Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Atlantic Tropical Action 2013

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS has been really consistent over the past few days, not sure what the nam is on taking it up thru ga?  Still think the eastern halves of sc/nc up th ec will see some good rainfall.  ground has been saturated here in chas and more rainfall will mean some big flooding concerns.

Lowest pressures are displaced well W almost due S of the mouth of the Mississippi River

Plane is now near semblance of a low level center well West of convection.  Center used loosely.  There is West to East cloud motion South of 'center', but it looks badly disorganized.  My prediction: no upgrade.

post-138-0-40061500-1370456692_thumb.jpg

Ryan maue posted the ncep wrf 00z run and it really tightens up 91l prior to landfall around panama city, probably ts andrea at landfall.    

00z WRF ARW - http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/hrw-arw/00/hrw-arw_eus_042_sim_radar.gif

12z WRF ARW - http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/hrw-arw/12/hrw-arw_eus_030_sim_radar.gif

The 12z NMM and ARW wrf runs are less bullish. I wouldn't put too much stock in the higher resolution guidance since much of the system is actually not contained within the inner nested domain, making it prone to downscaling errors with meteorological fields advecting in from some lower resolution analysis outside of the 4-km domain. 

The HRRR is loltastic right now with it initializing it as a moderately well organized tropical storm. 

http://i43.tinypic.com/2u3w9s6.png

Gotta love the HRRR's interpretations of tropical systems.

I'm personally hoping this system doesn't cause too much flooding and/or tornadoes in the Tampa Bay area... my sister's baby is due June 19th and she certainly doesn't need any remotely additional stress.

Not too shabby for June. 

I think that the new LLC will consolidate much closer to the convection within the next 24 hours. Already a decent signature. 

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_52 Jun. 05 15.34.png

attachicon.giffloater1_VIS_Sat-75471.gif

I think recon and satellite are already showing evidence of a new llc developing much closer to the convection (25N 86W)

2q8oljk.jpg

47kt flight level (970mb) with 40kt on SFMR

And a large swath of 35 knot + SFMR obs with relatively little rain contamination (between 8-14 mm). I think recon will like to get another pass to make sure the circulation is completely closed off, but we very well might have Andrea on our hands. Maybe the HRRR wasn't so far off after all ;)

And a large swath of 35 knot + SFMR obs with relatively little rain contamination (between 8-14 mm). I think recon will like to get another pass to make sure the circulation is completely closed off, but we very well might have Andrea on our hands. Maybe the HRRR wasn't so far off after all ;)

Recon did indeed just turn back towards where the circulation center would be, heading West along 26N right now. 

Hey, Josh! lookie here, I found a a TRIP OF A LIFE-TIME!......

The "Frying Pan Tower" is off the Cape Fear Coast... about some 45 miles..

This is just right up your ally..

HURRICANE TRIP: We will make this amazing trip very simple and straight forward. When a category 1 to 5 hurricane is coming by the Frying Pan Tower we will bring out adventurers who will be carried out and back by helicopter well in advance and after to live the life changing experience. It is a flat rate of $995 per person and may be a day or a week trip with limited communication and possible rationing of food stuffs required.

If you are interested in this unique and possibly life threatening experience be aware that a liability release will be required and you may or may not survive the experience.

All participants are required to make a full payment in advance may be 100% refunded if not used by 12/31/2013.

Please let us know if you have any questions...

If you need "info" I'll get it for ya...

CT

Ha ha ha, that's kinda awesome! I wonder if it's real. :D

That tower got a really good wind measurement as Hurricane Gloria brushed the Outer Banks in 1985, by the way. (Random trivia for ya.)

EDIT: This is wrong. I was thinking of Diamond Shoal Light.

I think recon and satellite are already showing evidence of a new llc developing much closer to the convection (25N 86W)

Yes, a center relocation is starting to become clear now, isn't it?  It wasn't just in the HRRR either, the new ESRL RAPv2 clearly has the LLC much closer to the convection.  But good to see some in-situ data confirming it. 

Ha ha ha, that's kinda awesome! I wonder if it's real. :D

That tower got a really good wind measurement as Hurricane Gloria brushed the Outer Banks in 1985, by the way. (Random trivia for ya.)

Stopping by for your own personal agenda without even noticing the rest of the conversation?  :P  (I know, it's loose as a goose for a tight core snob). 

Yes, a center relocation is starting to become clear now, isn't it?  It wasn't just in the HRRR either, the new ESRL RAPv2 clearly has the LLC much closer to the convection.  But good to see some in-situ data confirming it. 

Yes it is nice! It certainly seems like the big burst of convection overnight was able to create a few more mesovorticies, and it now appears the dominant vortex is becoming more established on the eastward side of the broad llc. 

Whatever happened to the good ol' days, when the season started with an Anita, Allen, or Andrew?

Kinda gettin' tired of these crappycrap A storms.

Just sayin'.

How about you look at what dates those A named storms started ;) Your not going to find too many June majors!

I know. My point is that it seems these days like we're already on P by the time we really get into the meat of the season.

It certainly seems that way. In terms of sheer numbers, the last three seasons combined represent the second most active three year period in Atlantic history (behind 2003-2004-2005... which was strongly influenced by the record named storms in 2005).  

Archived