northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Early April Winter Pattern Likely

CoastalWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was I school so I really did not look too much into it either. But I'm done with snow. I'm in severe Wx mode now.

If it can snow I'll take it...we still have at least another 6 weeks anyways before we see any real, legit severe threats that will actually have a chance to produce. I'm pumped for Friday night!

Its a classic SWFE track on the shortwave for an SNE snow event...unfortunately its the NAM and we need to see the Euro come on board. But given the model swings that have been going on, its certainly possible.

Looks like a solid advisory event with maybe a few lollis into the warning range...esp out in the Berkshires where the lift is better as they are further removed from the meat grinder confluence.

If it can snow I'll take it...we still have at least another 6 weeks anyways before we see any real, legit severe threats that will actually have a chance to produce. I'm pumped for Friday night!

Agree but for my area it's not too likely. But have fun with whatever you get up there. I think it will be a decent April event. Hopefully next winter is better.

Its a classic SWFE track on the shortwave for an SNE snow event...unfortunately its the NAM and we need to see the Euro come on board. But given the model swings that have been going on, its certainly possible.

Looks like a solid advisory event with maybe a few lollis into the warning range...esp out in the Berkshires where the lift is better as they are further removed from the meat grinder confluence.

Verbatim it is a great run for most of SNE, especially W SNE. Unfortunately, the NAM often seems a bit overdone in this time frame WRT to SWFEs running into a confluent flow. I bet GFS comes in rather suppressed. Hard to tell what Euro will do, but I bet it comes in between the two. If I had to make my pick for a sweet spot in this event it is Poconos and southern Catskills, maybe NW CT if the confluence doesn't tear up the precip shield.

Verbatim it is a great run for most of SNE, especially W SNE. Unfortunately, the NAM often seems a bit overdone in this time frame WRT to SWFEs running into a confluent flow. I bet GFS comes in rather suppressed. Hard to tell what Euro will do, but I bet it comes in between the two. If I had to make my pick for a sweet spot in this event it is Poconos and southern Catskills, maybe NW CT if the confluence doesn't tear up the precip shield.

Yeah until other guidance comes in more amped, it doesn't mean much yet. Though it was encouraging to see the SREFs bump northward a good tick...so hopefully that is supportive of further north trend with other guidance, but we'll have to just wait and see.

hmmm...

The NAM is very interesting moving through Saturday, the main precip shield that impacts us Friday night into Saturday is actually well out ahead of the two main s/w's. During the day on Saturday the two energies sort of split, with the southern portion of the energy actually becoming negatively tilted and it really starts to dig just off to our west, meanwhile the northern piece of energy just passes to our north. The NAM tries to get that coastal going, however, the phase occurs just to late. Regardless though, the NAM does hang back quite a bit of moisture and there is still plenty of lift around so it's possible we could see off an on snow showers throughout the day and even some nice upslope snows for the Berks.

Agreed. 5-8:10 ratios probably considering the warm start we've had to spring and lack of good soil temps. Temp. swing will be a lot like 10/29.

Ratios are often very elevation dependent in late season events...they usually run around 8 or 9 to 1 here in April events but I've seen it at 13 or 15 to 1 if the snow is falling heavily with good snow growth.

If the snow is generally moderate or less, its closer to 8 to 1 which is what we had here last April 1st. We had 6.5" on about .75 of liquid.

Wow...congrats Geneva, Syracuse, Utica corridor along the NYS Thruway. That's over and inch of QPF. Even Logan11 does really well this run. Confluence FTL further east.

Maybe one of the few times I'd rather be at my old stomping grounds in Ithaca, NY than here for a synoptic snow event.

That's what I was thinking... the most robust model has less than 1/2" QPF but I'm sure somehow that's a 4-8" forecast.

He'd say this:

Well the gfs should never be considered...so toss that. Then you have the GGEM,SREFS, and NAM all giving a decent snow event to CT...so therefore the euro is an outlier.

Then he'd throw in something about how the pattern supports it,,,toss a few AWTs...and then throw out some AFD from central NY that says they are considering advisories in a few shifts.

Archived