amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Massachusetts Tornado - 1 Year Later

CT Rain

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One scary thing was that as my brother and I were driving through Springfield we were screaming at people to get inside and they had no idea why...as an ef3 was ripping 10 blocks away. Scary how ignorant some people can be when it comes to life threatening situations.

The tornado passed less than a quater mile from my house in forest park as the crow flies.

If I had not been watching the thing crossing the river on live tv and then Brian Lapas saying that it was headed towards the FP section of Springfied I would never have taken cover in the basement.

There was some thunder and lightning and a few drops of rain where I lived and it did get as dark as midnight for a few minutes when I was in the basement.

But then the sky lightened and sun came back out. Where I was there was no hail or torrential rains or tremendous thunder and lightning before the thing plowed right past us. I could see how someone who did not have an eye for the weather would think there was nothing unusual except for a storm in the area.

The only reason I was watching tv was because I had seen mammatus clounds to the north of spfd about an hour and a half earlier and when I saw those text book mammatus clouds I knew there was real severe wx potential.

The second tornadic supercell that put down the weaker tornado in northern spfd was much more menacing in preview so to speak. That storm had constant rolling thunder and lightning and the sky to the north east of me was a sickly greenish yellow..but with that storm we missed most of the rain as again the action was to the north and northeast of us. But that cell an hour and a half later or so seemed much more frightening.

The third round..a more garden variety svr wx with small hail and torrential rains and gusty winds came through around 8pm.

We were sitting in a restaurant in Mendon after a golf tournament, watching the weather heads tracking the storm. When it hit Southbridge we realized it was only 15 miles to our west and headed our way. Thankfully it lifted shortly thereafter. We got a decent thunderstorm, but no damage. We had debris all over our yard (and on our roof) the next day. I know this a board for weather enthusiasts, but I'm always amazed when I read comments from people hoping that severe weather hits.

We were sitting in a restaurant in Mendon after a golf tournament, watching the weather heads tracking the storm. When it hit Southbridge we realized it was only 15 miles to our west and headed our way. Thankfully it lifted shortly thereafter. We got a decent thunderstorm, but no damage. We had debris all over our yard (and on our roof) the next day. I know this a board for weather enthusiasts, but I'm always amazed when I read comments from people hoping that severe weather hits.

Thats a whole other subject. You obviously don't want to see one ripping through populated areas but as people who love extreme wx its hard to not cheer one on in the middle of nowhere. It's definitely touchy.

Going back to the idea of what Ryan said in the first couple of posts, as enthusiasts of extreme weather tornadoes I think are inherently different than nor'easters or hurricanes. Most other types of extreme weather are large systems, and despite knowing that people are losing their lives or possessions it is not as easy to pin down where as it is with a tornado. A tornado like last June 1st, and I can pretty accurately determine the town, and even part of town, that is being devastated. It's a different feeling to see that on your screen, versus a coastal low with multiple hazards affecting different areas. The outbreaks like March 2nd of this year, or April 27th last year I get a sinking feeling watching the radar that I don't get with any other type of weather.

Going back to the idea of what Ryan said in the first couple of posts, as enthusiasts of extreme weather tornadoes I think are inherently different than nor'easters or hurricanes. Most other types of extreme weather are large systems, and despite knowing that people are losing their lives or possessions it is not as easy to pin down where as it is with a tornado. A tornado like last June 1st, and I can pretty accurately determine the town, and even part of town, that is being devastated. It's a different feeling to see that on your screen, versus a coastal low with multiple hazards affecting different areas. The outbreaks like March 2nd of this year, or April 27th last year I get a sinking feeling watching the radar that I don't get with any other type of weather.

I think part of the lure with severe wx is that it has the unpredictability with it...like you never know exactly where it will develop. Something like a nor'easter or hurricane you can see coming a week away. With severe wx, you never quite know how it will develop or what will happen...so there is also that part of it too. I was discussing this with a coworker of mine and it is true. I love winter storms, but severe wx brings that unknown factor into the equation.

I Remember calling my friend who lives in Springfield,Ma and warning him minutes before the actual tornado warning came out as i was tracking it via the radar on GRLEVEL3, and saw the couplet and quickly called him to get him and his family into a safe spot, it dropped not far away 600 yards to be exact from his house. It was very interesting to see it unfold, he sent me the video. Then on June 1st of this year my friend Ryan SmokeEater from the Philly Region and I went down to Fallston,Md and we got nailed on by an EF1 Tornado. Almost if not the same date as this springfield, ma tornado. That day was crazy last year for many in your region.

