• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Reconsider majoring in meteorology!

Actually, and Scotty can attest to this, the Chinese (hong kong) born professor of meteorology at Kean has admitted many times that he would not have a clue how to forecast, but he is an absolute genius in mathematics and physics!

I don't remember Dr. Yoh admitting that he wouldn't know how to forecast, but I rarely ever saw him make one. His undergrad was in Meteorology(somewhere out the US I believe), but his PhD is actually in Physics.

inb4lock

This thread... had it's moments. Unfortunately, it has crashed, burned, the fire has gone out, and plants have started to grow over the ruins.

It's just a momentary lapse into crazy I imagine. The larger the thread the more chance crazy creeps in. It'll bounce back I'm sure. Although...the original idea has been hashed to death really.

I don't remember Dr. Yoh admitting that he wouldn't know how to forecast, but I rarely ever saw him make one. His undergrad was in Meteorology(somewhere out the US I believe), but his PhD is actually in Physics.

He told me that one time when I was pouring over the models doing Keancast. Basically said he would have no idea what to look at to make a good forecast.

He told me that one time when I was pouring over the models doing Keancast. Basically said he would have no idea what to look at to make a good forecast.

That makes no sense since he ran his own WRF every day and did research papers on mesoscale modeling with some met majors-mostly it was computer based though, but still.....

Yes, there are indeed great mets from all backgrounds. My only point is that at this time white males still make up the majority of met grads, at least 70-80% I'd say. But if they are only getting 50% or so of the jobs because of affirmative action I don't think that's fair. Its like title 9 - If 70% of those wanting to play high school sports are boys simply because to this day boys are generally more into sports, then 70% of high school sports teams should be boys teams, not the 50% that title 9 tries to artificially enforce.

Agreed.

I agree with your assessment that some of the best meteorologists I have met were non-American. Great mets come from everywhere , I guess. Perhaps a discussion for a different thread, but great minds come from all backgrounds.

Similarly, it would probably be equally hilarious hearing you pronounce Matlab or the equivalent in Korean, Japanese, or Chinese.

He started every class saying "Okayyyyyyyyyy", and one of my favorite lines he had was "Jews" of water "wapor".

All kidding aside, he was an awesome professor and the best teacher I've ever had-he helped me get the funds to get to the AMS meeting in New Orleans for my poster presentation.

He started every class saying "Okayyyyyyyyyy", and one of my favorite lines he had was "Jews" of water "wapor".

All kidding aside, he was an awesome professor and the best teacher I've ever had-he helped me get the funds to get to the AMS meeting in New Orleans for my poster presentation.

LOL always OOOOKAYYYYYY. The year before you had him for thermo, I was in his class, and Aaron Burton blurted out OOOOKKKKKAAAYYYY right after Dr Yoh. Then later he said he didn't remember doing it! That was a moment I'll never forget!

I wouldn't even focus on him being stereotypical of the Asian students per say...just that generally the rule is good in math and theory, terrible forecaster....good forecaster, terrible with the math and theory...not always true but true more than 50% of the time...whether its 50.01%, 88.9%, 63.5% etc. I don't know but I'd bet the house its over a 50% correlation for sure.....the smartest people unfortunately often have trouble grasping very basic concepts and social skills...I have such a hard time understanding how someone can be unable at the age of 30 or 40 to hold a 5 minute normal conversation but sadly many PhDs out there in ALL fields, not just meteorology do.

Its actually a really big problem in all the sciences, because the need to be able to communicate is fundamental-- otherwise each specialty becomes compartmentalized and convoluted and causes scientists to have no idea what is going on in terms of progress in fields outside their specialty (and sometimes even within.) Some of which could actually benefit their own line of work.

It's actually better now-- before the internet, I dont even want to think about how bad it was back then.

Yes, there are indeed great mets from all backgrounds. My only point is that at this time white males still make up the majority of met grads, at least 70-80% I'd say. But if they are only getting 50% or so of the jobs because of affirmative action I don't think that's fair. Its like title 9 - If 70% of those wanting to play high school sports are boys simply because to this day boys are generally more into sports, then 70% of high school sports teams should be boys teams, not the 50% that title 9 tries to artificially enforce.

Exactly..... the fact that people still discriminate based on what they see with their eyes says much more about them then it says about the people they are discriminating against.

LOL always OOOOKAYYYYYY. The year before you had him for thermo, I was in his class, and Aaron Burton blurted out OOOOKKKKKAAAYYYY right after Dr Yoh. Then later he said he didn't remember doing it! That was a moment I'll never forget!

