• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

Its still not like the GFS...but its a lot better...the precip rates are not great except right along the E MA coast for a couple 6 hour intervals...but its very cold...the interior would accumulate well no matter what...esp the hills...it drops ORH below freezing Wednesday evening and doesn't make it back above freezing until Saturday...maybe barely Fri afternoon. Valleys might have a bit of trouble during Thu afternoon.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We cave, we celebrate, we rejoice.

E MA in the bullseye on Euro, GFS, SREF now. Just need to hope and pray it holds for another 48 hours.

I'm amazed there isn't even at least a hazardous weather outlook for the region.

If it's cold enough, this is tree limb ripping paste.

We cave, we celebrate, we rejoice.

E MA in the bullseye on Euro, GFS, SREF now. Just need to hope and pray it holds for another 48 hours.

I'm amazed there isn't even at least a hazardous weather outlook for the region.

If it's cold enough, this is tree limb ripping paste.

we really can't celebrate yet. were riding the line with dynamics on the best model. But it def put us in the game for a big snow, legitimately and not a figmant of the gfs non relaxing consistency.

we really can't celebrate yet. were riding the line with dynamics on the best model. But it def put us in the game for a big snow, legitimately and not a figmant of the gfs non relaxing consistency.

Yea, 48 hours is a long time to sort out the details that we need to maintain a hit, there's not a lot of room for error.  Having said that though, the SREFs and GFS have been really steadfast at nailing E MA and the Euro making a big move in that direction is certainly very encouraging imo.

Its still not like the GFS...but its a lot better...the precip rates are not great except right along the E MA coast for a couple 6 hour intervals...but its very cold...the interior would accumulate well no matter what...esp the hills...it drops ORH below freezing Wednesday evening and doesn't make it back above freezing until Saturday...maybe barely Fri afternoon. Valleys might have a bit of trouble during Thu afternoon.

Long duration for sure...I would be a little worried on the coastal plain despite bump in qpf...due to rates so-so...

you are probably good for 8-12 in ORH.

Long duration for sure...I would be a little worried on the coastal plain despite bump in qpf...due to rates so-so...

you are probably good for 8-12 in ORH.

Yeah as long as we get the QPF, I think ORH hills will clean up on deep layer easterly flow...should be plenty cold once several hundred feet up. Right on the coast is definitely more problematic relying on rates.

So we got 50 miles of wiggle room on the EURO to trend before worrying about a R/S line? Mmmmmm still 3 more EURO models runs to go..... still feel like this run was too good. Would have rather had it more south, though the GFS began backtracking SE so.. I just Hate getting models perfect too soon when there are So many variables which there are here being March with an Easterly flow.

Yeah as long as we get the QPF, I think ORH hills will clean up on deep layer easterly flow...should be plenty cold once several hundred feet up. Right on the coast is definitely more problematic relying on rates.

How about 700 foot hills in Tolland?   :snowman: 

So we got 50 miles of wiggle room on the EURO to trend before worrying about a R/S line? Mmmmmm still 3 more EURO models runs to go..... still feel like this run was too good. Would have rather had it more south, though the GFS began backtracking SE so.. I just Hate getting models perfect too soon when there are So many variables which there are here being March with an Easterly flow.

I think you want the Euro to keep coming NW.

I would think more than that with 2" qpf mostly snow...

Yeah verbatim on the EC its going to be more...but in practicality, its going to come down if you can get those strong precip rates...the Euro hugged the coastline with a couple impressive 6 hour totals.

So are any of the models showing rain for BOS

NAM was almost all rain, and there's a handful of the SREFs that mix in rain and some that are nearly all rain for BOS, but I think the globals are more reliable for thermal profiles in this one, and both the GFS/Euro are more snow than rain.

Here's the ptype %s for BOS and OWD (norwood) shows that probs change pretty significantly as you get away from the coast ORH shows like 90%+ of snow so it shows you the difference between the CP and the interior.]

Bos:

post-1511-0-27942800-1362465194_thumb.pn

OWD:

post-1511-0-44170600-1362465211_thumb.pn

It's more likely to be colder for most locations if this comes further NW than the Euro. The problem is lack of dynamics, not 850s. 

Archived