• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
(2012) July 4th weather, plans, gen. chat, fireworks pics

stormitecture

Whoa crazy, I ended up at the same parking garage. It was neat watching the two shows at once, with the distant show being visible way off down 66. The Fairfax fireworks were good, but what was up with the end? They just sort of stopped, no finale or anything.

Wow. That is random. Where were you sitting on the garage? I was standing closer to the East side on my gray Camry holding a baby, with my 4-year old on the hood.

The end was really weird. We thought maybe there was some sort of technical problem. It definitely didn't seem like they had a finale.

Whoa crazy, I ended up at the same parking garage. It was neat watching the two shows at once, with the distant show being visible way off down 66. The Fairfax fireworks were good, but what was up with the end? They just sort of stopped, no finale or anything.

Wow. That is random. Where were you sitting on the garage? I was standing closer to the East side on my gray Camry holding a baby, with my 4-year old on the hood.

The end was really weird. We thought maybe there was some sort of technical problem. It definitely didn't seem like they had a finale.

Debris from the show was falling too close to spectators so the finale was 86ed.

ha, I had my old Dodge Minivan with scorch marks from a Gaithersburg show one year. I was right across from the fairgrounds where they set them off. In a funny way though....the next summer...the van caught fire...hahaha.

Anyhow...here is picture your ya from DC:

20120705-IMG71651500-M.jpg

I suspect Ian will post before too long. Actually met up with him for a about and hour and half. Also briefly met Kevin Ambrose (Ian was already meeting up with him). I moved back south about a 1000 feet from them. I wanted to get more of Memorial Bridge in my video/pictures. This is a rough edit. Later I'm going to try and stack some images for multi-exposure images. Bring the bridge out a tad more.

nice shot. our spot was definitely a bit confined with the framing. but.. i already shot up pretty close to where you were 2 yrs ago so i was not terribly wedded to any one thing. i think i'll either reshoot from the netherlands carillon next time or actually do a shoot in dc for once. i talked to some guy who took photos from the top of the steps next to the river in front of the lincoln.. he got a few cool ones with a really wide angle. it's hard to leave the water though...

i will post the rest of the good ones to flickr by the weekend but here's two i posted there. first is the first shells which i always try to get. i had started an exposure before they went up so it's verging on "hot" but i think it's ok. should have been a bit wider angle i guess.

7505711996_931cd53492_c.jpg

7505495840_de54fbe08f_z.jpg

here's a combined set from kevin and me: http://www.washingto...3RSPW_blog.html

God, those are nice Ian. I wish I had time to shot more pictures. Really need to get a nice second lens for the second 7D. Then I can do video and photos. I haven't checked the GoPro, but I suspect I was too far as the super wide angle would have been perfect for right under the fireworks.

thanks. lol, you saw the lens i was shooting with didnt you? since i lost my 28-300 IS, I used the older version of that without IS and one I dropped long ago so there is no mount for filters etc on the front. it works at least... tho im in the market now for a new zoom i suppose. wont go tamron as im having issues with dark corners with full frame.

i could keep going back to the river but i think the next lvl of shots are more the type where you just plan on getting one really good one that's unique. the cover of the post today had the mlk memorial with them.. good idea, not done prior since no op for it. i was set to shoot on the bridge but your tale of the lights there scared me away.

In a weird way...I actually have to turn off the IS when I'm on the tripod. It doesn't like the 7D maybe, but I am 100% manual.

BTW...with that second shot, if you shot in RAW, try switching to Florescent WB. I did that with mine because it was too warm. But that was just a personal choice too, it might not work on that shot. I'm curious more than anything.

In a weird way...I actually have to turn of the IS when I'm on the tripod. It doesn't like the 7D maybe, but I am 100% manual.

BTW...with that second shot, if you shot in RAW, try switching to Florescent WB. I did that with mine because it was too warm. But that was just a personal choice too, it might not work on that shot. I'm curious more than anything.

well yeah i guess you don't shoot with is on a tripod. but still.

i don't shoot raw (i know.. ). i like warmer shots in a lot of cases.. it's sort of my style i suppose.

Super good video. I was in Columbia near a lake just to east of Mall. DC and Columbia best around I hear.

DC sucks for length and variety. It offers the best context type shots though. Nothing like fireworks in the capital of the nation.

Personally, of all the shows in the area (aside from Baltimore) I think Gaithersburg has the best. Last a long time, they do the fake you out finale (double fake in 2007, see video below) and they do some variety. But it sucks for context.

Add:

Here is the video which sucks because I used a cheap SD camera. It also was the year that the embers floated down and scorched the paint a little on my minivan I had at the time:

Yeah...and I tried the Florescent on this shot...and it didn't work this time. Depend on the fireworks color too I guess.

20120705-IMG71661500-L.jpg

I did layer in the bridge here.

i shoot the red/orange/gold/etc more than greens and blues overall. greens are tough as a whole and tend to blow out. it's pretty hit or miss.. even knowing the best general way to shoot you're going to lose at least half of photos just because a random shell is too bright etc. prob should have gone f13 or so but stayed at 11 the whole time.. show is quick as you know so not much time to stop and think once it starts. i actually wish they started a little earlier.. i love dusk. one prob with the bridge shooting still is you don't get much detail.

I went to the DC fireworks in 1989 and they were unbelievable...I remember them like it was yesterday despite the young age I saw them. I will always remembering being right at the front where the fence was (back then...not sure how it is now) and seeing them almost overhead on the Mall.

I went to the DC fireworks in 1989 and they were unbelievable...I remember them like it was yesterday despite the young age I saw them. I will always remembering being right at the front where the fence was (back then...not sure how it is now) and seeing them almost overhead on the Mall.

How young...hahah...I think I may have you beat a couple years. I think my early memories of DC fireworks goes to around 1983-1984.

Wish I was around the the Beach Boys 1976 extravaganza!!!

Just for reference. Here is one from last year, where I was ON the bridge. Not the best spot really, but it was OK:20110704-IMG40651500-L.jpg

Great stills on the fireworks. I've never had any luck but I also don't know how to do manual settings properly for long exposures. I have a Rebel with the stock lens. Can you guys recommend a lens that won't break the bank where I can get more creative? I assume a lens with IS is the way to go?

I actually saw the 1976 show down in DC. I was 7 so my memory decent. It blew my young mind. It was the largest show I've seen live in my life. We parked somewhere in VA along the GW parkway. Don't remember exactly where but we were pretty close. I don't think I'll be around for the tricentenial though. lol

Archived