For people reading this thread intending to pursue a met degree should check out Kean-we have many unique professors including what was mentioned before, an old school met whom still prefers the printout/fax maps to analyze storms(he hates computers), and a former NWA president!

Ok, anyone who hates computers should be banned from teaching meteorology. Teaching the old school way and ignoring the modern techniques and skills needed which involves computers will make for some very unemployable met grads. Simply put; you need to know computers! Its the modern tool of the trade. Not saying printout difax maps are bad, I still use them to analyze, but you gotta know the computer stuff too. That said, best to have a double major if you are doing meteorology with the job market the way it is in the field.

For people reading this thread intending to pursue a met degree should check out Kean-we have many unique professors including what was mentioned before, an old school met whom still prefers the printout/fax maps to analyze storms(he hates computers), and a former NWA president!

Ok, anyone who hates computers should be banned from teaching meteorology. Teaching the old school way and ignoring the modern techniques and skills needed which involves computers will make for some very unemployable met grads. Simply put; you need to know computers! Its the modern tool of the trade. Not saying printout difax maps are bad, I still use them to analyze, but you gotta know the computer stuff too. That said, best to have a double major if you are doing meteorology with the job market the way it is in the field.

Not necessarily, depends on what you're teaching.

And that's the issue with things today-Everyone relies too much on technology and not using the older techniques used back in the earlier days. Before I bought a smartphone and I was away from my computer I would look up at the sky and look at clouds to determine what the weather would be like for the next few hours. I used to carry around my Intro Met book in my truck because of the great appendix in the back for a quick reference guide on how to nowcast.

I also feel that what I learned from that one professor really enhanced my forecasting skills- although sometimes it was tedious to hand plot a sounding and hand analyze every level of a case study back in 1963, it helped me appreciate what our forefathers of the field went through.

The original post about this was referring to difax charts so it is obvious that he was talking about synoptic or some other forecasting/ analysis type class, not theoretical meteorology. In my response I was also referring to the teaching of synoptic met and forecasting - the practical stuff that you need for most met jobs. Maybe that wasn't clear but that is what I meant. Yes, for some met subjects computers are not needed as much or even at all.

The idea that you need computers to teach the theory or background of several meteorological subjects is completely absurd and without merit.

Its not an all or nothing argument here. I agree that the old school stuff is good too and shouldn't all be abandoned for the new stuff. It needs to be a mix of both. plotting soundings and hand analysis should be covered at the beginning of synoptic but it should not be the meat and potatoes of that course at the expense of learning the new stuff that you will need to know in the field. You may not agree with the way things currently are but that''s the reality and students need to be prepared for it. I work in an office with no windows to the outside and even if I did have windows it would only help with a small number of local clients. The days of just forecasting for your immediate local area are over

And that's the issue with things today-Everyone relies too much on technology and not using the older techniques used back in the earlier days. Before I bought a smartphone and I was away from my computer I would look up at the sky and look at clouds to determine what the weather would be like for the next few hours. I used to carry around my Intro Met book in my truck because of the great appendix in the back for a quick reference guide on how to nowcast.

I also feel that what I learned from that one professor really enhanced my forecasting skills- although sometimes it was tedious to hand plot a sounding and hand analyze every level of a case study back in 1963, it helped me appreciate what our forefathers of the field went through.

I can't completely disagree with the OP. I've been a degree Meteorologist since May of 2009 and have yet to even get a single call back or response. Highly competitive is an understatement... I've spent the last year and half now working minimum wage at a local retail store. I am thankful for the job, but really? Hopefully 2011, is a much better year. I'm pretty much up for just about anything just to get a foot in a door, or be a door stop in general. Don't get discouraged though. You should chase you're dreams no matter how bleak the outlook is. Good luck out there to my fellow Meteorologist struggling to find work. And best of luck to those striving to become Meteorologist.

I can't completely disagree with the OP. I've been a degree Meteorologist since May of 2009 and have yet to even get a single call back or response. Highly competitive is an understatement... I've spent the last year and half now working minimum wage at a local retail store. I am thankful for the job, but really? Hopefully 2011, is a much better year. I'm pretty much up for just about anything just to get a foot in a door, or be a door stop in general. Don't get discouraged though. You should chase you're dreams no matter how bleak the outlook is. Good luck out there to my fellow Meteorologist struggling to find work. And best of luck to those striving to become Meteorologist.

I noticed your sig says a "concentration in Atmospheric Science". What does that mean exactly? What are the Dif Eq, atmos physics and dynamics requirement for that? I'm just wondering if it meets the AMS requirements.