Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ex-Helene remnant trof

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trend here as GFS again kills it in Caribbean. Mighy enhance showers in the Yucatan in 7 or 8 days. Beyond resolution chop (which is what I am hoping for), enhanced moisture heads Northward in general direction of Louisiana in 10 days. Still perpetually glass 11/64th optimistic it can try to spin up briefly and bring rain to the lawn about August 20th.

Might make Lesser Antilles with a name, or at least a number...

ETA - PSU tropical GFS 4 panel tells the story, 3 to 4 days, seeing 10 m/s shear (~20 knots) and 500-700 mb mean layer RH along and ahead below 30%. But sunny side of the street optimist, although almost nothing is left, in a week, shear and dryness much less a factor.

Trend here as GFS again kills it in Caribbean. Mighy enhance showers in the Yucatan in 7 or 8 days. Beyond resolution chop (which is what I am hoping for), enhanced moisture heads Northward in general direction of Louisiana in 10 days. Still perpetually glass 11/64th optimistic it can try to spin up briefly and bring rain to the lawn about August 20th.

Might make Lesser Antilles with a name, or at least a number...

And that makes sense. Once this enters the Caribbean the background low-level flow will rip the LLC to shreds. Counterintuitively, the best chance to get anything more than a strong TS out of this is for this to NOT get in the Caribbean west of the TUTT, but of course then the landfall chances dwindle.

And that makes sense. Once this enters the Caribbean the background low-level flow will rip the LLC to shreds. Counterintuitively, the best chance to get anything more than a strong TS out of this is for this to NOT get in the Caribbean west of the TUTT, but of course then the landfall chances dwindle.

As a silver lining optimist, I am hoping general gist of GFS is true, and the weak disturbance is around the Yucatan in a week, in improving conditions of shear, moisture, and the usual enhanced convergence found in the far Western Caribbeam and starting to come North as suggested by the post lobotomy chop, with what appears to be favorable 850 mb and 700 mb steering at 8 days.

For, say, a possible Louisiana hypothetical system, this could be entering as a wave about the time Bret entered the BoC as a wave, and could be a major hurricane 3 or 4 days later. Little weenie-wishcasting that last part, to be sure.

post-138-0-30624800-1344532428_thumb.jpg

Looks like convection is returning to the circulation center, which is definitely closed at the surface. Look for a 5pm upgrade if trends continue.

I should mention that this is unrelated to my post I made last night... the culprit that lead to the center becoming exposed briefly today was dry air intrusion due to northeasterly shear which has picked up as the subtropical ridge has intensified.

1-km floater up for our little invest

284.JPG

A WELL-DEFINED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS LOCATED MIDWAY BETWEEN THE

CAPE VERDE ISLANDS AND THE LESSER ANTILLES. A SMALL AREA OF

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IS BECOMING MORE ORGANIZED AROUND THE

CENTER OF CIRCULATION...AND UPPER-LEVEL WINDS APPEAR CONDUCIVE FOR

A TROPICAL DEPRESSION TO FORM LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT. THIS SYSTEM

HAS A HIGH CHANCE...80 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE

DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES WESTWARD AT ABOUT 15 MPH.

A WELL-DEFINED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS LOCATED MIDWAY BETWEEN THE

CAPE VERDE ISLANDS AND THE LESSER ANTILLES. A SMALL AREA OF

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IS BECOMING MORE ORGANIZED AROUND THE

CENTER OF CIRCULATION...AND UPPER-LEVEL WINDS APPEAR CONDUCIVE FOR

A TROPICAL DEPRESSION TO FORM LATER TODAY OR TONIGHT. THIS SYSTEM

HAS A HIGH CHANCE...80 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE

DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES WESTWARD AT ABOUT 15 MPH.

Noice.

This experimental 36-km WRF, run by a Ph.D. candidate in meteorology at Colorado State Univ., suggests that 92L will not intensify significantly until about 55L, and then intensifies it significantly as it heads west across the Windward Islands and south of Puerto Rico. Seems that it may be picking up on the enhancing influence in the wake of the Kelvin wave, as Phil mentioned.

I'm skeptical of that, given the shear forecasts west of 55W, but note that this WRF run keeps 92L far enough south to avoid some of the worst shearing affects of the TUTT.

http://maloney.atmos...t.d01.av700.gif

Main page for WRF: http://maloney.atmos...ealTimeWRF.html

post-88-0-96517300-1344538702_thumb.png

It's good to see the 12Z Euro come into alignment with the 12Z GFS (This seems to be a common refrain this year... wtf has happened to the Euro?) regarding 92L's future.

All of this talk about "Ernesto redux!!!" is way premature, I think. As of this moment, it seems 92L will struggle much more than Ernesto... and any talk about it even making it to the western Caribbean is a bit much.

