• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
12/20-12/21 Moderate/Intense Clipper Event?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, if that solution panned that football game would be a total mess.

Looks like 10" or so and still snowing by the end of the run.

I now have an official wish-cast (and I don't wishcast), that the 18Z NAM pans out. I want that football game to be a snowy mess. Would make for some great entertainment.

how could any weenie plus football fan not like that run. Pretty much moderate to heavy snow for the entire game. Not bad for us downstream either.

Looking at the GFS it looks like a good hit for most north of I-70, and not too bad of one even down here.

I would be careful with the GFS though. Look at the last storm, it didn't trend north until the last minute. The NAM has the QPF max about 200 miles north, but it was too far north with the last system. It will be interesting to see how the models adjust once the "brunt" of the energy comes ashore during the 00z launch tomorrow.

Pretty large shield of snow on this run, maybe a spread the wealth kind of storm is still in play?

nam_ref_084m.gif

The general NAM depiction is one supported by the ECM and one I had not considered much initially and that is a long, drawn out storm where there is no distinct intense baroclinic wave but a number of non-distinct very low amplitude mid/upper tropospheric wave disturbances embedded within the flow. The moistness of this storm also provides some potential for some interesting frontal banding and low level latent heat release/convective snows supported by an active upper level jet.

looks like the precip takes a nice dive southeastward at northern IL and looks like we would see a good amount of SN out of this run of the NAM. 0z run shall be interesting for sure.

pretty descent agreement on QPF between 18z NAM, 12z GFS, and 12z euro. guessing the NAM would come in wetter looking at the qpf 6 hour map at 84 hours.

dont forget the possible xmas eve storm :)

gosh I love this pattern, one storm exits and here comes the next one to watch.

I would be careful with the GFS though. Look at the last storm, it didn't trend north until the last minute. The NAM has the QPF max about 200 miles north, but it was too far north with the last system. It will be interesting to see how the models adjust once the "brunt" of the energy comes ashore during the 00z launch tomorrow.

Partially agree. With this system sampling of the strength of the ejecting S/W passing through the intermountain W as the cyclone breaks down will be key...and that is where a ton of variability exists with this storm. With the last system, it was not inefficient sampling of the cyclone (models had more than 2 days to ingest that data) but the extreme dry air/large arctic high and retrograding east coast low that killed qpf farther N. GEM was an example of where it failed well after the pacific cyclone was well within the raob network and it still didn't have a clue.

You can see from the last 5 day loop the cyclone was within the roab network from Tue12Z to Thu12Z and had ample time to ingest data. GEM/GFS and other models simply were unable to adjust to the strength of the blocking east coast low and the dry air. http://www.meteo.psu...NL/rucloop.html

looks like the precip takes a nice dive southeastward at northern IL and looks like we would see a good amount of SN out of this run of the NAM. 0z run shall be interesting for sure.

pretty descent agreement on QPF between 18z NAM, 12z GFS, and 12z euro. guessing the NAM would come in wetter looking at the qpf 6 hour map at 84 hours.

dont forget the possible xmas eve storm :)

gosh I love this pattern, one storm exits and here comes the next one to watch.

It's been fun to track but i hope we can get one to bring good snows to us further east. 18z NAM was a nice run for us, really nice shield over head at hr84 with plenty more to go.

Looks like 10" or so and still snowing by the end of the run.

how could any weenie plus football fan not like that run. Pretty much moderate to heavy snow for the entire game. Not bad for us downstream either.

I can't say whether or not I like this run. It's more north than the gfs for sure, I'd have to see how that pans out for us Ohio folks before I'd say I liked it. Football fan or not.

Partially agree. With this system sampling of the strength of the ejecting S/W passing through the intermountain W as the cyclone breaks down will be key...and that is where a ton of variability exists with this storm. With the last system, it was not inefficient sampling of the cyclone (models had more than 2 days to ingest that data) but the extreme dry air/large arctic high and retrograding east coast low that killed qpf farther N. GEM was an example of where it failed well after the pacific cyclone was well within the raob network and it still didn't have a clue.

You can see from the last 5 day loop the cyclone was within the roab network from Tue12Z to Thu12Z and had ample time to ingest data. GEM/GFS and other models simply were unable to adjust to the strength of the blocking east coast low and the dry air. http://www.meteo.psu...NL/rucloop.html

To me what is one of the biggest players is how the mid level vort retrograding west through central Canada behaves. if it wobbles slightly more north of west that would obviously in turn allow the short wave ridging to be slightly north. Sure this system will have less sampling resinous time. Looking at the 12z run they have mostly continued the trend north, possibly to better initializations of the downstream features which would affect the incoming system.

To me what is one of the biggest players is how the mid level vort retrograding west through central Canada behaves. if it wobbles slightly more north of west that would obviously in turn allow the short wave ridging to be slightly north. Sure this system will have less sampling resinous time. Looking at the 12z run they have mostly continued the trend north, possibly to better initializations of the downstream features which would affect the incoming system.

Chicago seems to agree with my thinking. CLASSIC "one-liner" in the AFD. :lol:

TO BEGIN....I AM NOT READY

DRINK ANY OF THE MODEL KOOLAID AND FULLY BUY OFF ON ANY ONE

SOLUTION. THE PARENT SYSTEM THAT WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR SPAWNING

THE THE WAVES ACROSS THE CONUS AND EVENTUALLY THE CWA IS STILL

SLOWLY WOBBLING ACROSS THE EASTERN PACIFIC AND A 150+ KT JET WILL

EVENTUALLY COLLIDE WITH NORTHERN CALIFORNIA EARLY INTO THE

WEEKEND THAT WILL EJECT THESE PULSES. THE MAJORITY OF THIS SYSTEM IS

STILL SPANNING A DATA VOID REGION AND WONT CROSS LAND UNTIL

TOMORROW. WHAT CAN BE SAID IS THAT THE MODELS DO MAINTAIN THE IDEA

OF BRINGING IN SOME LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS SUNDAY FOLLOWED BY

THE POSSIBILITY OF A HIGHER ACCUMULATING STORM MONDAY NIGHT. A

WEAK WAVE WILL SLIDE ACROSS THE NORTHERN PLAINS AND INTO THE GREAT

LAKES ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON. AGAIN...NOT EXPECTING MUCH ACCUMULATION

WITH THE FIRST SYSTEM. FOCUS IS THEN PLACED ON A LOW THAT WILL

DEVELOP ACROSS EASTERN COLORADO AND MOVE EAST ACROSS THE SOUTHERN

OHIO VALLEY. THE LAST FOUR RUNS OF THE GFS HAVE SLOWLY MOVED THE

CENTER OF THE SURFACE LOW FROM CENTRAL ILLINOIS TO INDIANA...TO

THE TENNESSEE VALLEY. EVEN THE GENERALLY STABLE ECMWF HAS CHANGED

THE LOCATION OF THE LOW BY 200+ MILES OVER THE LAST RUN AT THE

F96 HOUR. UNTIL THERE IS BETTER CONSENSUS ON HOW THINGS WILL

EVENTUALLY EVOLVE...WILL KEEP MENTION TO ONLY A CHANCE...AS WE

WILL BETTER BE ABLE TO FOCUS IN ON THE DETAILS OVER THE NEXT RUNS.

Archived