• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Impressive upper level winds over the Northeast this morning

OKpowdah

Pretty impressive reports. I just wanted to start a new thread so it wouldn't be entirely buried.

00z 1/2

CHH had a peak wind of 214kt at 226mb

OKX had a peak wind of 211kt at 216mb

12z 1/2

CHH had a peak wind of 200kt at 249mb

OKX had a peak wind of 214kt at 222mb

So both Chatham and Upton actually had two consecutive 12hr soundings with a peak wind of 200kt+ ... and Upton in particular had two consecutive 210kt. Chatham had two consecutive 200kt+ at specifically at 250mb.

And it's quite likely at least Upton does it again at 00z tonight.

At least somewhat of a unique event per season

post-128-0-64899700-1357170765_thumb.gif

post-128-0-96121600-1357170757_thumb.gif

post-128-0-47512700-1357170775_thumb.gif

Big temp gradient, big winds. Must have been a quick flight to the northeast once you got east of the MS river. Opposite is true heading west.

Throughout the entire troposphere.

Looks like an impressive upper level front around 300mb at Upton with a temp gradient around 6C/100km averaged over a 1km layer

That's a good ob though. Nice pick up. 200kts is dam good around here.

I don't know jet streak climo here off the top of my head, but when I see a 4 flagged wind barb, I gotta think that's pretty significant lol.

I actually first noticed it on satellite. Unmistakable signature, so I checked out the obs from this morning. Pretty cool

I don't know jet streak climo here off the top of my head, but when I see a 4 flagged wind barb, I gotta think that's pretty significant lol.

I actually first noticed it on satellite. Unmistakable signature, so I checked out the obs from this morning. Pretty cool

They have those a lot down in eastern Asia...like off the coast of Japan and then into the western Pacific. Seeing this here is super impressive.

They have those a lot down in eastern Asia...like off the coast of Japan and then into the western Pacific. Seeing this here is super impressive.

It's funny I've been noticing them on the BUFKIT soundings. The freaking vectors go from one side of the window to the other. 

Yeah, I know that's common for the jet from E Asia into the W Pac. I'm just not familiar with record high jet winds by region around the world. I think those would be cool statistics to see ... like a map of record jet wind, and frequency of 200kt+ winds.

Yeah, I know that's common for the jet from E Asia into the W Pac. I'm just not familiar with record high jet winds by region around the world. I think those would be cool statistics to see ... like a map of record jet wind, and frequency of 200kt+ winds.

Strongest winds I've ever seen are in that area. I just know from mapping out turbulence in that region. Makes sense when you think about it. SAMR can get crazy jets too during our summer. Australia as well.

Archived