e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Winter 2012-2013

TheTrials

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accuweather.com released their finalized winter forecast, and just like their preliminary winter outlook, they have above normal snowfall for the NYC area.

590x437_10021836_ussnow1213_cropped.jpg

They are expecting more systems like February 26 2010, with rain into New England, and snow NYC South and west.

http://www.accuweath...nyc/80787#link1

Great. Just when I was hoping for a decent winter, Accuwx jinxes us again. :axe:

Brett Anderson

I am starting to lean in the direction that there will be little or no ENSO influence this winter across the northern U.S. and Canada. We probably will not even reach the official criteria for El Nino I suspect. Doesn't make the winter forecast any easier.

Some analogs that are being thrown around throughout the Internet are 1976-1977 and 2008-2009.

the teleconnectors really arent the best right now i wouldnt be making too many outlandish calls with these analogs that were good winters. yea some are throwing around 76-77 and 08-09 but currently dont see it being that "good" yet. it will become more clear as we head deeper into october

the teleconnectors really arent the best right now i wouldnt be making too many outlandish calls with these analogs that were good winters. yea some are throwing around 76-77 and 08-09 but currently dont see it being that "good" yet. it will become more clear as we head deeper into october

Agree, and I don't like either of those years as analogs. Right now I'm leaning more toward 51-52, 53-54, and 06-07. The next several weeks are very important IMO, but I'm certainly not as excited as I'd like to be given the weak ENSO signal. I'm sure we'll do better with more variability than last winter, but I can easily see another warm/below avg snow year.

Agree, and I don't like either of those years as analogs. Right now I'm leaning more toward 51-52, 53-54, and 06-07. The next several weeks are very important IMO, but I'm certainly not as excited as I'd like to be given the weak ENSO signal. I'm sure we'll do better with more variability than last winter, but I can easily see another warm/below avg snow year.

I'm not crazy about the trends in ENSO; it looks like the Niño will crap out early like 51-52. The PDO remains stubbornly negative which suggests that if we do see some cold air entering the US, the mean trough could be well west of us. The main thing giving me hope is the -EPO pattern that's developed so far this fall bringing early arctic air to the Plains. I remember some hints of this in 2009 as well. The MJO also looks to be heading towards a more Nino like regime which may suggest the +ENSO isn't entirely finished.

What did the forecasts for last winter look like in early October? Unless everyone called for a major stinker I doubt we'll know for sure what will happen this winter. The massive uncertainty regarding long term forecasting is preventing me from feeling bad about the upcoming winter. If it stinks then it stinks. But I'm not going to throw in the towel 2 weeks into fall.

What did the forecasts for last winter look like in early October? Unless everyone called for a major stinker I doubt we'll know for sure what will happen this winter. The massive uncertainty regarding long term forecasting is preventing me from feeling bad about the upcoming winter. If it stinks then it stinks. But I'm not going to throw in the towel 2 weeks into fall.

Everyone was calling for a good winter, and it stunk pretty much after the oct storm. The year before that everyone was calling for crap winter, 60 inches and 2 months of snowcover later we had a historic stretch. As you know, long range is a crap shoot. I just cant see it being any worse then last year....

yea currently im seeing a winter that could be a little better than last but not by much, really a stinker again. we really need that ENSO signal to become stronger to have a chance at a better winter or else every other teleconnector would be close to nill. but like you said the next several weeks into beginning of november will be very importanto see what were looking at with some confidence as we head into december and the latter winter months. stay strong everyone were only two weeks into fall and some members are getting to throw in the towels, lets let it play out the next 4-6 weeks

yea currently im seeing a winter that could be a little better than last but not by much, really a stinker again. we really need that ENSO signal to become stronger to have a chance at a better winter or else every other teleconnector would be close to nill. but like you said the next several weeks into beginning of november will be very importanto see what were looking at with some confidence as we head into december and the latter winter months. stay strong everyone were only two weeks into fall and some members are getting to throw in the towels, lets let it play out the next 4-6 weeks

Lets wait till November to see where we are before we make any guesses on this upcoming winter. A lot of people throughout the internet already made winter calls. I think that's a bit premature especially after last winter. All I have been hearing are good things about this upcoming winter. I mentioned that 1976-1977 are being thrown around by some mets online and 2008-2009 . 2008-2009 I believe was a neutral enso winter.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't get my hopes up or down this early in the season. I'm just speculating on what things look like right now, but I'm not planning on making an actual winter forecast until later in November this year. I think those 3-4 weeks before winter are fairly important in determining pattern trends.

