• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Why does everyone say DC has bad summers?

Subtropics

I wish it was 95 right now

The unrelenting pain and suffering will continue. I fully expect back door fronts and maritime fog and drizzle until a 600dm se ridge sets up and keeps us under a super stable dome of fire temp air for 3 months before region 3.4 goes -3.2 in October.

Good f'n times they will be.

IMO : Summers suck almost everywhere east of the western high plans . 

1- humidity

2- bugs

3- warm muggy nights

4- rain messing up outdoor plans

5- humid even with drought conditions

6- AC running for 3 months straight

Top six climate reasons I am working so hard to move away from here to where all 6 of those things rarely happen 

1- humidity - good for your skins after dry dry winters

2- bugs - good for your garden

3- warm muggy nights - good for beer drinking

4- rain messing up outdoor plans - bring and umbrella or run naked

5- humid even with drought conditions - good for beer drinking without having to mow the lawn

6- AC running for 3 months straight - agreed, this one sucks.

I don't really understand. It doesn't even get that hot around here. A day or two a year with heat indices around 110 is really not that bad.

Doesn't pretty much any major city in the south east of the Mississippi away from the ocean have a worse summer than us? 

Heck even drier areas such as Texas still have it worse than us. Ya they are dry but when it is 115 degrees I don't care how dry it is.

Is 95/70 really some of the worse summer weather in the US?

I recall seeing a stat that DC had the highest avg. heat index temps in the country the past 2 summers. In other words we were "hotter" than anywhere else in the country.

Nice optimistic ways to look at "most" of those.  Of course I can just buy skin lotion and can drink a beer everyday :D celebrating I don't have to put up with the rest of the things on the list.  

1- humidity - good for your skins after dry dry winters
2- bugs - good for your garden
3- warm muggy nights - good for beer drinking
4- rain messing up outdoor plans - bring and umbrella or run naked
5- humid even with drought conditions - good for beer drinking without having to mow the lawn
6- AC running for 3 months straight - agreed, this one sucks.

Ive been to the southwest in the summer s couple times. Its pretty darn hot during the day. 110 dry heat is slill freekin hot. But there is relief every night. You can feel it the second the sun drops. Evap cooling from sweat is magic even as the evening temps are still in the 90s.

We don't get that relief here. 85 and soup on the patio after the sun goes down is still a dripping sweatfest.

Garrett county is a different world. Many locals don't have ac and those that do don't have to run it 24/7.

My favorite thing around here during our bad stretches is that you start sweating if you think about going outside.  Sort of a pre-sweat.

So what is the good weather season around here for DC folks?

Winters and summers not making most on this board too happy....

no doubt a few lovely days in the spring and fall make all the miserable months worth it :P

September/October.

Summers here do suck.  I compare them to summers in Denver, CO and in NE Iowa.  Like Bob said, there was relief at night.  I could bike around Denver all day in 90 degree heat and never feel a drop of sweat on my skin.  It was glorious.

I sometimes wonder how you lowlanders deal with the heat.  Of course, some of it has to do with what you are used to.  When I lived in Manassas, or when I went to undergrad at N.C. State, or law school at Univ. of Arkansas, I dealt with crazy heat and lived with it just fine.  Now when I visit my family in Manassas in the summer I almost die.  Avg. July high here is 78, so I'm freaking out when I feel mid-80s.

September/October.

Summers here do suck.  I compare them to summers in Denver, CO and in NE Iowa.  Like Bob said, there was relief at night.  I could bike around Denver all day in 90 degree heat and never feel a drop of sweat on my skin.  It was glorious.

As you probably already know when your in the fabulous summers out west and you "never feel a drop of sweat on your skin" you are still sweating and need to hydrate just the same. 

I'd take a 90 degree day out west every time compared to the typical humid 80 degree day around here.

60's and 70's here at night compared to 40's and 50's out there on summer nights, love a light jacket on a summer morning...

As you probably already know when your in the fabulous summers out west and you "never feel a drop of sweat on your skin" you are still sweating and need to hydrate just the same. 

I'd take a 90 degree day out west every time compared to the typical humid 80 degree day around here.

60's and 70's here at night compared to 40's and 50's out there on summer nights, love a light jacket on a summer morning...

Well aware.  Many an evening after being out and about I found myself really thirsty.  You lose the physical/visual cue of sweat pouring off you that makes you realize you need to drink something.  Some of the first advice when I moved out there was to drink alot of water as you can dehydrate without knowing it.

I don't really understand. It doesn't even get that hot around here. A day or two a year with heat indices around 110 is really not that bad.

Doesn't pretty much any major city in the south east of the Mississippi away from the ocean have a worse summer than us?

Heck even drier areas such as Texas still have it worse than us. Ya they are dry but when it is 115 degrees I don't care how dry it is.

Is 95/70 really some of the worse summer weather in the US?

Yeah, maybe 110 heat indices are rare, but 100-110 are pretty routine and I consider that very hot. Yeah, sure, Texas and Arizona have it worse than us. That's like saying Chicago's winters aren't that bad because Minnesota has it worse.

Archived