Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 18-20 Talking Points - Part 2

am19psu

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, it's a huge first step that can be added to in future runs. We just want to see it in the neighborhood at this juncture. If there's a real wave in the southern stream amplifying into the trough, it'll probably be enough to become our storm given the favorability of the northern stream. If not, no storm since there is little or no northern stream component.

I still think it's either a total or mostly whiff out to sea or a substantial snowstorm for at least Philly northeast.

I cant believe how many people were just randomly giving up on this thing even though the shortwave had yet to be properly sampled.  Let's face it-- people hate any kind of uncertainty and have problems dealing with it.  I hope as it continues to get better sampled through tomorrow it trends to a hit for us.  Time will tell.  A little bit of uncertainty is fine for now.

You couldn't be more correct. This would be a disaster for anyone who has to put a forecast out.

Our local mets handled it really well-- they said there was a great deal of uncertainty and the three possibilities on the table were direct hit, near miss/grazing and completely out to sea.  They said any of those could happen and to stay tuned.  I like that kind of honesty-- no sense in making an absolute call when you just dont know.

This is why people shouldn't be jumping ship at this stage in the game. Even the Euro is not infallible at day 4, usually model variance continues and begins converging on a solution by about 24-48 hours from the event. As far as I can remember, this is a huge shift from the 12z run, and we're still nearly 4 days out.

Iso, I was thinking we might not even really know whats going to happen until the storm tomorrow passes by.

the storm has stalled right over boston...lgt snow wrapping back to north jers and nyc at hr 126

So basically the stall over us it and the GFS had earlier is now a stall over BOS?  Is it so close to them that there are mixing issues?  Hopefully it stalls just a tad further SW in future runs ;)

Iso, I was thinking we might not even really know whats going to happen until the storm tomorrow passes by.

Alex -- agree. Often times the models are highly erratic until the evolution of storm #1 is nailed down; that could be the case here. Also, the short wave in question isn't even on the playing field yet, so we've got plenty of time remaining for trends.

Our local mets handled it really well-- they said there was a great deal of uncertainty and the three possibilities on the table were direct hit, near miss/grazing and completely out to sea. They said any of those could happen and to stay tuned. I like that kind of honesty-- no sense in making an absolute call when you just dont know.

i don't know if you have News 12 (Cabelvision) but Bill Korbel, a seasoned met, did say that he'll wait until tomorrow to get a better handling on things, and he said he had a feeling LI could be brushed by the storm... Lee Goldberg, meanwhile, thinks this is OTS...

I cant believe how many people were just randomly giving up on this thing even though the shortwave had yet to be properly sampled. Let's face it-- people hate any kind of uncertainty and have problems dealing with it. I hope as it continues to get better sampled through tomorrow it trends to a hit for us. Time will tell. A little bit of uncertainty is fine for now.

After especially last winter, I'll never give up on a system until all its features are on land and sampled, maybe even then some. Maybe these strong ENSO patterns throw a lot of chaos and volatility into these things, but given how small of a change it takes in the upper air pattern to cause a major shift in our wx in the end, a storm is almost always at least plausible in a decent setup such as this with a S/W in question. 24-48 hours out from some of last year's winter storms we were progged to get nothing or next to nothing but ended up with much more. 2/25 last year was a huge surprise to me, and I had all but given up on 12/19 when every model and ensemble didn't get any snow north of Atlantic City 1-2 days before. 50 miles more and 2/6 would have been another huge thump for NYC. Hopefully this isn't a fluke/fake run and the other models catch on tomorrow.

hmmm, if models at 12z tomorrow continue the trend I am going to be pretty excited. I hate to jinx it, but its fairly common that our bigger storms tend to be shown only to be lost by models before trending back towards a hit within 84 hours. Lets see if this is the start of that pattern, I will tell you one thing, its also usually the Euro that picks up and others follow suit. Just think at 12z tomorrow we could be looking at a substantial hit.

Archived