amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
11/7 Noreaster Thread

Rib

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think it was a positive sign when you saw the precip getting eaten up by the dry air. Shows their is a solid cold (relatively speaking) airmass over us.

There's a lot of positive signs on this storm. The virga, the snow so far south, the CSI banding offshore...

Don't know if I'm wooshing myself but what is "CSI" lol.

conditional symmetric instability. It's when the atmosphere is unstable to slantwise ascent. It manifests itself as bands of heavier precip on radar. Usually you need some sort of post-storm analysis to tell if bands were CSI or frontogenetic forcing. Either way, it snows a lot.

conditional symmetric instability. It's when the atmosphere is unstable to slantwise ascent. It manifests itself as bands of heavier precip on radar. Usually you need some sort of post-storm analysis to tell if bands were CSI or frontogenetic forcing. Either way, it snows a lot.

Not convinced, eh? ;)

Ok thanks for the explanation.

i am located in swedesboro Gloucester county and I never like being in the forecasted "jackpot zone" as it's usually the kiss of death. hopefully i can get some "post worthy" pics, for the obs thread. waking up this morning it felt way too warm to support accum snow, but as every hour passes you can feel the rawness in the air increase.

I've found that usually, repetitive bands moving perpendicular to their orientation (eg, east-west oriented bands moving north, etc) on the cold side of a warm front, are a good sign of them.

I'll add that usually they are of a relatively modest scale (not massive like the leading band, which is obviously FG) and relatively discrete... i.e., like the ones currently on display east of ACY.

Mt Holly backs down the totals slightly. Went from 3-5 to 2-5.

NEW CASTLE-SALEM-GLOUCESTER-CAMDEN-NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON-

DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WILMINGTON...PENNSVILLE...GLASSBORO...

CAMDEN...CHERRY HILL...MOORESTOWN...MOUNT HOLLY...MEDIA...

PHILADELPHIA

1004 AM EST WED NOV 7 2012

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST

THURSDAY...

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 5 INCHES.

Archived