• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/24 to 1/26 threat...

NaoPos

still a ton of spread in the gefs obviously. If you were to take the mean its plenty cold enough for all snow/frozen, though one could argue the ens mean is usually always colder. I wonder if in future runs we see less trending from the northern stream and more energy in the southern storm? Basically, take the northern stream storm run that towards us but weakening as it comes east. Then the diving south of that northern branch links up with that southern stream energy, and that 2nd low is the real main player.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good call on the reinforcing clipper,  not as strong on 12z.  

still a ton of spread in the gefs obviously. If you were to take the mean its plenty cold enough for all snow/frozen, though one could argue the ens mean is usually always colder. I wonder if in future runs we see less trending from the northern stream and more energy in the southern storm? Basically, take the northern stream storm run that towards us but weakening as it comes east. Then the diving south of that northern branch links up with that southern stream energy, and that 2nd low is the real main player.

I think the clustering of the individual members one northwest, other suppressed and southeast make the ensemble average look "good". Separating the clusters into two camps the average track of both are not that great. Six, seven days away so really nothing is off the table anyway.  We were just having a discussion that a super operational model blend approach may do us more accuracy than these poorer resolution ensemble members.   A couple of points you have already made, the pv has to linger. The faster the system comes in, the better.  Have to watch the ridging out west as much as the pv retreating.  The ensemble trend with the nao is for it to remain about where it is, but the pna to become more positive.  So there is a combination in there, you want the pv to retreat somewhat and the ridge to get pumped to increase the wavelength, but not to the point where it can go into the lakes and you don't want a pv to be so strong and belligerent and the ridging muted so that it whips the low through the carolinas and make DT happy. ;) Like you said, there have not been too many cases where cold air will be in place at the start, so it might all fall apart like a house of cards, but its the best chance we have had this met winter so far....  .   

the euro is looking pretty different than 0z. It has the northern stream storm a lot weaker and is putting more emphasis on the southern stream so far. Completely different than the 12z gfs. The hgt lines are also further south on the euro with more influnce from the pv. Though im not sure if in later runs the backside northern energy teams up with the southern stream and creates a big storm that cuts or what...

EURO seems to bring down some stronger confluence/cold air...There is no 2nd storm developing on the front on the EURO, but that's fine though.

That's because it dampens out the northern stream energy. The gfs was 2 systems it had the northern stream which is what went way west, then the trailor was the southern stream. The euro dampens out the northern stream due to the confluence and then focuses on the southern stream

The Euro has tended to have a man crush on cutters ever since the upgrade...its usually a very good sign when it loses them in the Day 4-6 range and its been generally suppressing this now the last 48 hours...the way this winter has gone I wouldn't bet on it but I'd feel better it isnt up near the GEM and NOGAPS.

Euro is cold leading into storm. Has the reinforcing clipper.

You might have to retract my good call.  ;)    This may be the key to how its going to transpire.  Have to follow that short wave, looks like it spins westward from the pv and its between Greenland and Canada at initialization time.

This Euro run basically is in the southern clustering of the gefs members.

Archived