It's good to see the 12Z Euro come into alignment with the 12Z GFS (This seems to be a common refrain this year... wtf has happened to the Euro?) regarding 92L's future.

All of this talk about "Ernesto redux!!!" is way premature, I think. As of this moment, it seems 92L will struggle much more than Ernesto... and any talk about it even making it to the western Caribbean is a bit much.

Ernesto struggled too before it became a tropical cyclone.... of course its not the same exact evolution (Ernesto originated at a farther south latitude), but they both were battling strong low-level flow from the onset.

Ernesto:

2zpqovc.jpg

Invest 92L:

1568eb4.jpg

Check the time on that one. I just refreshed and I'm still seeing 1354.

ETA: What Super Storm said.

Check the time on it (or the whole last page of this thread)

AL, 07, 2012080918, , BEST, 0, 137N, 429W, 30, 1010, TD, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1013, 150, 40, 40, 0, L, 0, , 0, 0, SEVEN, M,

Nope, still looks like they reclassified this into TD #7 with the 18Z model runs.

AL, 07, 2012080918, , BEST, 0, 137N, 429W, 30, 1010, TD, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, 1013, 150, 40, 40, 0, L, 0, , 0, 0, SEVEN, M,

Nope, still looks like they reclassified this into TD #7 with the 18Z model runs.

It just showed up now, I hit refresh then and still saw the 1300-ish time. Or it happened 30 minutes ago, roughly, after your first post...

But now

BEGIN

NHC_ATCF

invest_RENUMBER_al922012_al072012.ren

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

Ernesto struggled too before it became a tropical cyclone.... of course its not the same exact evolution (Ernesto originated at a farther south latitude), but they both were battling strong low-level flow from the onset.

I predict Josh records 974 mb in Buena Vista from this one.

I predict Josh records 974 mb in Buena Vista from this one.

Did I mention that when 92L/07L whatever they do is in the Central Caribbean, GFS forecasts 20 plus knots of shear and mean 500-700 mb RH AOB 30%? Can't go into detail why the Euro harshes its buzz, but I suspect similar reasons.

It just showed up now, I hit refresh then and still saw the 1300-ish time. Or it happened 30 minutes ago, roughly, after your first post...

But now

BEGIN

NHC_ATCF

invest_RENUMBER_al922012_al072012.ren

FSTDA

R

U

NONE

NOTIFY=ATRP

END

Right around my post, which means I might have seen it first as I always run with no cache. ;)

:lol:

I do like the track...

The intensity based off the LGEM though. If this is a chase anywhere, and I remain under 1/4 glass full, it is Tampico to Tampa.

Edit re: above

MOREOVER...THE ECMWF AND GFS

MODELS SUGGEST THAT THE SYSTEM COULD OPEN UP INTO A WAVE IN A FEW

DAYS. THE OFFICIAL INTENSITY FORECAST CALLS FOR ONLY SLOW

STRENGTHENING...AND MORE OR LESS FOLLOWS THE LATEST LGEM GUIDANCE.

Ernesto:

Invest 92L:

I'm not talking about before they became a tropical cyclone.... and I know that, and I know Ernesto struggled at times in the Caribbean as well... what I'm talking about is 07 is going to struggle more as a tropical cyclone, particularly in the Caribbean Sea than Ernesto did. I think there is a much higher chance 07 dissipates in the Caribbean vs. Ernesto.

I'm not talking about before they became a tropical cyclone.... and I know that, and I know Ernesto struggled at times in the Caribbean as well... what I'm talking about is 07 is going to struggle more as a tropical cyclone, particularly in the Caribbean Sea than Ernesto did. I think there is a much higher chance 07 dissipates in the Caribbean vs. Ernesto.

There were also multiple occasions where it looked like Ernesto was going to degenerate into an open wave. In fact, thats what most people were saying last week at this time when Ernesto first formed. Ernesto beat the odds because in several different occasions it developed robust convection which enhanced the upper level flow. For TD#7 to have a similar fate, it will need to develop good outflow/convective activity that can keep the westerly shear in check. Again, that is where the CCKW might come in. Will TD#7 be as robust as Ernesto... stay tuned!

Evening, everyone. I'm a newbie to the site, but not a newbie to tracking hurricanes and weather in general. I was referred to this site from another and I can already tell this one is much more professional. I look forward to discussing the tropics/weather-in-general with you guys!

With that said, TD7 seems to be struggling with the nasty 1-2-3 punch of fast forward motion, dry air, and diurnal minimum. Luckily for TD7, shear is a non-factor at the present time. Otherwise, I really doubt how long it could last. You could really add in SSTs as a fourth limiting factor, but it should move over waters that are 1C warmer later tonight. I think this, combined with d-max, should help encourage more convective activity tonight and give TD7 an extra boost. Overall, still looks like a difficult track ahead for it.

2012220atsst.png

Archived