• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Friday morning strong winds, heavy rain discussion/observations

tmagan

I have been harping on Friday's rain event for some time now, with great forcing and dynamics, should be interesting to watch. Who knows, may be the most interesting event in December along with the pea-size hail reports across the area Tuesday. This reminds me of January 19th, 1996, albeit in a weaker version, which wiped out all of the snow from the Blizzard of 1996.

NAM KLGA BUFKIT forecast sounding for 12Z December 21st.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^^^

Great idea to start a thread for this potential. The models are suggesting strong a wind gust threat

ahead of and with a low topped squall line that is forecast to move through the area early Friday

morning.

The NAM is actually showing 40kt winds at the surface south of LI which has translated

to gusts in the 50 to 60 mph range in the past. There should be strong WAA at the surface

coupled with steeper mid level lapse rates than we usually see with these set ups.

Steeper mid level lapse rates showing up

The strong secondary low developing over NE PA near the jet exit region is another indication

of the strength of this system.

It's going to be really interesting to see if some of these winds just off the deck can mix down near the coast. Some of those profiles are roaring down to 925mb especially.

Not needed or wanted :mellow: but it is intriguing nonetheless. Will be interesting to see what mixes down to the surface.

It's going to be really interesting to see if some of these winds just off the deck can mix down near the coast. Some of those profiles are roaring down to 925mb especially.

What would be sick is if they put a weather station on top of the spire (when its finished) of one world trade!! Imagine the observations at 1776 feet!

The 15z Fri GFS forecast sounding has 60kt all the way down to 975mb and 44kt at the surface as the

LLJ is increasing out toward Eastern Long Island.

KMTP slice at 15z

I see little or no inversions on the soundings at 12z tomorrow. 50-70kt winds at 950mb on both the NAM and GFS. I think NYC and coastal sections could see high wind warning criteria.

The GFS winds at 950mb:

2i1cpsp.jpg

12z NAM 950mb winds:

15qw22e.jpg

That is just bad for our region right now. This is probably something most in this area would be happy to do without. Mother Nature doesn't care about us however and this will provide us with some interesting observations.

I see little or no inversions on the soundings at 12z tomorrow. 50-70kt winds at 950mb on both the NAM and GFS. I think NYC and coastal sections could see high wind warning criteria.

The GFS winds at 950mb:

12z NAM 950mb winds:

There isn't an inversion, but it is stable. To get good mixing down to the surface you need temperatures to decrease at the dry adiabatic lapse rate from the surface up to the strong winds. We won't have that tomorrow. We DID have that with Sandy, which is why those strong winds made it during the evening.

I can see gusts to 50, maybe 55 mph at the coast... I'm skeptical of anything higher. We'll have to watch radar trends, sometimes squalls can bring them down; sometimes not.

post-39-0-83212500-1356035342_thumb.gif

post-39-0-07155800-1356035347_thumb.gif

That was strange - Upton had "severe thunderstorm" wording in their forecast just a few minutes ago out of nowhere and literally just now removed it... their discussion though still highlights the strong wind potential with gusts up to 60 knots along with a new wind advisory.

WINDS WILL BE ON THE INCREASE TONIGHT...WITH THE STRONGEST WINDS

EXPECTED ALSO DURING THE EARLY FRIDAY MORNING HOURS. THE LATEST

MODEL RUNS BRING A VERY STRONG LLJ THROUGH BETWEEN 09Z AND

15Z...WITH WINDS AROUND 65-75 KTS. IN ADDITION...THE HEAVY RAIN

COULD BRING DOWN THE HIGHER WINDS. OCCASIONAL HIGHER GUSTS UP TO

60 KTS MAY BE POSSIBLE WITH THE HEAVIER RAIN BANDS. HAVE ISSUED A

WIND ADVISORY FOR COASTAL AREAS OF NY...NJ AND CT WHERE THE

STRONGEST WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO PERSIST DURING THIS TIME PERIOD.

We seem to do better mixing down stronger winds from aloft here when the low topped squall

line coincides with a jet exit region near the area like the forecast for tomorrow.

One example of this was the early morning squall line with damaging winds back on 3-5-08.

Archived