• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weather's A Comin! Let's Wake Up this Forum!

snowgeek

Come on Upstate NY posters. Wake up. This forum needs to come alive. Rick's coming back from Europe and if we don't start posting he and others will end up in the New England Forum all of the time lol.

We have model mayhem!!! Too many waves cruising the Pacific highway. Is the NAM the only model that has a handle on the CAD signature? Will any areas hold onto snow during Sundays' front end thump? The model spread for Tuesday is huge. I'll take the 0Z Euro's rain to snow. GFS has been insisting on a good dose of rain after some light snow on Sunday. GFS says where's the cold air. Let's hope that sneaky Quebec high can overperform.

Euro FTW!

post-1592-0-26600000-1355492873_thumb.gi

Looks like a good potential multiday event for SYR with a very moist airmass and 850 mb temperatures below -10C. The near stationary positioning of the surface is low is a good sign. We'll see if the EC shows a similar potential.

Good for those affected by NW flow which is great for the ski resorts to my south so I can board and ski! But not so good for my location need WSW/SW wind!

Well there can always be some kind of transient Lake Huron connection to but yeah, those tend to persist further south around the Chautauqua ridge.

I am not complaining though because Holiday Valley opens up this week and they deseperately need snow. I was at a cottage down there at 2000 feet with no snow in December. I go boarding/skiing every Sunday so that will be great news to see them finally get some fresh powder!

Come on Upstate NY posters. Wake up. This forum needs to come alive. Rick's coming back from Europe and if we don't start posting he and others will end up in the New England Forum all of the time lol.

We have model mayhem!!! Too many waves cruising the Pacific highway. Is the NAM the only model that has a handle on the CAD signature? Will any areas hold onto snow during Sundays' front end thump? The model spread for Tuesday is huge. I'll take the 0Z Euro's rain to snow. GFS has been insisting on a good dose of rain after some light snow on Sunday. GFS says where's the cold air. Let's hope that sneaky Quebec high can overperform.

Euro FTW!

Here's a wake up call for you....if it doesn't get cold and snowy soon...Binghamton NY will see its warmest and least snowiest December on record.

First wave will be a mixy crappy nothing...maybe a dusting of snow. Next "storm" that people have been hyping looks like it will go too far east or if it is

close enough for central NY...it would be an elevation storm with 850 mb temps close to 0C.

Winter? what's that? I forgot....

Here's a wake up call for you....if it doesn't get cold and snowy soon...Binghamton NY will see its warmest and least snowiest December on record.

First wave will be a mixy crappy nothing...maybe a dusting of snow. Next "storm" that people have been hyping looks like it will go too far east or if it is

close enough for central NY...it would be an elevation storm with 850 mb temps close to 0C.

Winter? what's that? I forgot....

I'm a doubting thomas when it comes to a pattern change. When I see it, I'll believe it.

It looks like Toronto (where I'm currently living) will get mainly rain from both of these systems. :axe:

Good for those affected by NW flow which is great for the ski resorts to my south so I can board and ski! But not so good for my location need WSW/SW wind!

While I agree that, in general, the pattern looks much more supportive of LES in the "traditional" snow belt well south of BUF....you can always hope for a subtle s/w to cause temporary backing of the wind to send some of those snowbands northward from time to time. Such short wave features would be impossible to detect at this point in time, and are often difficult to see more than a couple/few days in advance.

Also, it looks like the initial CAA may develop on a west/southwest flow immediately behind the arctic front on Friday if you buy into the ECMWF/GGEM solutions...so it's possible there could be some activity close to your neck of the woods before things settle south over the weekend:

post-619-0-77069600-1355541606_thumb.png

I will be returning home to BUF on Saturday 12/22 and remaining in town through Wednesday 12/26. When I was home for Thanksgiving, parts of the area experienced a 7" snowfall...the only significant snow of the season to date. Maybe I can bring the good luck with me again.

While I agree that, in general, the pattern looks much more supportive of LES in the "traditional" snow belt well south of BUF....you can always hope for a subtle s/w to cause temporary backing of the wind to send some of those snowbands northward from time to time. Such short wave features would be impossible to detect at this point in time, and are often difficult to see more than a couple/few days in advance.

Also, it looks like the initial CAA may develop on a west/southwest flow immediately behind the arctic front on Friday if you buy into the ECMWF/GGEM solutions...so it's possible there could be some activity close to your neck of the woods before things settle south over the weekend:

post-619-0-77069600-1355541606_thumb.png

I will be returning home to BUF on Saturday 12/22 and remaining in town through Wednesday 12/26. When I was home for Thanksgiving, parts of the area experienced a 7" snowfall...the only significant snow of the season to date. Maybe I can bring the good luck with me again.

00z GFS seems to have a nice SW flow at least for a little while before the low moves to our east and winds veer more wnw.

post-1351-0-04628100-1355545860_thumb.jp

While there could certainly be some lake snows in or close to the BUF area immediately behind the arctic front on Friday, last night's operational ECMWF is doing some interesting things with the developing polar vortex (PV) in the Hudson Bay region next weekend:

post-619-0-00254300-1355578456_thumb.png

Initially we start out with two closed h5 vortices at 00z next Saturday evening; one associated with the departing storm system that will likely be a major event/blizzard for the Midwest and Upper Great Lakes, and another associated with PV genesis taking place over the Hudson Bay. The latter becomes very important for places like BUF/ART because you'll notice that 24 hours later it has settled into a position near James Bay. This is a climatologically favored location for heavy LES in the BUF/ART area, and could make for a very interesting conclusion to next weekend in both cities IF it pans out this way.

No guarantees on this as it is still a long ways out and the upper air pattern over NOAM is very convoluted right now, but it is certainly an interesting development and something that should be monitored.

While there could certainly be some lake snows in or close to the BUF area immediately behind the arctic front on Friday, last night's operational ECMWF is doing some interesting things with the developing polar vortex (PV) in the Hudson Bay region next weekend:

Initially we start out with two closed h5 vortices at 00z next Saturday evening; one associated with the departing storm system that will likely be a major event/blizzard for the Midwest and Upper Great Lakes, and another associated with PV genesis taking place over the Hudson Bay. The latter becomes very important for places like BUF/ART because you'll notice that 24 hours later it has settled into a position near James Bay. This is a climatologically favored location for heavy LES in the BUF/ART area, and could make for a very interesting conclusion to next weekend in both cities IF it pans out this way.

No guarantees on this as it is still a long ways out and the upper air pattern over NOAM is very convoluted right now, but it is certainly an interesting development and something that should be monitored.

Thanks for the info Justin. Hope you bring us some more luck when your back in OP!

Yeah the last 2 runs of the GEM agree with this as well! Beautiful runs.

gemglbpr0036.gifgemglbpr0038.gif

Archived