• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Most Impressive DC Area wide event since 1980 OTHER than anything associated with 2009-10 winter

Deck Pic

Most impressive  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• August - September 1980
    • Blizzard 1983
    • Veteran's Day 1987
    • December 1989
    • Heat Wave March 1990
    • Superstorm 1993
    • January 19th, 1994
    • January 6-13 1996
    • PD2
    • Isabel
    • La Plata
    • 93-94 Ice
    • VD 2007
    • March 2009
    • Summers 2010-12
    • March 2012
    • Back to Back 1987
    • June 2006
    • Derecho
    • June 4, 2008

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll go with June 29 -- that way I get to combine the Big Blow with the 104 temperature. Even if the derecho hadn't happened, that still would have been an unbelievable day. I never remember feeling that oppressed by the heat and humidity at 900 at night, than that evening. So I chose "Derecho" because I'm piggybacking that day's heat. Cheating, perhaps, but the one did lead to the other ...

The ice and cold of 1994 probably did cripple the area more. It's a tough choice. I remember January more than February; thankfully in Takoma Park, we got sleet instead of the ice they had farther south during the February event.

I can't think of anything more anomalous than nearly a foot of snow at the notorious DCA in early November. But I'd probably put Isabel third, because of the flooding and storm surge. Veteran's Day was more of an outlier, but Isabel had far more impact.

I'll also shill a bit for the downburst of June 14, 1989. It was quite localized, so I see why it's not on the list, but anyone who ever saw what Bethesda/Chevy Chase looked like afterwards will never forget it. The damage from the derecho really didn't compare -- but again, in just that little slice of real estate. I don't think the storm amounted to anything much elsewhere.

I'll go with June 29 -- that way I get to combine the Big Blow with the 104 temperature. Even if the derecho hadn't happened, that still would have been an unbelievable day. I never remember feeling that oppressed by the heat and humidity at 900 at night, than that evening. So I chose "Derecho" because I'm piggybacking that day's heat. Cheating, perhaps, but the one did lead to the other ...

The ice and cold of 1994 probably did cripple the area more. It's a tough choice. I remember January more than February; thankfully in Takoma Park, we got sleet instead of the ice they had farther south during the February event.

I can't think of anything more anomalous than nearly a foot of snow at the notorious DCA in early November. But I'd probably put Isabel third, because of the flooding and storm surge. Veteran's Day was more of an outlier, but Isabel had far more impact.

I'll also shill a bit for the downburst of June 14, 1989. It was quite localized, so I see why it's not on the list, but anyone who ever saw what Bethesda/Chevy Chase looked like afterwards will never forget it. The damage from the derecho really didn't compare -- but again, in just that little slice of real estate. I don't think the storm amounted to anything much elsewhere.

I thought about including the 1989 microburst but decided it was more localized

I voted LaPlata as the most "impressive".

My thinking is while the huge snow storms were AWESOME and the most IMPACTFUL, they didn't exist outside the realm of possibility. They fell within the "we've seen it before, we'll see it again". To me, the LaPlata tornado was a complete outlier. Not within the scope of normal statistical chances.

I am kinda surprised the post-Ivan tornado outbreak, the Frostburg event (and F4 in the mountains) didn't even make the list.

I voted LaPlata as the most "impressive".

My thinking is while the huge snow storms were AWESOME and the most IMPACTFUL, they didn't exist outside the realm of possibility. They fell within the "we've seen it before, we'll see it again". To me, the LaPlata tornado was a complete outlier. Not within the scope of normal statistical chances.

I am kinda surprised the post-Ivan tornado outbreak, the Frostburg event (and F4 in the mountains) didn't even make the list.

This is one I thought about and should have done, at least in my runner up thread....I am not a severe weather buff but not sure why i'd include the frostburg event at all...It wasn't a DC event...I think at most we got some hail in the far burbs?...Frostburg isn't remotely close to DC....If I am going to include WV and Western MD, etc it brings a lot more into the fold...I'd certainly have included November 1995 which may be the most ludicrous outlier of all..100" in Garrett/Tucker/Preston...WTF?

What would a poll for all time best events, going back to beginning of modern weather wecords for DC even look like?

I'm pretty convinced I would vote for Hazel no matter what, but I imagine the events would include:

Heat: July 1930- 106 record high; 2010-2012 hottest summers in a row

Cold: 2/1899; 1/1918

Flood: 6/1889, 3/ 1936, 10/1942, Agnes

Severe Weather: 11/1927 tornado, ?? I guess La Plata 2002, but no clear other all-time greats

Snow/blizzards: 2/1899; Knickerbocker; 2009-2010

TS/Hurricanes: (1878), 1896, Hazel

What would a poll for all time best events, going back to beginning of modern weather wecords for DC even look like?

I'm pretty convinced I would vote for Hazel no matter what, but I imagine the events would include:

Severe Weather: 11/1927 tornado, ?? I guess La Plata 2002, but no clear other all-time greats

I would vote for February 9-13, 1899. The temperature range over those five days was 15 below zero to 12 above zero, with an average temperature of 2.6, and snowfall of 19.5 inches. That period could be extended to encompass February 5-15, 1899, which featured an average temperature of 12.8 and 34.2 inches of snow.

February 1899 snow/cold may be tops for me.

I would vote for February 9-13, 1899. The temperature range over those five days was 15 below zero to 12 above zero, with an average temperature of 2.6, and snowfall of 19.5 inches. That period could be extended to encompass February 5-15, 1899, which featured an average temperature of 12.8 and 34.2 inches of snow.

I may hate cold, but that would be an awesome stretch of weather.

Archived