• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
12/20-12/21 Moderate/Intense Clipper Event?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EURO/UK/NAM look almost identical with the S/W trough and all feature a very sharp S/W over northern MN with the exception of some speed differences. Right now it looks like a rather quick hitting event.

What a complete waste of energy if that happens.

Oh well. Time to start a countdown to the demise of this rotten pattern. I'll take a coast to coast torch if that's the price for getting rid of this. The sooner the better.

I am still not biting.

Based on a quick analysis, it can go a couple of ways:

Low weakens considerably before reaching this area, resulting in a dusting at best.

Low pulls way north, and while we have plenty of cold air we still wind up with a sloppy mixing, or semi-mixing event

Track stays to our south and we have anywhere from 3" to 6" of snow. (2 to 4 probably more likely)

I am not going to quote odds on any one of these scenarios. Too many factors in play to settle on something more or less definite. I think I will wait a couple more runs before I figure on anything. Given the time of year, some sort of mixing would not be out of the question for the NE IL/NW IN/SE WI area. The last storm was shown to be too far south, then it was shown going through C IL, and then at 66 hours, the GFS showed the low over NE IL/SE WI. Eventually, there was some southerly correction, but we still wound up with a mix, and then as usual, little to nothing on the back end. With one of the models showing this current event down near Kentucky at one point, I would have to imagine in the next 24 hours or so, there will be at least a 400 mile correction on the track. I base this prediciton on the time of year, and the fact that we generally don't get our big snows here in December, January and February are the more likely months for that.

I will probably wait until later tonight, or early tomorrow to see what the models have to say, regarding snow for this area.

As far as the Christmas Eve "storm" goes... let's get this first one out of the way....

I am still not biting.

Based on a quick analysis, it can go a couple of ways:

Low weakens considerably before reaching this area, resulting in a dusting at best.

Low pulls way north, and while we have plenty of cold air we still wind up with a sloppy mixing, or semi-mixing event

Track stays to our south and we have anywhere from 3" to 6" of snow. (2 to 4 probably more likely)

I am not going to quote odds on any one of these scenarios. Too many factors in play to settle on something more or less definite. I think I will wait a couple more runs before I figure on anything. Given the time of year, some sort of mixing would not be out of the question for the NE IL/NW IN/SE WI area. The last storm was shown to be too far south, then it was shown going through C IL, and then at 66 hours, the GFS showed the low over NE IL/SE WI. Eventually, there was some southerly correction, but we still wound up with a mix, and then as usual, little to nothing on the back end. With one of the models showing this current event down near Kentucky at one point, I would have to imagine in the next 24 hours or so, there will be at least a 400 mile correction on the track. I base this prediciton on the time of year, and the fact that we generally don't get our big snows here in December, January and February are the more likely months for that.

I will probably wait until later tonight, or early tomorrow to see what the models have to say, regarding snow for this area.

As far as the Christmas Eve "storm" goes... let's get this first one out of the way....

I think the bolded scenario is most likely...that's where the best agreement is right now anyway. Also, not sure we can compare this low to the Minnesota blizzard...the setup was pretty different.

I think the bolded scenario is most likely...that's where the best agreement is right now anyway. Also, not sure we can compare this low to the Minnesota blizzard...the setup was pretty different.

True, two different animals. I agree with the blocking in place, the southerly track is more likely, but, I am not biting until there is something more concrete. I know it's a tad early to worry about precip issues, but the fact that LOT's AFD mentioned the possibility of drizzle, and climbing temps, makes me wonder.

The 18Z NAM is going crap-busters with that S/W and really amplifying things a lot. This would be the most ideal solution for a potential spread the wealth hit.

18z NAM still north with a good hit from eastern SD to MN out to 54hrs. never know what the NAM is thinking. some storms its good, others its on crack.

Coming in wetter and more NW/SE oriented.

18z NAM still north with a good hit from eastern SD to MN out to 54hrs. never know what the NAM is thinking. some storms its good, others its on crack.

The NAM gets consideration here because of its ability to undergo rapid and intense cyclogenesis. A slightly different scenario here but the same general thoughts apply and the NAM can better model situations where mesoscale effects (NAM has a very strong mesoscale divergent jet circulation) may be prominent as well as times where low static stability must be taken into consideration since cyclogenesis is hastened, both on the synoptic and meso scales, under that scenario. Whenever you have a moist system with strong latent heat release in the low level with a rapidly intensifying shortwave aloft and dynamically driven height falls/cooling, static stability tanks and it can feedback onto the overall development. Static stability plays a prominent role in the omega equation and you can find it in the denominator of all the major forcing terms.

Don't have to look any farther than a simple 4/6 panel to see what the NAM is doing with the co-location of those features. This is why the NAM is absolutely tanking this system so fast. The height falls aloft with that shortwave are rapidly destabilizing the mid levels directly above a region of strong low level WAA/diabatic heat release.

post-999-0-59935400-1292704842.png

This NAM solution is actually quite realistic and is definitely realizing the potential I suggested earlier under this configuration.

Don't have to look any farther than a simple 4/6 panel to see what the NAM is doing with the co-location of those features. This is why the NAM is absolutely tanking this system so fast. The height falls aloft with that shortwave are rapidly destabilizing the mid levels directly above a region of strong low level WAA/diabatic heat release.

post-999-0-59935400-1292704842.png

This NAM solution is actually quite realistic and is definitely realizing the potential I suggested earlier under this configuration.

we need to get the s/w further south so MN stops getting all the snow lol :thumbsup:

It bothers me that the last few model runs that have been posted, are consistently putting the best precip west of here. It would appear that there is either some serious dry air above far NE IL, or some other situation.

The last snow to come through left us nothing on Wed, and about .5" on Thursday. Off to the west, about 40-50 miles they had 3"-5" and within 25 miles west of me they had about .5" with totals growing larger as one went west, up to 5" in some spots.

Is this the result of the retrograding low across Canada? Is it pumping some drier air down this way? Not sure what to make of the situation. But the maps definitely show better qpf to my west.

It bothers me that the last few model runs that have been posted, are consistently putting the best precip west of here. It would appear that there is either some serious dry air above far NE IL, or some other situation.

The last snow to come through left us nothing on Wed, and about .5" on Thursday. Off to the west, about 40-50 miles they had 3"-5" and within 25 miles west of me they had about .5" with totals growing larger as one went west, up to 5" in some spots.

Is this the result of the retrograding low across Canada? Is it pumping some drier air down this way? Not sure what to make of the situation. But the maps definitely show better qpf to my west.

Read my above post. But basically, if some of these solutions verify, the shortwave aloft will undergo rapid cyclogenesis and will effectively "process" the low level baroclinic zone, essentially occluding early and resulting in a rapid weakening as it heads east. It is a feedback process and a rapidly intensifying solution with low static stability and an active jet combined with an intense S/W aloft all result in a rather rapid but intense period of precipitation followed by a quick drop-off and weakening. This example can be shown with all very intense storms. Sometimes you will hear of "instant occlusion" with very strong storms and really the same general principle applies.

And here for that matter! :lmao:

It would be a fitting end to this miserable damn pattern though. :lol: And yeah it would be over as it would help kick the miserable block out of the way. bye bye motherfooker. Don't come back..

I agree. No offense to you WI/MN guys but damn, Im sick of seeing you guys get all the snow :P Same goes to you Cincinnati.

Archived