• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Radar for the Entire Country

EDIT: I've added some other links you might find useful below.

I thought I'd share all of my Google NEXRAD radar links. This links cover the entire US. All of these links load multiple radar sites and all the images come directly from the NWS servers. The loops refresh automatically, no need to do anything. As with all Google maps, you can drag, zoom, change map types, etc. Give each loop a moment to load, the more radar site to load, the longer it takes. The loops will smooth out once all the images load. I generally don't try to drag etc until everything is looping smoothly. I have some recommended settings for loop speed and opacity but it varies with different radar settings, precip intensity and type, etc. I will be creating more regional maps over the holidays to cover other regions other than the South and Southeast.

EDIT: I've just added a wide version of the south and southeast for the upcoming storm. I will be creating one for the Mid Atlantic and NE today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Google NEXRAD Radar Loops

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GRLevel3 Radar

I'm now using GRLevel3 radar with the default site being Atlanta (FFC). when storms develop, I will have additional sites in operation that will follow the storms progression. Several links are here:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model Time Updates

I also have a page that tells you the update time for each model that RaleighWX runs. It was always confusing (to me) as to when each one updated.

http://www.daculawea...odel_update.php

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to SE Forecast Products

Well, it started out I was just going to do a AFD page for each forecast office in the southeast. But as usual I get carried away.

So... I just completed adding the forecast, AFD's, and HWO's for all of the forecast offices in the Southeast. Instead of adding all the links here, click here go to the page.

No problem. I now have my GRLevel3 done for KFFC http://www.daculawea...el3/ffc_284.php I'll be adding other radar types for FFC, still experimenting though. The METAR obs can be turned on and off depending on conditions and right now they might go on and off as I configure and test it. I've also set it up so that if I save a radar view, it will upload immediately to my website for viewing. This ought to be fun to play with!

Raleigh is here http://www.daculawea...el3/rax_284.php

EDIT: The FFC link is in the process up updating to jpg's and a larger image so the current link is not updating. Once all ten images are generated, it will start working again.

Excellent stuff! Although I couldn't find a region that uses Buffalo doppler radar.

I'll fix that and post the addition here.

Ok, I added Buffalo and Cleveland to the New England Region radar view. If I've missed any more on any page, or if you have an idea for a different page, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I thought I'd share all of my Google NEXRAD radar links. This links cover the entire US. All of these links load multiple radar sites and all the images come directly from the NWS servers. The loops refresh automatically, no need to do anything. As with all Google maps, you can drag, zoom, change map types, etc. Give each loop a moment to load, the more radar site to load, the longer it takes. The loops will smooth out once all the images load. I generally don't try to drag etc until everything is looping smoothly. I have some recommended settings for loop speed and opacity but it varies with different radar settings, precip intensity and type, etc. I will be creating more regional maps over the holidays to cover other regions other than the South and Southeast. Mods, feel free to pin this if you'd like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a good 1km mosaic, compliments of the Univ. of Washington. It's great if you have a big monitor. It's address bar-configurable for duration and auto-reload.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops/wxloop.cgi?radar_us_full+/3h/+-noauto

No problem. I now have my GRLevel3 done for KFFC http://www.daculawea...el3/ffc_284.php I'll be adding other radar types for FFC, still experimenting though. The METAR obs can be turned on and off depending on conditions and right now they might go on and off as I configure and test it. I've also set it up so that if I save a radar view, it will upload immediately to my website for viewing. This ought to be fun to play with!

Raleigh is here http://www.daculawea...el3/rax_284.php

EDIT: The FFC link is in the process up updating to jpg's and a larger image so the current link is not updating. Once all ten images are generated, it will start working again.

You've been a busy boy Steve. Very nice!! I like those metars on there. Are those local WU ones or NWS?

Mainly because you're looking at several hundred radars, each with 10 images Not only would you be waiting along time, but your computer would basically be unusable while the script is working.

Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is I use this igoogle gadget which overlays on google maps and seems to achieve the result?

http://www.google.com/ig/directory?hl=en&url=gmapsflighttracker.com/weather/radar/weather-radar.xml

Let me know your thoughts.

Best

Thanks for the reply. The reason I ask is I use this igoogle gadget which overlays on google maps and seems to achieve the result?

http://www.google.co...ather-radar.xml

Let me know your thoughts.

Best

It can be done. You'll notice they don't animate the images though. Another way to do it is to use layers with zoom levels. Let me look into it.

BTW, for those of you in the southeast, by the end of the day I should have the forecast, AFD, and HWO for each forecast office in the southeast. Here's the menu you can find these under:

forecast.jpg

It can be done. You'll notice they don't animate the images though. Another way to do it is to use layers with zoom levels. Let me look into it.

BTW, for those of you in the southeast, by the end of the day I should have the forecast, AFD, and HWO for each forecast office in the southeast. Here's the menu you can find these under:

forecast.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Nice job you have done. The resolution seems much higher with your implementation. I like that.

Keep up the good work and I hope to be using this come Friday :)

Finally...

You can now go to one place to get the forecast, AFD, and HWO for the 23 NWS forecast offices in the southeast. I won't list it all here because besides the 23 offices there are three pages per office. So...

If you click on the banner below, it will take you to my main page on my site. From the menu across the top click on Forecast, Forecast Products, then find the state and office in that state. Besides the AFD and HWO's being separate links on the menu, they are also on the forecast page so you can get to them quickly.

Hope this helps!

I went to this on my android phone.. some notes/advice

1. The Forecast/Map location is in GA somewhere. The page should obtain the location from the device and show the forecast for that location.

2. The fixed width works somewhat ok in portrait mode, terrible in landscape. Need dynamic page sizing based on browser window size.

3. The small radio buttons under the radar are not optimized for touch

Archived