joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tri-State Fire and Drought Wx Obs.

Snowlover76

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen a brush fire since 2010. Even then I don't remember all these never-ending red flag warnings despite the fact that the landscape was very brown/yellow/white, ugly, and thirsty. It looks lush right now compared to Summer 2010.

I remember in the summer of 02 we had a brown haze and smell of smoke from fires up in Canada for several days.

The pine barren fires are sill visible today (the burn areas are still noticeable)

...have to disagree with you on that one ..i live out here(eastport) and the burn areas are totally recovered..the one spot i've looked at over the years (just N of sunrise..between exits 61 & 63..

eastport/westhampton)..that area was devasted..and now when you drive past it..its green and thriving.

..kinda rooting for the dry weather to continue..but not to the level of '95.

From uptons wording tomorrow might be the highest fire threat all year so far

It will be because of low dew points and windy conditions.

My forecast for tomorrow:

Monday: Increasing clouds, with a high near 62. Windy, with a west wind between 21 and 26 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph.

...have to disagree with you on that one ..i live out here(eastport) and the burn areas are totally recovered..the one spot i've looked at over the years (just N of sunrise..between exits 61 & 63..

eastport/westhampton)..that area was devasted..and now when you drive past it..its green and thriving.

..kinda rooting for the dry weather to continue..but not to the level of '95.

Of course it has recovered as the pine barrens cannot exist without fire. But the burn areas are still noticeable in that the pitch pines and scrub oaks in the burn areas are noticeable shorter and less mature then in neighboring areas.

Fair Lawn had a large brush fire earlier that burned down an entire playground also. Several minutes later they had a house fire that was extremely difficult to fight because of the wind. Wanaque had a 6 alarm fire last night that involved five buildings, also driven primarily by the wind.

This crap about urban areas not having fire danger....its not just the dry air, its the winds that create dangerous fire conditions. Wind driven fires are notorious firemen killers in NYC, smaller fires that would be knocked down quickly are now multiple alarms, embers from fires sparking other fires....

This crap about urban areas not having fire danger....its not just the dry air, its the winds that create dangerous fire conditions. Wind driven fires are notorious firemen killers in NYC, smaller fires that would be knocked down quickly are now multiple alarms, embers from fires sparking other fires....

and 2 fireman died in Philly last night from a wind whipped fire..

People don't realize a bad fire can turn into holy mother ****@# in seconds. Several years ago i had to bail out a 2nd floor window from a wind driven multi unit condo fire, good thing there was a ladder at that particular window. I was going out regardless, i was burning, jumping was the lesser of the 2 evils.

Example fire jumped expressway in staten

Isn't dry weather great?

I wonder if those local mets will be all smiles when they are forecasting another week of no rain?

Its also the constant direction of the wind. Due north to northwest, creating very low dew points and very low humidity.

The fire threat wouldn't be that high if we had high dews and high humidity, even without rain.

Its also the constant direction of the wind. Due north to northwest, creating very low dew points and very low humidity.

The fire threat wouldn't be that high if we had high dews and high humidity, even without rain.

But the fact that we have not had that much rain is not helping us out.

But the fact that we have not had that much rain is not helping us out.

Of course. But with a constant north wind and very low humidity and dew points, a fire threat can happen pretty quickly. Even if it rained 2" a week before.

Archived