I Remember calling my friend who lives in Springfield,Ma and warning him minutes before the actual tornado warning came out as i was tracking it via the radar on GRLEVEL3, and saw the couplet and quickly called him to get him and his family into a safe spot, it dropped not far away 600 yards to be exact from his house. It was very interesting to see it unfold, he sent me the video. Then on June 1st of this year my friend Ryan SmokeEater from the Philly Region and I went down to Fallston,Md and we got nailed on by an EF1 Tornado. Almost if not the same date as this springfield, ma tornado. That day was crazy last year for many in your region.

I saw your video. Pretty cool stuff.

While no severe in my area that day, I think the best light show I've ever seen during the evening. Continuous strobes for about an hour.

I saw your video. Pretty cool stuff.

While no severe in my area that day, I think the best light show I've ever seen during the evening. Continuous strobes for about an hour.

Never in my life did i actually expect to be filming yet being inside and actual tornado. Was amazing. I am still excited and happy to have been and safely come through it without harm, and no harm to my car also.

Here is the Video of the Tornado that we got.

That picture is from Stewart Ave in Monson. Not Brimfield

I also will never forget that day.... I was on the air at my old station in Eastern Connecticut, and immediately got off at 6pm and raced up to Sturbridge, then back home to Chicopee through Brimfield, Monson, Hampden, Wilbraham and Springfield. Calling my family early in the afternoon back home in Chicopee, screaming at them to get in the basement - and being 100% serious - is something I will also never forget. Something I never expected to have to do. Fortunately, the closest the tornado came to our house was 3 or so miles....but still, to think of something so destructive so close to the place you grew up and called home. To see the towns that I've known all my life - and know people in all of them - torn up and in shambles was ridiculous. The next morning, I traveled the entire path of the tornado and took this gallery of images...

http://www.facebook....45405313&type=3

Seeing people that lost so much, so close, really hit home. Every time I hear thunder now, I check my phone or computer and look at base velocity scan...even though I've moved to Virginia (to program a radio station). I was home Memorial Day weekend and seeing some of the progress in rebuilding, especially in the hard hit Island Pond/Roosevelt area of Springfield was a pleasure. So many people lost so much and endeared a rough year....but things at least from the home/living standpoint have definitely gotten closer to normal. Things from a tree standpoint may not be the same for a generation. I had always been a casual weather observer, primarily due to my broadcast profession....but after this, my fascination with tornadoes and weather in general rose significantly.

There are a few days I'll tell my grandchildren about someday...the Patriots vs. Rams Super Bowl, the 2004 World Series, and the Springfield tornado.

• 3 months later...

Great news from Pete Banacos--

The June 1st paper has been officially published in EJSSM!

http://www.ejssm.org...rticle/view/105

This was indeed another great paper and quickly went to the pertinent information about the outbreak, making it a quick and educational read. A lot of the times (case studies in particular) research papers can feel redundant and boring.

On an interesting note, I find it a little bit funny that Mead gave the strongest criticism of all the great reviews. While some of the criticisms were warranted, I also found it to be a bit contrived for the sake of criticizing. For example, I never thought we needed an EML to receive a strong tornado in the Northeast always which was one of his concerns (the reader would think that). The interesting note is that Mead was the main forecaster for both the 6/1/2011 outbreak and the last moderate risk in the Northeast. ;)

This was indeed another great paper and quickly went to the pertinent information about the outbreak, making it a quick and educational read. A lot of the times (case studies in particular) research papers can feel redundant and boring.

On an interesting note, I find it a little bit funny that Mead gave the strongest criticism of all the great reviews. While some of the criticisms were warranted, I also found it to be a bit contrived for the sake of criticizing. For example, I never thought we needed an EML to receive a strong tornado in the Northeast always which was one of his concerns (the reader would think that). The interesting note is that Mead was the main forecaster for both the 6/1/2011 outbreak and the last moderate risk in the Northeast. ;)

Mead has a shear fetish.

The paper is a great supplement to the 2010 Banacos/Ekster EML paper. I saw what Corey was saying but given the research in 2010 about the vast majority of fatalities associated with sig svr on EML days I think it's worth spending time on particularly as a useful paper to NE operational forecasters.

