• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking the 0C 850 line

Ian

I've been following the indices forecasts since the end of August. I honestly believe this past month and upcoming couple of weeks is significant. Not saying that it continues into winter or anything. It's just significant because it's persistent. The NAO in particular has basically been negative since the beginning of june and now we are moving into a time of year where it really means something irt sensible weather.

I was surprised/disappointed at the ao/nao combo last winter. I thought the odds favored a negative bias because we seem to be in a multi-year negative pattern. However, even the 60's had one year with a pretty + bias (66-67). Are we really in a negative cycle like the 60's? I'm not really sure. There are some indications saying we may be but I really don't have the knowledge to say anything definitive. With a weak nino on the way we're going to need some big help from the nao.

I've been following the indices forecasts since the end of August. I honestly believe this past month and upcoming couple of weeks is significant. Not saying that it continues into winter or anything. It's just significant because it's persistent. The NAO in particular has basically been negative since the beginning of june and now we are moving into a time of year where it really means something irt sensible weather.

I was surprised/disappointed at the ao/nao combo last winter. I thought the odds favored a negative bias because we seem to be in a multi-year negative pattern. However, even the 60's had one year with a pretty + bias (66-67). Are we really in a negative cycle like the 60's? I'm not really sure. There are some indications saying we may be but I really don't have the knowledge to say anything definitive. With a weak nino on the way we're going to need some big help from the nao.

I know what you're trying to say, and understand that you're just looking at an index (or two) and not making a seasonal weather forecast-- but that's kind of an inadvertently funny comment. As you know, '66-'67, one of our all-time great winters, doesn't in the least resemble last winter. So to begin to predict sensible weather, as you know, there clearly is something beyond just looking at one or two indices, important as those indices may be to our region.

I know what you're trying to say, and understand that you're just looking at an index (or two) and not making a seasonal weather forecast-- but that's kind of an inadvertently funny comment. As you know, '66-'67, one of our all-time great winters, doesn't in the least resemble last winter. So to begin to predict sensible weather, as you know, there clearly is something beyond just looking at one or two indices, important as those indices may be to our region.

I hear ya. The weenie in me is just looking for any and all signs that a 11-12 redux isn't going to happen irt to the ao/nao. I don't care what enso, pdo, mjo, or anything else looks like when we are stuck in a anomalous +nao/ao regime. It's a kiss of death. And this year being a weak nino we'll need help from these indices no matter what. NE can do fine with them being neutral and modestly positive. We cannot.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear ya. The weenie in me is just looking for any and all signs that a 11-12 redux isn't going to happen irt to the ao/nao. I don't care what enso, pdo, mjo, or anything else looks like when we are stuck in a anomalous +nao/ao regime. It's a kiss of death. And this year being a weak nino we'll need help from these indices no matter what. NE can do fine with them being neutral and modestly positive. We cannot.

Start praying the AK vortex decides to get off its ass and move, or else, torch city for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived