• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Farmers Almanac

Momza

Let's see what happens. I have lots of experience with the Farmers Almanac and the accuracy it has is okay, but not amazing. It's like looking at the ECMWF/GFS at Days 10-15. 

But I feel like based on climatology most people could take a stab in the dark and be pretty accurate. If I say the day of the superbowl will be partly cloudy with highs between 35 and 45 I have a pretty decent chance of being right based on absolutely nothing but taking the average of the past 30 super bowl sundays in our area.

But I feel like based on climatology most people could take a stab in the dark and be pretty accurate. If I say the day of the superbowl will be partly cloudy with highs between 35 and 45 I have a pretty decent chance of being right based on absolutely nothing but taking the average of the past 30 super bowl sundays in our area.

It doesn't hurt that a large percentage of the KU storms are around that time, after the January thaw and before the late February warmup.

As long as we stay in a Nina phase I would call it a crapshoot for our area. The Gulf of Alaska is warmer than years past so that seems like a good development. Overall, it looks more exciting now for New England than here (surprise, surprise). But it's only Labor Day.

I agree about the warm Gulf of Alaska, but I'd like to see some cooling south of the Aleutians to promote more of an Aleutian low and +PDO pattern. That allows for a +PNA as well as EPO ridging over Alaska to bring the cold onto the North American side.

We look to be headed towards a weak Nina or cold neutral ENSO state which can really go either way in our area...we have some blockbusters in that state like 66-67 and 95-96 as well as some dead ratters like 11-12. A lot depends on the NAO, which is nearly impossible to predict this far out.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, so if it's a torch, both books will have some serious explaining to do. I've gotten the Old farmer's almanac since the early 2000s, and while from this range I think it's generally guesswork, they have had a surprising number of hits in terms of the winter forecast (most namely, 2002-03, 2001-02 hit the warm winter, 2003-04, 2007-08, and 2009 through 2011).

Yep, so if it's a torch, both books will have some serious explaining to do. I've gotten the Old farmer's almanac since the early 2000s, and while from this range I think it's generally guesswork, they have had a surprising number of hits in terms of the winter forecast (most namely, 2002-03, 2001-02 hit the warm winter, 2003-04, 2007-08, and 2009 through 2011).

I have almanacs going back to 1966-67...I might have to get rid of them when I move...I know they nailed the early 70's snow wise...the one thing they did get right in 1995-96 was 'precipitation above average along the coast'...with that in mind why did they go with less snow than average?...

I have almanacs going back to 1966-67...I might have to get rid of them when I move...I know they nailed the early 70's snow wise...the one thing they did get right in 1995-96 was 'precipitation above average along the coast'...with that in mind why did they go with less snow than average?...

Missed the blocking?

Archived