Lance's comments were (as usual) insightful. I had hypothesized that channeled flow did have an impact in a local maximum of boundary layer theta-e and storm relative helicity. An interaction with an existing outflow boundary from the supercell to the north near Northampton may have played a roll in tornadogenesis given the previous studies by Bosart and others at SUNYA.

What makes this case somewhat different from Mechanicville or Great Barrington is that this tornado reached peak intensity once out of the CT River Valley. I wonder if the initial tornadogenesis was aided by a combination of channeled flow and the existing outflow boundary from the north enhancing low level horizontal vorticity... while other storm scale processes took over once east of Springfield? Is the initial presence of channeled flow/outflow boundary important to kickstart tornadogenesis and then becomes less important in maintaining the storm? Not sure.

Mead needs to also understand this paper still has its roots on severe wx and the climo of such for the Northeast and New England. There are reasons why other parts of the country can have shear through the roof and lapse rates less than 7C/KM.

I guess if you're coming at it from the point of... big deal... most big sig severe weather days are aided by the presence of EMLs (which aren't unusual in the Plains of course) then I can see the validity of his points.

But the thing is... he missed the bigger picture. The confluence of the EML and high shear is unusual in New England and occurs infrequently which makes it a noteworthy event.

I guess if you're coming at it from the point of... big deal... most big sig severe weather days are aided by the presence of EMLs (which aren't unusual in the Plains of course) then I can see the validity of his points.

But the thing is... he missed the bigger picture. The confluence of the EML and high shear is unusual in New England and occurs infrequently which makes it a noteworthy event.

Exactly. This isn't really intended for someone living in ICT. It's also a supplement to the 2010 paper and now has a recent application to the 2010 paper and like you said...it's an example of siggy severe applications and EML related occurrences. I understood what he meant, but maybe he looked at it from a point of view that was not intended by the paper.

Exactly. This isn't really intended for someone living in ICT. It's also a supplement to the 2010 paper and now has a recent application to the 2010 paper and like you said...it's an example of siggy severe applications and EML related occurrences. I understood what he meant, but maybe he looked at it from a point of view that was not intended by the paper.

It's not like EMLs are a new thing or new focus of research for severe weather as a whole. What IS new was the climatology Banacos and Ekster did for this specific area in 2010 and the Springfield tornado made for a perfect case study.

It was a great read... and even the weenies can enjoy it... it's easy to digest and follow.

The paper is a great supplement to the 2010 Banacos/Ekster EML paper. I saw what Corey was saying but given the research in 2010 about the vast majority of fatalities associated with sig svr on EML days I think it's worth spending time on particularly as a useful paper to NE operational forecasters.

Lance's comments were (as usual) insightful. I had hypothesized that channeled flow did have an impact in a local maximum of boundary layer theta-e and storm relative helicity. An interaction with an existing outflow boundary from the supercell to the north near Northampton may have played a roll in tornadogenesis given the previous studies by Bosart and others at SUNYA.

What makes this case somewhat different from Mechanicville or Great Barrington is that this tornado reached peak intensity once out of the CT River Valley. I wonder if the initial tornadogenesis was aided by a combination of channeled flow and the existing outflow boundary from the north enhancing low level horizontal vorticity... while other storm scale processes took over once east of Springfield? Is the initial presence of channeled flow/outflow boundary important to kickstart tornadogenesis and then becomes less important in maintaining the storm? Not sure.

With respect to the channeled flow...

The feeling among us was that the parameters in place were sufficient to generate a strong tornado regardless of the terrain. Having looked at as much local radar data as I have, watching storms descend the east slope into the valley I do think there is the chance that this may have helped a bit, but the point is that it is speculative and very difficult to prove either way. Anecdotally, and perhaps statistically albeit with little significance, we do tend to see tornadoes more frequently in the N-S running valleys, and the Bosart paper addresses that. However in this case, rather than introduce a fairly uncertain section we initially elected to leave it out entirely. Upon review it was suggested to us to mention it... again, we didn't dispute the idea that it might be a factor, and that gave us an opportunity to introduce it at the behest of a reviewer with the caveat that we couldn't say for sure it's influence.

1. Agree with first paragraph

2. If Lance says he learned something, your paper is good. I thought his compliments were awesome. While you may be right about an existing OFB, Banacos/Ekster said they found no evidence of this coming to aid in further intensification. Although they could have meant well in advance.

