12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
1/24 to 1/26 threat...

NaoPos

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i didnt think that bias would come into play, as the shortwave doesn't come out of the SW US?

the "SW bias" is more of a "slow, strong bias" -- Euro can be slower than the GFS in a fast-moving pattern and overamplifies storm systems.  Remember the clipper for tomorrow was modeled 5-6 days out by the Euro to be a sub 1004 mb low coming through Upstate New York.

the "SW bias" is more of a "slow, strong bias" -- Euro can be slower than the GFS in a fast-moving pattern and overamplifies storm systems.  Remember the clipper for tomorrow was modeled 5-6 days out by the Euro to be a sub 1004 mb low coming through Upstate New York.

gotya.

either way, some pretty ugly runs since the 0z suites....

the lack of a stronger block to keep the PV south hurts here.

im leaning 60-40 towards a minimal impact event for extreme se pa...

it may have the right idea, but its a lot slower than the gfs and its 0z run. That may be a little alarming.

the euro looks like a thump then slot to me. The precip is only .25-.5... still looks like 2-4 for lehigh valley, 1-3 nw burbs...phl area prob gets some frozen

:facepalm:   Welcome to my nightmare. :yikes:

Well in reality and trying to be objective about it all both the NAO and PNA are verifying "more positive" which makes the Pacific contribution with this event more amplified.  We all know that index numbers can be misleading (how can it get this cold with a positive NAO) so it looks like its going to come down to how helpful is that midweek short wave going to be and how long will the PV linger. Over the last four GFS runs it has trended slightly farther to the west with that.

According to Wundermap Euro is mostly snow near phl 2-4". By the time 850s warm above zero most of precip is over.

i wouldn't trust those maps at all. Its been proven a good amount of times how bad they are. It does have that look to it. I wish i could see those in between hours. The mid levels are going to warm up faster than what the model shows, we all know that.

HA...well I always point out that 1/3/99 event to people when they bring that one up, I think the 850s were -25C at 6am with lows in the single digits and it was 34 and raining by midnight...this storm won't be quite as amplified as that was but it seems that can remarkably happen.

Yeah sadly, if the storm comes in with nothing to lock in the cold, it'll be bye bye... I have vague memories of a number of such events but thanks for crystalizing that one, I remember driving home on icy roads late that night and awakening to a driving, mild downpour the next day.

HA...well I always point out that 1/3/99 event to people when they bring that one up, I think the 850s were -25C at 6am with lows in the single digits and it was 34 and raining by midnight...this storm won't be quite as amplified as that was but it seems that can remarkably happen.

Yup it did go from 12 the morning of the 2nd to 56 on the 3rd, temps just kept on rising. Pretty much what Ray posted, if the confluence flow doesnt remain in southwest Quebec and the ageo flow is not northeast, its done.

We appear to be losing this threat moreso with each subsequent run. Now that I've posted, I expect the positive trends to begin. I don't care how cold it is, a low (and 850 low) to our N and W is a killer, period.

you can still get a thump of snow, but eventually its going to switch over or warm up with the southerly winds.

I dont think the low matches up well with the 500mb track...cold bias? Should probably be farther north, just my personal opinion 

Nah I think it's fine. Between the low level cold and upper jet positioning, you'll see the vorticity get reconfigured as the long wave amplifies. I can argue for either solution (north track vs. south) at this point but I'm leaning colder / south at the moment (semi-progressive flow under strong PV).

Archived