.S. Double majoring is possible, but that would be tough doing met/engineering at the same time. That is another possibility though.

Yes, that would be quite difficult. I'm at a huge deciding moment in the direction my life should go, and I like the opportunities/money engineering may provide (along with the sanity of knowing I have a better chance of landing a job to pay for all my loans). Meterology has always been a great passion of mine, like many of us, but honestly, I'd be content for it to remain just hobby.

There are a lot of options out there. I have a number of friends who graduated with a met degree then went into various engineering programs for their M.S. degrees--and they are successful and working in the engineering field. Doing this route would give you a chance to pursue your passion (meteorology) while setting you up for a different field should it not work out. Of course--this would also require that you get a M.S. Double majoring is possible, but that would be tough doing met/engineering at the same time. That is another possibility though.

HA, many many many people in this here country are living off 35K and are supporting a family.:arrowhead:

Who cares?

Sure, I could get a degree in engineering and probably do fine and have plenty of money to support a family. But, you only live once so I'd much rather have a career in something I'm interested in.

ya thats so true .. just make sure you can get through the math .. if calc isnt too bad, consider at least minoring in math ..

You are a lot more noble than I am to humanity. I went into meteorology (and stuck with it) because I love snowflakes piling up at a rapid pace.

I will admit for the purpose of this thread that meteorology is not the majority of my income though.

It may have already been mentioned but as much as a degree nowadays, it's the skill set that comes along with the degree that will likely prove useful going forward. If you're becoming adept at data processing with statistical methods, coding in a few different languages, predicting future events based on a number of factors, working odd hours, etc. it will serve you well regardless of what you end up doing. A lot of folks are changing hiring practices, looking for people with tools to attack variable problems, rather than just a degree in XYZ. Most folks I know are wearing several hats at their jobs, and therefore a variety of skills are necessary.