• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 8th/9th Severe Thread

andyhb

Gust front has thoroughly chocked the inflow here in SE PA. Notice the gust front boundary on radar now being detected as far north as Hunterdon County. I'm going to say NYC and LI's most intense convection occurred this morning, and the strongest impact with this squall line is likely to be NW NJ and immediately NW of NYC.

The noticeable outflow is still sotuh of Richmond Co's latitude, though. And the best forcing could still touch off strong convection..which may still mix down the very intense winds aloft.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gust front has thoroughly chocked the inflow here in SE PA. Notice the gust front boundary on radar now being detected as far north as Hunterdon County. I'm going to say NYC and LI's most intense convection occurred this morning, and the strongest impact with this squall line is likely to be NW NJ and immediately NW of NYC.

I agree. The line really peeters out south of Flemington, NJ. Extrapolating the movement of this line- it would appear it should go well to the NW of NYC through the western portion of Bergen county.

Unlike the "Derecho" thing back in July, this line actually has updrafts that are strengthening or remaining steady.

OKX.N0Q.20120908.2027.gif

The line is actually maintaining itself further north into NW NJ and SE NY... it looks to be a close one for far NE NJ and NYC. Based on the look of the radar the southern end of the stronger storms seems to be on track to reach NYC or NE NJ.

Its no big deal guys... Heavy rain and 15mph wind lol.. Ive been under heavy echoes for the past 15 mins and only 2 claps of thunder smh

The reports coming out of this line really don't sound very impressive... this reminds me of late July, obviously the set up was different but the storms also underperformed as soon as they entered NJ.

I didnt see the NWS post this earlier....obvious after the tornado in Breeazy Point....slight bust I'd say lol

Tornadoes

Probability of 2 or more tornadoes

Mod (50%)

Probability of 1 or more strong (F2-F5) tornadoes

Mod (30%)

Wind

Probability of 10 or more severe wind events

High (70%)

Probability of 1 or more wind events > 65 knots

Mod (50%)

Hail

Probability of 10 or more severe hail events

Low (10%)

Probability of 1 or more hailstones > 2 inches

Low (<5%)

Combined Severe Hail/Wind

Probability of 6 or more combined severe hail/wind events

High (>95%)

For each watch, probabilities for particular events inside the watch (listed above in each table) are determined by the issuing forecaster. The "Low" category contains probability values ranging from less than 2% to 20% (F2-F5 tornadoes), less than 5% to 20% (all other probabilities), "Moderate" from 30% to 60%, and "High" from 70% to greater than 95%. High values are bolded and lighter in color to provide awareness of an increased threat for a particular event.

Archived