I'm not crazy about the trends in ENSO; it looks like the Niño will crap out early like 51-52. The PDO remains stubbornly negative which suggests that if we do see some cold air entering the US, the mean trough could be well west of us. The main thing giving me hope is the -EPO pattern that's developed so far this fall bringing early arctic air to the Plains. I remember some hints of this in 2009 as well. The MJO also looks to be heading towards a more Nino like regime which may suggest the +ENSO isn't entirely finished.

Agree - it would really help us out if the Nino continued weak through the winter, but some recent guidance has it peaking or alread past peak. Not that we can't have a good winter with neutral ENSO -- we can, but it'll take more help from the NAO/AO, given the Pacific state. Negative PDO winters can be quite cold as well, though we certainly do better snow wise with a less negative PDO.

where can i find temp/snow data for Farmingdale, Republic Airport?

You can get temp data from NCDC, though you'll have to pay for it. You might try wunderground as a cheap alternative, though the data may not be "exactly" correct, especially if ASOS communications were down.

No snow data exists for Farmingdale, Republic Airport as far as I am aware.

Temps this winter will finish 2 below in NYC with 30 inches of Snow . This winter will NOT be a dud by any stretch , For those of you who disagree bookmark this and bring it back up on March 30 th , Now thats a forecast ! You can all wait until Nov or Dec to make yours .

But this is mine, I like it and Im gona ride it .

Temps this winter will finish 2 below in NYC with 30 inches of Snow . This winter will NOT be a dud by any stretch , For those of you who disagree bookmark this and bring it back up on March 30 th , Now thats a forecast ! You can all wait until Nov or Dec to make yours .

But this is mine, I like it and Im gona ride it .

Can you tell us how you came to this coming winters solution?

Can you tell us how you came to this coming winters solution?

Sure, speaking to some of the largest energy traders in the street the consensus is 1 to 2 below normal in Notheast ( I TOOK TOP END ) with normal snowfall ( I TOOK TOP END ) . Take a peak at NAT GAS in the last month fund managers are gearing up for a draw down in supply this winter in the northeast . Buying out month upside calls ( rates are low , so the carry is cheap ) and selling downside puts to finance it ..

I have not run into too many fund managers who`s private METS believe this winter is a warm one in the northeast .Drillers are starting to filter back into the marcelles shale increasing production

you dont do that infront of warm winters .

You guys can debate model run to model run , and you can guess the strength of the El Nino

and what kind of blocking takes hold .As of now there are models already looking colder than they did a month ago .

As for me I am giving you some insight on what Derivatives traders r thinking

hope that helps clarifies it .

The traders and their mets don't have some sort of psychic knowledge the rest of us don't. I could not care less what some private met told an energy trader.

I am just telling what consensus is . These are some of the smartest METS in the private sector

These are some of the largest money managers on the street .

These guys get paid alot of money for perfromance ,top level guys make money for a reason .

Its ok to disagree , its your right

But ok thats my forecast minus 2- and 30 inches or at least thats what my " psychic knowledge " tells me

Snow & ice comparisons.

2 days ago on the left, same day last year in the middle, and the first noticeable snowpack in the lower 48 last year on right. (Oct 27)

There's obviously an earlier snow pack this year but on the same token more snow in "Northern" Canada last year on the day of October 6th. Most will melt soon anyway in U.S.

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/ARCHIVE/NHem/2012/

snow17.jpg

Archived