• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2012-13

Wasn't a perfectly sunny, high-pressure mixing up to 700mb argument something like 68F? Seems like with advection (even if it's not impressive) and clouds/precip during the day, it's hard to argue anywhere near that. There might be a little something to say about downsloping tomorrow, but 67F seems unreasonable, and 65F even seems too high, I think.

Too bad they wouldn't cancel out, huh? ;)

That would be nice..lol. I'm trying here, they dont teach us much at WCSU. ;) At least I haven't forgotten yet and despite my horrible performance I'm in the negatives. I think if they were to go dry adiabatic with full sun and the progged 2C 700 mb temps. tomorrow I calculated they'd hit something like 70F. I doubt that will be the case though.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't a perfectly sunny, high-pressure mixing up to 700mb argument something like 68F? Seems like with advection (even if it's not impressive) and clouds/precip during the day, it's hard to argue anywhere near that. There might be a little something to say about downsloping tomorrow, but 67F seems unreasonable, and 65F even seems too high, I think.

Yeah, the downsloping was another reason why I went 65. I think if the clouds break up a tad like the USL is showing in the mid-afternoon, and you add in the downsloping, 65 is attainable. Though of course to an extent, downsloping and clouds breaking go hand-in-hand, since subsidence/DVM leads to air parcel compression and stability.

Swing and a miss on the precip........damn it. Com'on wind and a midnight low!!

Winds are going to be whipping tonight, and even with the ongoing CAA, it is advecting from an airmass with Pacific Origin, so I think 44F will be the low.

Looking ahead to tomorrow, it looks like the low will occur at the end of the period, so I won't even look at the results until this time tomorrow or later lol

It's literally pouring everywhere in the area except Billings itself. Sigh. And that low of 44...I mean it could obviously still cool off before midnight, but people being right for the wrong reason really ticks me off.

In other news, a special METAR reported a 32 knot wind.

Actually I read that METAR wrong. The 12:53pm METAR showed a peak wind of 39 knots.

I went 54/35/31/0.00 . Even though 700 mb temperatures will be significantly cooler I think there will be some downsloping to keep highs in the mid 50s.

That was my logic as well. The downsloping certainly worked out today with a high of 65.

I'm kind of regretting not being more aggressive than 39 knots with the winds for tomorrow. I was thinking of going 40+, but I chickened out.

Archived