joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The last zero degree day in NYC

uncle W

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a thaw for a few days right after that cold streak and then it turned very cold again.

My father was born in February, 1918. Many years ago, when I was a kid, my grandmother told me of when she was pregnant with my dad (in Brooklyn). She told of it being very cold and then it warmed up for a bit before everything froze up again when she was eight months pregnant. She fell on the ice then and was very worried that she'd lose her baby. Thank God she didn't (lose her baby) or else I wouldn't be here.

Anyway, I had once looked up the weather reports for that period and they backed up my grandmother's story. I love when that happens.

my uncle was born on 12/8/1917 and passed in 1999 had to be put near the oven to prevent him from turning blue...That's the story my aunts used to tell me...My mom used to tell me about the time she was pregnant with me and fell in the snow during the blizzard of Dec. 1948...she was worried also...I grew up listening to stories about the big snow of 1947...maybe that's why I like snow so much?...

my uncle was born on 12/8/1917 and passed in 1999 had to be put near the oven to prevent him from turning blue...That's the story my aunts used to tell me...My mom used to tell me about the time she was pregnant with me and fell in the snow during the blizzard of Dec. 1948...she was worried also...I grew up listening to stories about the big snow of 1947...maybe that's why I like snow so much?...

My grandma always talked about the 47 storm as the big one. She had great pictures of the snow in garden city. I always wondered about that storm. Was it a miller A or B?

My grandma always talked about the 47 storm as the big one. She had great pictures of the snow in garden city. I always wondered about that storm. Was it a miller A or B?

I think it was a miller b and snow flurries was the forecast...snow depth was 26" after the storm...

it could happen in Travis...add 5-10 degrees for Central Park...

Yes true ...it will be a pretty impressive cold spell though. Its always bothered me that official temps can be taken in a known UHI location...to me its an artificially influenced temperature...it should be taken in a natural environment...but that's just me..rant over..lol

Yes true ...it will be a pretty impressive cold spell though. Its always bothered me that official temps can be taken in a known UHI location...to me its an artificially influenced temperature...it should be taken in a natural environment...but that's just me..rant over..lol

Central Park is more natural than much of NYC and probably has lower temperatures than many other parts of the City.

There have been sixty 100° days and fifty-seven below 0° days in Central Park.

But, there have been 35 of the former and only 8 of the latter since 1950.

UHI is the easy explanation. Also the 1910's stand out for an unusual amount of subzero weather, and the 1950's for 100+ weather.

attachicon.gifabove100.jpg

From January 1, 1960 through December 31, 2014 there have been 20,075 days (not including days added for leap years)...the figure shows 23 days when the temperature reached 100 F or better.  That means the mercury eclipsed the century mark about one out of every 873 days...so it is not a very common happening...even if it is a fraction more frequent than earlier in the climate record. 

• 11 months later...

Archived