• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb 27th Observation Thread

dryslot

I wonder if we could flip to snow when that heavier band over the Hartford area moves through...

Yes you might...but the snow should be short lived. But if you do, that is a decent sign anyway....certainly not bad. But the fact that you don't even have magled flakes or pellets right now is a bad sign..and proof that the Euro was too cold.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes you might...but the snow should be short lived. But if you do, that is a decent sign anyway....certainly not bad. But the fact that you don't even have magled flakes or pellets right now is a bad sign..and proof that the Euro was too cold.

Brad Field says it's been all snow at his house in West Granby, CT. (he's at 880 ft)

Freezing rain, sleet mix here and things getting pretty icy. Midlevels must be absolutely torched. No flakeage whatsoever. 31.1° F. Damn.  :axe:

Massive Euro fail in progress. 

Yeah this might be the worst Euro forecast inside of 24h we will see in quite some time in a winter event....awesome that it picked a marginal event like this to completely vomit all over itself. I don't think I've seen it bust this bad (should it eventually complete its bust) thisclose in a winter event since back in 2006 during the Feb 11-12 snowstorm....back when it was obviously not as skilled as 2013.

So, does ORH get anything this run?

It looks like a couple inches...hard to infer since i dont have soundings. Just the immediate maps out now. Regardless, awful job by the Euro....its 2m temps warmed literally 5F in one run for a forecast 24h out....in a winter storm where solar insolation is not a factor.

It looks like a couple inches...hard to infer since i dont have soundings. Just the immediate maps out now. Regardless, awful job by the Euro....its 2m temps warmed literally 5F in one run for a forecast 24h out....in a winter storm where solar insolation is not a factor.

The NAM-GFS etc are all too cold 24h out. For Mtl it's at least 2-3°C almost everytime.

Still mostly sleet here... could Kevin be getting snow up at 1000 ft while i'm getting a mixed bag at 700 ft? 

Temp has been pretty steady at 32-33 degrees.

If you are getting sleet, then elevation wont play a huge part. There's a pesky warm layer near 850 trying to dynamically cool right now near you.

Yeah this might be the worst Euro forecast inside of 24h we will see in quite some time in a winter event....awesome that it picked a marginal event like this to completely vomit all over itself. I don't think I've seen it bust this bad (should it eventually complete its bust) thisclose in a winter event since back in 2006 during the Feb 11-12 snowstorm....back when it was obviously not as skilled as 2013.

I guess even the normally trusty Euro isn't perfect. Just goes to show how difficult weather forecasting can be.

Absolute paint peeling peltfest right now with the heavier echoes. A few flakes mixed in now, but they aren't your typical snow/sleet parachutes kind of flakes. They're more the soft snow flurries type with unmelted flakes at slow fall velocity. I wonder if there's actually some snow growth occurring in the low levels beneath the inversion...

I guess even the normally trusty Euro isn't perfect. Just goes to show how difficult weather forecasting can be.

Absolute paint peeling peltfest right now with the heavier echoes. A few flakes mixed in now, but they aren't your typical snow/sleet parachutes kind of flakes. They're more the soft snow flurries type with unmelted flakes at slow fall velocity. I wonder if there's actually some snow growth occurring in the low levels beneath the inversion...

Yeah this was disappointment for the Euro....I thought it was onto something since it had been locked in like the blizzard in showing this. It clearly wasn't.

The lift right now it probably fairly putrid and low level....so if the low levels are still cold enough, you probably have some weak snow growth in addition to sleet.

the flakes are massive here

Yeah this was disappointment for the Euro....I thought it was onto something since it had been locked in like the blizzard in showing this. It clearly wasn't.

The lift right now it probably fairly putrid and low level....so if the low levels are still cold enough, you probably have some weak snow growth in addition to sleet.

Archived