Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you calling for?

I am staying with 6" for KPOU.  I could see KSWF and areas of Orange Co around your hood doing better than that though....

6-10" is the safe bet. If the NAM is correct or banding sets up tomorrow night over the area then I can see someone ending up with 18".. We all know how intense and how fast you can pile up under those bands and the NAM is starting to signal our area under these bands. 

I'm hoping for 6" too with more than that (which is likely) a bonus IMO for MBY.

Yeah, i think that is a good number to set your expectations with.  I just don't feel good about how long we hold out versus flip to IP.. We all know that this area can often hold out longer than modeled, but I don't feel too bullish about it happening on this occasion with no blocking to keep the arctic high locked in...Perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised.  

I seem to enjoy the anticipation from the tracking of the storm in the days preceding the storm  as much as the actual event these days, so it is all good.

Good afternoon,

New models looks to hammer the interior NW sections.

Exepcting 10-14 of snow with some sleet possible.

Regards

You are looking golden up there in Vernon at 1400'. Being a bit further south and lower (~900') I still feel comfortable with 5-8" with the wild card being sleet. If no or little sleet 8 or more inches if sleet becomes prolonged or heavy then closer to 4-6". Not very concerned about freezing rain. I know some model data suggest it could be significant (ie 0.25"+) but I just do not see that as a widespread issue in this setup. To strong of flows / dynamics at various levels. Its either all snow / sleet or rain as I see it. Meaning when the battle between cold air hanging tough vs warm air trying to penetrate begins one or the other will overwhelmingly win at any given location. Now a narrow transition of freezing rain may occur but it may not last long or it my be transient as the transition line moves throughout the second half of the event. 

6-10" is the safe bet. If the NAM is correct or banding sets up tomorrow night over the area then I can see someone ending up with 18".. We all know how intense and how fast you can pile up under those bands and the NAM is starting to signal our area under these bands. 

That would be something if that verifies. One thing we have to watch is the snow ratios. We'll see how much warm air gets in here at the mid levels, that could knock it down some.

That would be something if that verifies. One thing we have to watch is the snow ratios. We'll see how much warm air gets in here at the mid levels, that could knock it down some.

I think if your anywhere north of Rockland county you shouldn't concern yourself with mixing.. Maybe an hour or two at the tail end but the surface temps will be so low I think the line will stay south of orange most the storm

NWS Albany have just put up winter storm warnings calling for 6-10" Dutchess Co

Was just typing that!  Personally I think we'll end up towards the lower end of that in POU, but that's just my jaded opinion as in almost every storm we end of falling short of predictions here (at least for the past 2.5 winters).

Was just typing that!  Personally I think we'll end up towards the lower end of that in POU, but that's just my jaded opinion as in almost every storm we end of falling short of predictions here (at least for the past 2.5 winters).

Yeah, why is that? Sick and tired of getting the short end ALWAYS! Is there like a snow curse over Poughkeepsie? Watch we only get 4 inches followed by a sleet fest for 10 hours.

Still no warning for Orange County

CTZ005-006-NJZ002-103-NYZ067>070-140545-

/O.UPG.KOKX.WS.A.0004.131214T1100Z-131215T1100Z/

/O.NEW.KOKX.WS.W.0005.131214T1100Z-131215T1100Z/

NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-WESTERN PASSAIC-

WESTERN BERGEN-ORANGE-PUTNAM-ROCKLAND-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-

437 PM EST FRI DEC 13 2013

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM SATURDAY TO 6 AM EST

SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM SATURDAY

TO 6 AM EST SUNDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

LOCATIONS...INTERIOR PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...THE

LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND INTERIOR SOUTHWEST CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...MIXING WITH SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN

LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES...ALONG WITH

A TENTH TO 1/4 OF AN INCH OF ICE.

CTZ005-006-NJZ002-103-NYZ067>070-140545-

/O.UPG.KOKX.WS.A.0004.131214T1100Z-131215T1100Z/

/O.NEW.KOKX.WS.W.0005.131214T1100Z-131215T1100Z/

NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-WESTERN PASSAIC-

WESTERN BERGEN-ORANGE-PUTNAM-ROCKLAND-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-

437 PM EST FRI DEC 13 2013

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM SATURDAY TO 6 AM EST

SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A WINTER

STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM SATURDAY

TO 6 AM EST SUNDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

LOCATIONS...INTERIOR PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...THE

LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND INTERIOR SOUTHWEST CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...MIXING WITH SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN

LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES...ALONG WITH

A TENTH TO 1/4 OF AN INCH OF ICE.[/quote

Lol just as posted that they issued it

Good Evening all,

Mt Holly NWS has issued a winter storm warning for my county for 6-8 inches of snow with some ice.

Point and click is 6-10 inches. NBC NY  news has me in the 8-12 zone. I am riding the NBC train :loon:

Tomorrow will interesting to watch the radar & ops in the area etc.

I assume we can bust low or high depending of when the warm push gets back to this area and when & if we switch over.

I am counting on the following late tomorrow in bold from the Mt Holly NWS discussion

THE NAM AND GFS INDICATE STRONGEST UVV DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON
THROUGH EVENING PERIOD AND THIS IS WHEN THE HEAVIEST PRECIP RATES
ARE EXPECTED TO OCCUR. MODELS ALSO INDICATE A WARM LAYER...IE ABOVE
FREEZING...ABOVE THE SFC PUSHING QUICKLY NWD DURING THE EVENING AND
OVERNIGHT. WITH COLD AIR EXPECTED TO HOLD AT THE SFC DUE TO
AFORE-MENTIONED CANADIAN HIGH PRES...SNOW SHOULD CHANGE OVER TO
FREEZING RAIN FOR MOST AREAS BY AROUND 06Z...EXCEPT PERHAPS THE
POCONOS AND FAR NW NJ. SIGNIFICANT ICING...A QUARTER INCH OR MORE...
IS POSSIBLE FOR SOME AREAS IN THE WINTER STORM WARNING. ALSO...THERE
IS A POTENTIAL FOR FRONTO-GENESIS AND PRECIP BANDING DURING THE
EVENING AND HENCE SOME LOCALLY HIGHER SNOWFALL AMOUNTS

Why so?

Extemely low elevation, proximity to the Hudson & maybe even possible shadowing from both the Taconics to your east and the Catskills to your west..

Same reason why areas like Monroe, Harriman jackpot soo often.. They sit on the east face of the Hudson Highlands with decent elevation and cash in on terrain enhancement. You can see it on Uptons snowfall map.. That area without a doubt is the snow belt of Uptons CWA

Archived