UPSTREAM...AMPLE MID-UPPER LEVEL TROUGH ENERGY DIGS FROM THE WEST

COAST CHRISTMAS EVE TO THE S-CENTRAL ROCKIES/PLAINS BY CHRISTMAS

WITH SURFACE LOW DEVELOPMENT AND PCPN UNDERNEATH AND OVER SWD

SURGED PLAINS HIGH PRESSURE. THIS SYSTEM REALLY IS EXPECTED TO

DEEPEN MID-LATE WEEK OVER THE E-CENTRAL THE ERN US INTO A MAJOR

WINTER STORM WITH AN EXPANDING HEAVIER PCPN SHIELD. THERE IS

AMPLE ROOM FOR COLD AIR TO SETTLE TO THE NORTH OF THE LOW AND

DAMMED DOWN THROUGH THE MID-ATLANTIC

Looks like a double barrel/dumbel like lows with redevelopment of a decent storm track over the northeast on day 8. Pattern looks good on GFS 12Z for end of week.

The block signature is picked up, with a 1027 high to the north.

Things that can go wrong: Anything less than 1027 and the spine runner or more west track is a problem. I would even think suppressed is on the table.

But looking decent now.

Ill take it..

me too...I love the lollypop in the adirondaks. new snowmobile coming for Junior on Tuesday. Rain to start in the city verbatim, but not an important detail yet.

it has the right look on the GFS, i.e. nothing looks synoptically impossible or far fetched. but its too far out to get overly amped. Many model runs to either drool over or puke on. We await the Euro

Storms usually go east or west of the mountains especially in this case where we have a secondary redevelopment, I highly doubt it would hug the coast like the newest gfs suggests but another run another solution, at least the storm is on the table and that's all that matters.

The Christmas dusting looks pretty legit as well, up to an inch of snow for some wouldn't surprise me for Christmas morning.

Classic setup on the 12z GFS. Where is everyone? Guess we gotta get the euro on board

The key on Euro will b where the xmas system corsses - The GFS keeps it south , drapes the trof to the coast - where Euro this AM keep the system just to the west pf us - if xmas system comes sout on Euro - then this prob gets progged further east on euro

Classic setup on the 12z GFS. Where is everyone? Guess we gotta get the euro on board

Because the models show very little snow south and east of NYC most people on here aren't following it too closely. West Milford could get 30" and NYC could get all rain and most people in this sub forum would consider it a non-event. That's just how they are. We need more support from those of use that live on the western side of this sub-forum.

Storms usually go east or west of the mountains especially in this case where we have a secondary redevelopment, I highly doubt it would hug the coast like the newest gfs suggests but another run another solution, at least the storm is on the table and that's all that matters.

The Christmas dusting looks pretty legit as well, up to an inch of snow for some wouldn't surprise me for Christmas morning.

the 28th system looks like it could be too west with the position of the low. And the surface vs. the upper atmosphere looks out of whack, but that could be the signal of 2 lows coalescing. But those are mere details. Still looks like a classic set up.

The question is, are most of the members centered around that mean or is there still a lot of spread. Ensemble means don't matter much if the individual members are still well spread out.

Because the models show very little snow south and east of NYC most people on here aren't following it too closely. West Milford could get 30" and NYC could get all rain and most people in this sub forum would consider it a non-event. That's just how they are. We need more support from those of use that live on the western side of this sub-forum.

99% of us who live NW of the Tappan Zee post in the Hudson Valley sub forum. Even though we live in Uptons CWA we still feel like outsiders here in this sub forum.

99% of us who live NW of the Tappan Zee post in the Hudson Valley sub forum. Even though we live in Uptons CWA we still feel like outsiders here in this sub forum.

Yeah and that shouldn't be the case. I actually live in the Mt. Holly CWA but I can be in NYC in 25 minutes so does that mean I should post in the Philly forum? Anyway lets not derail this thread, the storm signal remains and nothing is off the table right now.

Yeah and that shouldn't be the case. I actually live in the Mt. Holly CWA but I can be in NYC in 25 minutes so does that mean I should post in the Philly forum? Anyway lets not derail this thread, the storm signal remains and nothing is off the table right now.

I live within 15 mins of 3 other CWAs (Mt Holly, BGM, ALB) so I guess I'm free to wonder throughout lol..

So far the GFS/GGEM are pretty much lined up at the surface @ 168. Now how they get to that point is a different story. Plenty of time left and I'm sure things will change

The two main features I'd watch for on the guidance over the next few days would be the cold air/vortex/50/50 underneath the block, and the Christmas day shortwave/vorticity. The GFS and models that show the colder solutions have lower heights trapped to the south/southeast of the Central Canada block. This is very important as it keeps a confluent flow to the north of the storm system with a half decent cold air supply. The shortwave a few days earlier is also essential to the set up, as it helps drag the baroclinic zone south a bit. It's no surprise that the Canadian, which is strongest with that shortwave and drags the baroclinic zone south, has the storm redeveloping to our south as well a few days later.

But the block to the north is a different story...the models are really starting to go balls to the wall with it and it's going to change the complexion of not only this setup but the pattern beyond it. We can hope that the GFS has the correct idea (not a layup, either, it's had some bad busts the last few weeks) with the idea of the cold air/near 50/50 low forming.

Hr 138 gulf low in se states

Hr 144 near atlanta 12z euro

Yup, and if you look at the mid level height field, it has no real reason to transfer off the coast. It will eventually kick east and reform maybe over Philly...but without the confluent flow to the north like the GGEM and GFS show...it's never going offshore.

Yup, and if you look at the mid level height field, it has no real reason to transfer off the coast. It will eventually kick east and reform maybe over Philly...but without the confluent flow to the north like the GGEM and GFS show...it's never going offshore.

Good thing its 150 hrs out. Hopefully it changes for the better. Granted its the biggest snowstorm for Ohio valley since march 08.

The xmas vort being so amped up to our west pumps heights into the block and we loose our 50/50 help..The euro has no support with that at the moment. Every model has that wave slipping under the confluence

Archived