gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Early April Winter Pattern Likely

CoastalWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah all models had it pushing into NYC and then sort of halting or slowing down.

Its just amazing to me that a prolonged below normal regime will not lock in, I said it yesterday, but it felt so damn cold, yet departures were [retty boring -3 -4 ish. Throw in another potential well above normal 3 days early next week. It just seems crazy to bet against warmth averaging out right now, even though shorter wavelengths, cut offs and a slightly -nao and favorable mjo could yield a little white.

Its just amazing to me that a prolonged below normal regime will not lock in, I said it yesterday, but it felt so damn cold, yet departures were [retty boring -3 -4 ish. Throw in another potential well above normal 3 days early next week. It just seems crazy to bet against warmth averaging out right now, even though shorter wavelengths, cut offs and a slightly -nao and favorable mjo could yield a little white.

I wonder how long a + departure (overall monthly) can last.

I wonder how long a + departure (overall monthly) can last.

well, here its month 13 in a row, and the last 6 being very impressive. Honestly, I would welcome some snow saturday, I just do not see it happening, the rain today was very encouraging and much needed

It's not the same torch pattern...quite the opposite. The way you're going to get + temp departures is from lack of snow cover to our north. Bootleg warm departures, but regardless..that's how it could mute the cold. However, despite a possible interlude Monday or Tuesday (which is highly suspect here), I do not see a "warm" pattern at all. At least at the moment. It doesn't mean you can't have mild days..we will. The ensembles do try to flirt a warm airmass near us from time to time so it could happen..but it also could be very backdoor-ish too.

It's not the same torch pattern...quite the opposite. The way you're going to get + temp departures is from lack of snow cover to our north. Bootleg warm departures, but regardless..that's how it could mute the cold. However, despite a possible interlude Monday or Tuesday (which is highly suspect here), I do not see a "warm" pattern at all. At least at the moment. It doesn't mean you can't have mid days..we will. The ensembles do try to flirt a warm airmass near us from time to time so it could happen..but it also could be very backdoor-ish too.

The point is I do not see a lets say 2 or 3 week period that averages below normal. Sure it we will have cool days, but this is remarkable in the fact that for the last 6 months everywhere I dont think sne has had a sustained below normal period of multiple weeks. I am in no way shape or form saying its +30 days, not even close but where the hell is a negative month?? Its kind of depressing.

The point is I do not see a lets say 2 or 3 week period that averages below normal. Sure it we will have cool days, but this is remarkable in the fact that for the last 6 months everywhere I dont think sne has had a sustained below normal period of multiple weeks. I am in no way shape or form saying its +30 days, not even close but where the hell is a negative month?? Its kind of depressing.

Above normal from now until Oct would be fine by me.

We had plenty of late spring early summer temps in March, I hope we can lock into a wetter pattern that yields some sunny days with temps around 55-65, the sun is so strong this time of year, that temp range is perfectly comfortable, I enjoy the slow transition.

Its been too warm too fast, even for me.

I know what you mean. I don't see weeks of it either right now. I think if we do go into a more "nino" regime...it favors nrn tier warmth. It will also depend on the NAO, because that will always have a big say in our pattern. If you want QPF, seeing a more yo-yo pattern is favorable for moisture. It's the fast flow +AO and -PNA that has kept us dry and mild. In the mean time, I think we are done with big prolonged + departures for now.

I know what you mean. I don't see weeks of it either right now. I think if we do go into a more "nino" regime...it favors nrn tier warmth. It will also depend on the NAO, because that will always have a big say in our pattern. If you want QPF, seeing a more yo-yo pattern is favorable for moisture. It's the fast flow +AO and -PNA that has kept us dry and mild. In the mean time, I think we are done with big prolonged + departures for now.

I think we say very very dry thru May with most of the qpf coming from fropas like today..We are heading for big trouble..Dry NW flows are brutal until convective season in June/July

Is the euro showing any warm temps for next week or is it just the GFS and the GEFS by themselves?

Euro tries to warm us up, but it's kind of brief...especially up this way. The ensembles do hint at warm weather, but I could envision a front nearby as well.

Euro tries to warm us up, but it's kind of brief...especially up this way. The ensembles do hint at warm weather, but I could envision a front nearby as well.

There might be a secondary reflection on the cutter that keeps us from really warming up...but if we do torch from the cutter, its likely to be pretty brief...day or two at most and then we get socked into that ULL from hell that spins over usfor days after.

There might be a secondary reflection on the cutter that keeps us from really warming up...but if we do torch from the cutter, its likely to be pretty brief...day or two at most and then we get socked into that ULL from hell that spins over usfor days after.

I think the 6 or 12z gfs had a pretty robust secondary signal today....

Yeah I'm kind of meh on the warmth right now because of that possibility. But that's also quite the trough out west. The one thing that is back and may mute the warm spell is the blocking up to our north. The previous big warm spell had a raging +AO. Models will be everywhere next week i think and then the ULL rots over us. It would be nice to try and capitalize on all these ULLs over the next two weeks.

Archived