3. Yeah they certainly noted that it intensified leaving the valley. As far as storm time scale and how something may be useful at t=0 or even a storm-relative lag is hard to say. You could even say the opposite that the topography aided in properly balancing the high M air with low level buoyancy being entrained which set off the spin beyond its encounter. Who's to say maximum balanced rotation / vertical stacking has to happen at the moment of topography aid?

Has anyone brought the work of Markowski into the 2011 event in terms of front flank initiated circuits? It would be interesting to see that type of an analysis for 6/11.

With respect to the channeled flow...

The feeling among us was that the parameters in place were sufficient to generate a strong tornado regardless of the terrain. Having looked at as much local radar data as I have, watching storms descend the east slope into the valley I do think there is the chance that this may have helped a bit, but the point is that it is speculative and very difficult to prove either way. Anecdotally, and perhaps statistically albeit with little significance, we do tend to see tornadoes more frequently in the N-S running valleys, and the Bosart paper addresses that. However in this case, rather than introduce a fairly uncertain section we initially elected to leave it out entirely. Upon review it was suggested to us to mention it... again, we didn't dispute the idea that it might be a factor, and that gave us an opportunity to introduce it at the behest of a reviewer with the caveat that we couldn't say for sure it's influence.

No doubt... I agree with your response and how you handled it. Given the past research it's certainly a possibility but yeah there was no evidence that it was the smoking gun that lead to tornadogenesis given how favorable the pattern was.

1. Agree with first paragraph

2. If Lance says he learned something, your paper is good. I thought his compliments were awesome. While you may be right about an existing OFB, Banacos/Ekster said they found no evidence of this coming to aid in further intensification. Although they could have meant well in advance.

3. Yeah they certainly noted that it intensified leaving the valley. As far as storm time scale and how something may be useful at t=0 or even a storm-relative lag is hard to say. You could even say the opposite that the topography aided in properly balancing the high M air with low level buoyancy being entrained which set off the spin beyond its encounter. Who's to say maximum balanced rotation / vertical stacking has to happen at the moment of topography aid?

Has anyone brought the work of Markowski into the 2011 event in terms of front flank initiated circuits? It would be interesting to see that type of an analysis for 6/11.

I think as for that we'll never know. Markowski did show the importance of OFB in tornadogenesis with sig tornadoes in some of his previous work. Without a dense mesoscale network we don't even know that there was a preexisting boundary.

Just was speculation on my part that those may have been factors but as the authors mentioned there's really no available evidence either way for the above 2 issues.

I think as for that we'll never know. Markowski did show the importance of OFB in tornadogenesis with sig tornadoes in some of his previous work. Without a dense mesoscale network we don't even know that there was a preexisting boundary.

Just was speculation on my part that those may have been factors but as the authors mentioned there's really no available evidence either way for the above 2 issues.

By the way, good write up about the day too. I enjoyed it. You are right that it will be close to impossible at this point to say whether or not a boundary was at work. Obviously the lowest portion of tornadogenesis remains elusive and is the subject of a lot of research lately. The balance of near-ground parcels with the most positive buoyancy/least M and high angular momentum air being entrained (usually with a second RFD) coupled with an organized / stacked circulation(s) above remains the domain of this issue. Small things like elevation, surface friction etc. are likely factors when you think about the layer near the ground having a significant role in the ability for updrafts to be sustained into the increasing M state.

No doubt... I agree with your response and how you handled it. Given the past research it's certainly a possibility but yeah there was no evidence that it was the smoking gun that lead to tornadogenesis given how favorable the pattern was.

It's still amazing to see the tornado rip up the hill sides once it got east of Springfield. Perhaps the channeled flow helps in facilitating tornadogenesis, but the atmospheric environment was practically ideal in maintaining the supercell as it moved east. IIRC, the shear at 925mb increased by a good deal from 18z through 00z that day. You are also going into a prime time of day and well removed from any marine influence.

It's still amazing to see the tornado rip up the hill sides once it got east of Springfield. Perhaps the channeled flow helps in facilitating tornadogenesis, but the atmospheric environment was practically ideal in maintaining the supercell as it moved east. IIRC, the shear at 925mb increased by a good deal from 18z through 00z that day. You are also going into a prime time of day and well removed from any marine influence.

Yeah maybe it needed a kick start? I think the presence of that supercell to the north putting down several outflow boundaries may have been important in getting the southern storm to take off and go tornadic. A feed of relatively higher theta-e air right up the CT River valley with a slightly backed trajectory could have been a factor but we'll never know for sure.

Archived