Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
11/7 Noreaster Thread

Rib

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mentioned this earlier, but i think it warrants another post...

I think the timing of the storm is bad for commuters. GFS/NAM say it gets into the metro area around I'd say 10am. It will start out as some light snow/rain mix that won't stick but QUICKLY go over to snow. The SIM radar on the NAM shows how the heavy precip is going to be coming in like a wall. So everyone will be at work before it starts to really snow & accumulate. Unlike some other winter storms I think this one comes in fast and furious. This storms snow potential hasn't been hyped on the news until a little tonight so I think a lot of people will just go to work normally. I think there will be decent accumulations even on the roads by afternoon for sure.

Sometimes the wet start makes things even slippier on the roads than just pure snow. I remember Feb 5 2001 in Philly it went from rain to snow and accumulated fast. Kids were stranded at schools & stuff. I think its safe to say Philly should be under the CCB with the best UVVs so once it starts accumulating I think it will continue until maybe some sleet towards the end.

During most winter storms there's usually a 48 hour buildup & EVERYONE knows there's going to be snow. This one was a bit more challenging with the wild model changes that I don't think everyone will be aware of it. I mentioned snow on my facebook yesterday & got laughed at by some lol.

I truly think the Evening rush hour could be brutal in Philly if the 18z trend of colder & more precip continues. Remember the weekend rule, most of our big snowstorms happened during the weekend. This is the middle of the week too, doesn't help.

Mentioned this earlier, but i think it warrants another post...

I think the timing of the storm is bad for commuters. GFS/NAM say it gets into the metro area around I'd say 10am. It will start out as some light snow/rain mix that won't stick but QUICKLY go over to snow. The SIM radar on the NAM shows how the heavy precip is going to be coming in like a wall. So everyone will be at work before it starts to really snow & accumulate. Unlike some other winter storms I think this one comes in fast and furious. This storms snow potential hasn't been hyped on the news until a little tonight so I think a lot of people will just go to work normally. I think there will be decent accumulations even on the roads by afternoon for sure.

Sometimes the wet start makes things even slippier on the roads than just pure snow. I remember Feb 5 2001 in Philly it went from rain to snow and accumulated fast. Kids were stranded at schools & stuff. I think its safe to say Philly should be under the CCB with the best UVVs so once it starts accumulating I think it will continue until maybe some sleet towards the end.

During most winter storms there's usually a 48 hour buildup & EVERYONE knows there's going to be snow. This one was a bit more challenging with the wild model changes that I don't think everyone will be aware of it. I mentioned snow on my facebook yesterday & got laughed at by some lol.

I truly think the Evening rush hour could be brutal in Philly if the 18z trend of colder & more precip continues. Remember the weekend rule, most of our big snowstorms happened during the weekend. This is the middle of the week too, doesn't help.

Dry air, its gonna be a killer.

I'm pretty sure they dont.

The past couple years I got my hopes up alot, thinking that it was moisten up quick, when it took hours upon hours and left us with just a few hours of precip.

Dry air, its gonna be a killer.

yes it eats precip up but you need the dry air. What major snowstorm didn't start off with dry air? Its vital because it helps wetbulb the temperature down. Also its shows their is a deep layer of cold air. If the precip starts right away, it shows the cold air is not dense at all.

For Philly looks like a thump for 6-8 hrs then over to sleet, thought I expect NAM to shift back NE @ 6z. It tends to do these nudges back and forth at this range. I'd expect GFS to look about the same as 18z

I'm not so sure. The NAM can be a trend setter within 24 hours, and it has the support of some of the other short range models. The 00z NAM actually appears to come so far west that it sits on the Jersey coast. NYC is toast for snow after the initial thump, and unfortunately, this would be a worse case scenario for the coastline/winds/flooding.

I'm not so sure. The NAM can be a trend setter within 24 hours, and it has the support of some of the other short range models. The 00z NAM actually appears to come so far west that it sits on the Jersey coast. NYC is toast for snow after the initial thump, and unfortunately, this would be a worse case scenario for the coastline/winds/flooding.

Yup. All of a sudden too much moisture and influx of warm air aloft brings worries to the snow weenies. Better hope the initial thump is a.....thump!

Still a great snow threat for the area. Can't complain at all.

it can, very true... the 21z sref is a good bit further east

f24.gif

Yup. All of a sudden too much moisture and influx of warm air aloft brings worries to the snow weenies. Better hope the initial thump is a.....thump!

Still a great snow threat for the area. Can't complain at all.

Yeah, IF the NAM were to verify, the waa would overwhelm the region after the initial dump. Even the LV cannot remain snow when the low is on the coast even in mid-winter, let alone early November. GFS will be telling. If it moves toward the NAM, then to me this is a trend.

Yeah, IF the NAM were to verify, the waa would overwhelm the region after the initial dump. Even the LV cannot remain snow when the low is on the coast even in mid-winter, let alone early November. GFS will be telling. If it moves toward the NAM, then to me this is a trend, especially considering the 21z SREF and 21z ARW are strongly in the NAM camp.

Yup, snow weenies need to hope the NAM is over aggressive with things, could be the case. Lets see what the GFS/Euro have to say.

Archived